1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 f100 has hesitation and backfiring

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Damonj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 f100 has hesitation and backfiring

1972 F100. 2wd. 390. Truck started hesitating when I accelerate and some time backfires. Twice now the truck has died when I take off and wouldn’t restart. Waited 5 min and started up. Since this has gotten worse. It now has a very rough idle and almost dies. I started chasing gas delivery. Replaced two gas filters. Replaced valve on bottom of carb and replace accelerator pump diaphragm. Nothing changed. Changed fuel pump tonight. Seems to accelerate better but still hesitates and truck barely runs at idle. Not sure where to go with this. Any ideas?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Timing and point gap?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Damonj
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Timing and point gap?
I thought about timing but dismissed as I haven’t touched anything to affect it. I did a tuneup this summer and all was perfect then and has been running good. I guess I need to check. My first old truck and I am learning. What would cause timing or point gap to just go out?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Are you running points in the distributor? Defective points and condenser is what he's getting at. Rubbing block on distributor cam could be worn down excessive, and the ignition condensers sold at auto parts stores today are not good.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 PM
Damonj
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Are you running points in the distributor? Defective points and condenser is what he's getting at. Rubbing block on distributor cam could be worn down excessive, and the ignition condensers sold at auto parts stores today are not good.
ok. Thanks. I am running points. Will take look tomorrow evening. Learning as I go on this project.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

These days you are lucky to get 5k out of a set of points and condenser.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
These days you are lucky to get 5k out of a set of points and condenser.
More like 5 minutes! NOS points are plentiful and cheap, the condensers are too, but they are starting to show their age. Motorcraft still makes both or did up until recently. Can't cheap out on ignition parts.

Running contact points have a lot of little "gotchas" that most people don't know about anymore, like lubing the distributor cam with a light film of high temp cam grease, so the rubbing block doesn't wear down right away and close up the gap. Even so, it should be checked again after 500 miles or so with a new set of points as they wear a little bit before settling in. Dwell meters are another lost art too.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Rode in a Honda CVCC with bad points... same symptoms your rig is showing.

..Switching to a Pertronix unit is a worthwhile concession to modernity.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Tedster9

More like 5 minutes! NOS points are plentiful and cheap, the condensers are too, but they are starting to show their age. Motorcraft still makes both or did up until recently. Can't cheap out on ignition parts.

Running contact points have a lot of little "gotchas" that most people don't know about anymore, like lubing the distributor cam with a light film of high temp cam grease, so the rubbing block doesn't wear down right away and close up the gap. Even so, it should be checked again after 500 miles or so with a new set of points as they wear a little bit before settling in. Dwell meters are another lost art too.
What's your source for the NOS parts? I can't find anything except cheap aftermarket.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:06 PM
shorty73
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for installing a points eliminator kit. Eliminates problems with shaft slop affecting dwell and the problems people mention above.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
What's your source for the NOS parts? I can't find anything except cheap aftermarket.
Ebay always has a passle of them. Keep in mind the distributor itself has to be in good shape for points to give satisfactory service. Mechanically, any "slop" or sideplay due to worn bushings/shaft will make you want to pull your hair out, because the dwell will never read the same twice. On the other hand, they will last a really long time when setup right. Years ago a tune-up was maybe a twice a year affair, when people drove ten or fifteen thousand miles a year and wanted to stay on top of things but most people take several years to put that many miles on their trucks now.

The condensers are more problematic. Overseas import condensers are complete Scheiße ; I've experimented with modern 600 volt DC poly film capacitors like the "Orange Drop", these work good. 0.22uF 715P Sprague, for example. They will handle the high pulse current that ignition service places on them. The smaller more compact capacitors are tempting, like the metalized film types but they can't handle the current. The Model T collector guys are the ones who actually hashed this out, because the originals are needing replacement by now. NOS ignition condensers will often work OK, but it's a crap shoot. They really need to be tested under rated voltage for "leakage", a capacitance test using a modern multimeter won't do this. They can also work OK when cold, but then start to fail when they get to normal operating temp. So there's a lot going on with those critters.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remove the distributor cap and rotor and try to wiggle the shaft. If there's play your bushings are history. Like Ted said everything has to be in good condition to run points. A Pertronix ignitor is the way to go for a stock distributor.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 AM
braol
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your point gap! Be careful with a worn distributor and electronic ignition set-up. My distributor shaft and cam were so worn that my Igniter-2 sensor was getting 'slapped' by the magnet and failed...I am now (temporarily) running points again. Your distributor has to be in decent shape even for the electronic ignition set-up, although it can be forgiving of a sloppy distributor to a point. I now have a new Pertronix billet aluminum distributor with the Igniter-3 and am waiting for some time/warmer weather to throw it in the truck.

One positive effect of having dealt with my distributor issues is that I am now a pro when it comes to setting up and testing the ignition. I also have a '31 Ford that is a good learning platform because it is so basic.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Mach428
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same symptoms and it ended up being a bad coil

Old 12-23-2018, 02:47 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
A loose bolt on the Distributor hold down can allow the timing to go off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1972 f100 has hesitation and backfiring