Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 F150 Screw Lariat Frozen Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Rogue F350
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 F150 Screw Lariat Frozen Doors?

The temperature has dropped into the 20s here this week. I have found the doors will not close/latch. It has to warm up before they will work. Has anyone else had this problem? I have seen reports on a recall, but it is for the 2015 to 2017s. It is going into service to have it checked out.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 PM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Been in the 20s here and haven't had it happen yet. Did have my radio stay on when opened the door. Went inside work and came back out, radio still on. Opened door started truck, turned truck off, opened door, radio turned off then. Strange

Old 12-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Rogue F350
Junior User
I have just been reading in the Super Duty forum that some of them are having the problem also. :-( I think I am going to get video to prove the problem.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's been a problem since 2015. Read on.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...status-402319/

Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a recall out there for this problem on this gen of trucks. There is also a newly released repair update because the original repair was insufficient.

I just had the updated repair completed this week. My service manager was venting to me because it takes two days to complete He also said the new aluminum SD’s inherited the problem.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Rogue F350
Junior User
Originally Posted by msgtord
It's been a problem since 2015. Read on.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...status-402319/
Thank you That is a helpful thread. I had not come across it in my searching. It helps document it is still happing even with the 2018s. I understand it happens with the Super Duty also. That makes sense because they share bodies.

I went out this morning to video it and it did not fail. 23F which has been about the same as mornings it has failed.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Rogue F350
Junior User
Originally Posted by bedwards
Been in the 20s here and haven't had it happen yet. Did have my radio stay on when opened the door. Went inside work and came back out, radio still on. Opened door started truck, turned truck off, opened door, radio turned off then. Strange
Wow, that is strange. Very odd.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
My Super Cab driver door did it the first winter I owned it at 5 a.m. when I was trying to leave for work. I slammed the door a few times and it latched. This was like January 17'. I sprayed the latch liberally with super tech lubricant and then with white grease. It didn't do it the rest of that winter. The next fall I sprayed liberally with the lubricant, but not the white grease. It made it several freezing days without issue, but it then returned. Once you get the door open, hit the lock button before you shut it and it will stay closed , that works for me every time. I got the first recall, the water shields done last year around March and it did it again the next below freezing day. It started acting up this year already. I did the lubricant followed by the white grease and it has worked perfect the last week since I did that, all mornings have been in the 20's. Luckily for me, I've always had a functioning passenger door and I can reach across and open the driver door with the inside handle. I have a Silver truck, I was wondering if the lighter colored trucks are more prone to this? The doors seem to get an extreme amount of condensation in them. My tailgate has never froze either....... There was at least one post on this forum https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-recall.html

( I spray into the key hole, pull the handle and spray in and around it, in the latch and around the latch body, between the latch and the door with the straw. I pull the little round door bump plug out and spray in there. This definitely seems to help displace/prevent the water from building up/freezing)

Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
I have a Silver truck, I was wondering if the lighter colored trucks are more prone to this?

I have a white truck and I had the problem on the first cold morning. No issues since the recall was performed however.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When I lived in cold country everyone kept a bottle of graphite lubricant in the tool box and would give the locks a spray the night before a cold spell. No frozen locks.

But we seldom had below freezing weather for more than a few days at a time.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Rogue F350
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
My Super Cab driver door did it the first winter I owned it at 5 a.m. when I was trying to leave for work. I slammed the door a few times and it latched. This was like January 17'. I sprayed the latch liberally with super tech lubricant and then with white grease. It didn't do it the rest of that winter. The next fall I sprayed liberally with the lubricant, but not the white grease. It made it several freezing days without issue, but it then returned. Once you get the door open, hit the lock button before you shut it and it will stay closed , that works for me every time. I got the first recall, the water shields done last year around March and it did it again the next below freezing day. It started acting up this year already. I did the lubricant followed by the white grease and it has worked perfect the last week since I did that, all mornings have been in the 20's. Luckily for me, I've always had a functioning passenger door and I can reach across and open the driver door with the inside handle. I have a Silver truck, I was wondering if the lighter colored trucks are more prone to this? The doors seem to get an extreme amount of condensation in them. My tailgate has never froze either....... There was at least one post on this forum https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-recall.html

( I spray into the key hole, pull the handle and spray in and around it, in the latch and around the latch body, between the latch and the door with the straw. I pull the little round door bump plug out and spray in there. This definitely seems to help displace/prevent the water from building up/freezing)
Thanks, I am going to try this.

BTW … mine is Black. Not sure it has anything to do with color of the truck.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:23 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rogue F350
Thanks, I am going to try this.

BTW … mine is Black. Not sure it has anything to do with color of the truck.
Okay. I was just wondering if the lighter color trucks got more condensation or something weird, but I guess it's just a random thing. Weird....

Old 12-08-2018, 01:57 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This last week, my 2015 finally started doing this, I guess it's time to schedule an appointment .......

Old 12-09-2018, 02:05 PM
pikapp
Senior User
Originally Posted by onug
There is a recall out there for this problem on this gen of trucks. There is also a newly released repair update because the original repair was insufficient.

I just had the updated repair completed this week. My service manager was venting to me because it takes two days to complete He also said the new aluminum SD’s inherited the problem.
Two days to complete the updated repair huh. Well that answers the wife's question, we're taking ours back in this Wed.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:46 PM
yellowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are posts on that other F150 forum on this issue. I think it is more widespread than most people realize. Pathetic it has not been solved in 4 model years.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 Screw Lariat Frozen Doors?