2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

is there a way to get cruise control to stay on

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:48 PM
emanaresi
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a way to get cruise control to stay on

Only on Fords that I have owned does the cruise control default to off when you turn the car off and back on.

Am I doing something wrong?

I want the cruise control main to stay on so I don't have to press the on button before being able to set the cruise speed.

I know this probably seems like it is no big deal... And it's not, but it would be nice.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
That’s what it’s supposed to do; turn off when the truck is off

Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM
emanaresi
Freshman User
I understand that is what Ford has decided it should do, but our VW, Honda and the Mazda we used to have, if you turned it on it would still be on when you turned the car back on.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by emanaresi
Only on Fords that I have owned does the cruise control default to off when you turn the car off and back on.

Am I doing something wrong?

I want the cruise control main to stay on so I don't have to press the on button before being able to set the cruise speed.

I know this probably seems like it is no big deal... And it's not, but it would be nice.
Nope......Once the vehicle is turned off, cruise control is turned off. Also, regardless if it would stay on like some vehicles, one still has to hit the button to activate it or when the intended speed is reached so you`re really only talking about hitting one button or two.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:00 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
First, I can’t think of a single vehicle I’ve owned that could default to “on” like you describe. Seems like a real potential safety issue to me.
I am not aware of any method to accomplish what you want. Though it occurs to me that you could disassemble the switch and hard wire it.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:00 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by seville009
That’s what it’s supposed to do; turn off when the truck is off
LOL...............True.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM
ShotgunZ71
Tuned
Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts
Minor annoyance, but I've gotten used to it as well. Guess the whiners with the start-stop engines need to get used to turning that off each time as well, rather than drown each other in tears on online forums! No big deal, just press a button. After all, they did START the damn thing to being the trip.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:04 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71
Minor annoyance, but I've gotten used to it as well. Guess the whiners with the start-stop engines need to get used to turning that off each time as well, rather than drown each other in tears on online forums! No big deal, just press a button. After all, they did START the damn thing to being the trip.
lol.............so very true. Just reach up and hit the button.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:04 PM
emanaresi
Freshman User
eh...like I said, really not a big deal, maybe it is a domestic vs import thing, who knows.

The VW actually has a toggle switch on the stalk that turns the cruise main on and off. So it does not reset when the car is turned off.

The Honda and Mazda, it just stays on...

My old F150 was just like the new 350, I just find it a little annoying. I go to set the cruise out of habit and nothing happens because I forgot to turn it on.

Just something to get used to, not a big deal. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:18 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of my prior vehicles it would be on when I started the vehicle. Mostly GMs and Hondas. Never a "safety concern" with any of those vehicles. IDK if it is possible to modify the power to that switch via FORSCAN or not. I asked the same question about the engine brake and never got a real answer. Mostly just got the response saying "it's just a simple push of a button" or it's just a minor annoyance." I use the engine brake 90% of the time I go anywhere and the cruise probably 60% of the time, so it would be nice to have them just stay on, which is why the question was asked. The real "minor annoyance" here is people only sharing opinions about why they feel there's no need to figure this out and not sharing anything meaningful about the ability to accomplish it.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:23 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,672 Likes on 2,742 Posts
I think a majority of the responses on the exhaust brake were that they would like it to retain the setting, or at the very least, come on when the truck sees that there is a trailer connected.

I don't have any of my vehicles that retain the cruise control setting. Would it be nice? Yeah, but I'm not that enthusiastic about that feature.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:30 PM
STIBUILDER
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I think a majority of the responses on the exhaust brake were that they would like it to retain the setting, or at the very least, come on when the truck sees that there is a trailer connected.

I don't have any of my vehicles that retain the cruise control setting. Would it be nice? Yeah, but I'm not that enthusiastic about that feature.
Plus 1 on the Exhaust Brake, my 2007 Kodiak just has a switch. But its exhaust brake is insanely good.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
My 16 3500hd Chevy would “stay on” after you started back up meaning the light would be on but you would have to hit the “set” button to engage it again. Basically it saved you one push of a button on the steering wheel.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a '15 Chevy Tahoe PPV for work and the cruise does stay on each time I start the truck, but still have to set the speed each time. I like having it already on so I can just set the speed I want. Neither of my Super Duties have stayed on, and I don't recall any of the Ford's I've owned that did.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Msu50000
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slapshot12
I have a '15 Chevy Tahoe PPV for work and the cruise does stay on each time I start the truck, but still have to set the speed each time. I like having it already on so I can just set the speed I want.
Agree. Escalade is ready to be "set", it eliminates push of one button, simple thing but every single time we take a trip and I get back into the Ford it is something I notice and would appreciate.

Quick Reply: is there a way to get cruise control to stay on