1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump: buy reman or DIY rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM
cc_rider
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump: buy reman or DIY rebuild?

Howdy all!
Longtime member but rarely visit. Last time I was here I needed a water pump, and got the fancy one with the integrated filter. I'm changing it soon, I'll cut it open to show what it collected.
My early-99 F250 (7.3) needs a new PS pump. I searched Tech but didn't find anything. Rebuilt pumps run $30-$70, the rebuild kit is $5-10 (Rockauto). I've heard horror stories about rebuilt stuff: Quality varies widely, and doesn't correlate with price.
I'm a pretty handy guy, with plenty of tools. It doesn't seem like a pump rebuild could be that difficult. Anybody done it? Tips and tricks? Or are you better off just going to Advance or O'Reillys and biting the bullet?
Thank you, this is a great forum!
c.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Is the pump just leaking? If so then the 10.00 kit will cover it. But it's just easier for me to just get a motorcraft reman and be done with it.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM
cc_rider
Junior User
I'm pretty sure it's just leaking. It started whining, checked the fluid and it was okay but I topped it off, that helped. Soon after it started whining again. Reservoir was empty, added fluid and whine went away. Now it's whining again, and the reservoir is empty again. Underneath there's a thick coat of black sludge. All signs point to leaking.

I'm between work projects so I have a little time, and the old girl needs some attention anyway. I'm sure either the idler or tensioner is going bad, air filter needs cleaning, change the coolant filter, etc. I'll probably take it in for an oil change, just because it's so much dang oil it's hard to deal with. I have a buddy who owns a shop, he never charges me enough for an oil change anyway.

I'm tempted to get the kit and take a shot at it. Gotta pull it for the core charge anyway. Worst case I end up buying the reman after all.
c.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Isn't there a better power steering pump for these trucks? Thought I heard there was. Mine is a pain...sometimes at stand still it is like turning a manual steering gear box.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:31 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

https://leepowersteering.com/product...-7-3-1999-2003Yes there is a very nice PS upgrade. Depends on if you want to spend the 800 or not.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
buy a rebuilt pump and forget the overhaul. You pump shaft and housing probably has wear that a rebuild won't fix. Also, many parts from your lcoal part store have unlimited warranty.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:49 PM
cc_rider
Junior User
Update on PS pump replacement...

Okay, after WAY too many trips to Advance Auto, got the new PS pump in. While i had the hood up i figured a coolant flush and fill wouldn't hurt. I did cut open the coolant filter: didn't really find anything significant. No noticeable grit, but who knows what smaller stuff it got. Anyway...

Got the PS pump buttoned up so could do the flush, and started her up to check for PS fluid leaks. It was POURING out the bottom! Ugh. Turned it off and inspected the likely culprits. Low pressure lines were fine. High pressure line was wet but I'd spilled some fluid. Cleaned it up. Started her up again and looked at the PS pump. Fluid running out high pressure line like crazy! Through the middle, not around the nut. Obviously the flare (?) fitting didn't seal, but what did i do wrong?

Anybody done this before? Suggestions? I've screwed around with this all week, i don't want to replace the HP hose unless it's necessary.
Help!
C.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I did mine didn’t have a problem, did you verify they gave you the correct pump? The wrong pump may have a different flare...

Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Fittings tight?

I replaced the pump on my 99V10 with a Motorcraft Reman a couple years ago along with one of the hoses because I jacked up the fitting. Mainly due to a Duralast/Autozone Flare wrench.

Duralast on top, Husky on bottom.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
rour reman pump may be set up for an "O" ring rather than the flare fitting, I have seen that happen a few times.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:12 PM
cc_rider
Junior User
Update, again...

Okay, now I'm whipped. The new pump came with a little o-ring and a little teflon washer/seal. I used a mirror to see what the high pressure fitting on the pump looks like: threaded hole with flat bottom. So, o-ring seal, right? I put the washer on the flare(?) nut, and put the o-ring into the pump. Tightened it up. I too mangled the nut a bit, but the inside should be fine, right? Anyway, started it up and fluid is still gushing out. Great. So from this discussion it seems pumps and hoses could be either flare or o-ring, and they're obviously incompatible. Now what?

I don't know how to specify the correct fittings, either on the pump or on the hose. Plus there's a ton of different hoses! For 'conventional', for 'hydroboost'(?), and on and on. How do you figure it out?

Old 12-22-2018, 02:18 PM
cc_rider
Junior User
Plus, i would just wrestle it to a mechanic, but it seems likely they'll have the same problems. At my expense.

I do not understand how it can be this complicated. Did Ford just use whatever random fittings they had lying around that day?

Old 12-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Magoo22
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I changed my steering box I had to work at stretching the white Teflon ring over the end of the fitting. It didn't look like it would fit but it did and nothing leaked. You might want to take a pic and make sure that the old one is not still in the female end.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:02 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

The power steering hose should be replaced regardless due to age, it also has a non replaceable I ring inside. See below cut open

Old 12-22-2018, 03:03 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Did you verify the high pressure fitting was the same between old and new pump? If not they must be swapped from old to new. The fitting and relief valve unscrew. See below what it looks like

Quick Reply: Power steering pump: buy reman or DIY rebuild?