2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

MOONROOF PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Meterman1993
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOONROOF PROBLEMS

I read few other treads on this Super Duty forum and it seems there have been some problems with the moonroof option? I plan on purchasing this option in a 2019 is this a bad option to have? Do they leak frequently? Does the track get stuck?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there are some that have had problems but I have a 19 and have had no such problems. We had 15” of rain 2 weeks ago and about 5” today and dry as can be. I HAVE taken the advice of many on here when I was waiting for my truck to crack the moonroof or “vent” it before opening it. I could see how that would help.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:53 AM
MadeInDade
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You're always going to hear the negative. Nobody is going to start a thread discussing how well their moonroof works. I have a '17, and I was apprehensive about the moonroof. I didn't want it, but the truck I bought off the lot had it. I've had zero issues with it. It has worked flawlessly for me.

PS. I also tinted my moonroof which a lot of people on here will tell you causes it to shatter in the heat. That's BS. I live in one of the most heat and sun intensive parts of the country and my roof is still intact.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:47 AM
mirageone
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was also apprehensive, go it on 2018 Lariat with dark leather. I llike it, really makes the interior feel open and bright. No problems at all with the unit for almost a year now. I live in South Florida and was worried about how hot it might make the cab, it does to some extent but its easliy controled by the ac, will tint it at some point but I am not in a hurry.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:00 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
The sticking occurs. Its best to open the vent when they have not been opened for a wile, its a safer way to un-stick it. Opening it with a sticking seal can pop the track. I noticed my 2017 sticking last summer and got the ford weather seal lube and it was good. The sun can bake the seal I guess. My 2015 stuck a little too but its smaller and it doesn't effect it like it does these huge roofs. These roofs are great and a little maintenance is expected.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that it's also prudent to clean out the drain tubes on some sort of regular timeframe. When they clog, water backs up and falls inside. After reading about the various panoramic roof issues, it became a deal-breaker to me. My dealer could not locate a KR equipped with LED/BLIS, 20" machined wheels and no pano-roof, so ordering one was my only option. The ultimate package did not interest me because it included chrome bumpers and mirror caps, and I'm no fan of chrome.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 AM
LCA078
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
My dealer could not locate a KR equipped with LED/BLIS, 20" machined wheels and no pano-roof, so ordering one was my only option. The ultimate package did not interest me because it included chrome bumpers and mirror caps, and I'm no fan of chrome.
Bingo for me too. I don't want the pano roof but would enjoy the multi-contour (massaging seats). Seems like you can only get these seats in the ultimate packages which means you get the pano roof. I don't think the chrome is standard in the KR ultimate package, at least in the 19's. I may just get the ultimate package and over tint the pano roof. I'm in central Texas and really don't care to have the sun beat on my neck...I actually get in my truck to avoid it!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 AM
2019er
Laughing Gas
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
No leaks here so far. Only had it a month, but it's been like a damn monsoon the entire month.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
‘11, ‘15, ‘17 & ‘19. Never a leak, never an issue, never used it either. Waste of money IMO.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 AM
A&Pmech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever try this on the sunroof tracks and seals:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...saAjPNEALw_wcB

Old 12-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also problem with them breaking the glass. More than one thread on it. I have had nothing but trouble with Ford moon roofs. My current truck has one just because I could not find one with everything on it BUT the moon roof. It will never be opened just hope it does not break the glass!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Meterman1993
I read few other treads on this Super Duty forum and it seems there have been some problems with the moonroof option? I plan on purchasing this option in a 2019 is this a bad option to have? Do they leak frequently? Does the track get stuck?
I`m sure there are more positive experiences with the Pano roof compared to negative experiences. With that being said, is this something you really need or want because once you have it and if you were to have problems with it, the novelty wears off quickly. Also, how often would you really use it. Personally, it`s just not worth it. Save to cash and spend it on a nice quality tint job and other accessories.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 578 Likes on 383 Posts
I never had a roof leak in any of my 5 Ford trucks from 2014-2019. But then again I made sure that I did't buy a truck with a Moon or Sunroof after learning a lesson on my 2000 Expedition.

The last ford product I had with a Sunroof was a 2000 Expedition. One night I left the sunroof open and it rained all night. I had to replace all the leather interior and carpeting due to water damage. After that I said never again.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LCA078
Bingo for me too. I don't want the pano roof but would enjoy the multi-contour (massaging seats). Seems like you can only get these seats in the ultimate packages which means you get the pano roof. I don't think the chrome is standard in the KR ultimate package, at least in the 19's. I may just get the ultimate package and over tint the pano roof. I'm in central Texas and really don't care to have the sun beat on my neck...I actually get in my truck to avoid it!

the pano roofs have a 100% sunshade that is powered that will cover the length of the pano roof so if you don’t the sun to come in you just push a Button and a sunshade the same fabric as the roof liner will cover it.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:34 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Elliott
the pano roofs have a 100% sunshade that is powered that will cover the length of the pano roof so if you don’t the sun to come in you just push a Button and a sunshade the same fabric as the roof liner will cover it.
That's true. I've also heard of several posters here (mostly Texans) add some sort of tint because that space between the glass and the sunshade becomes a hot, shallow oven.

Quick Reply: MOONROOF PROBLEMS