Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NEED SOME THOUGHTS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED SOME THOUGHTS PLEASE

i just replaced the positive main battery cable and the negative on the passenger side and now have no power to anything on my dash,lights, key on etc. on my 00 7.3l. I used a test light from the drivers side negative post and check all the fuses in the engine fuse box and have nothing there either. I used the oem cable on the positive cable that I replaced and hooked all the wires where the old ones were and made a new ground from the block to the frame? I am totally stumped and dont know where to start to figure out what went wrong? any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Old 11-21-2018, 05:39 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
Did you remember to connect the one offshoot on the main positive cable to the starter relay on the passenger fender?

Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Did you remember to connect the one offshoot on the main positive cable to the starter relay on the passenger fender?
^^^^^^^^^^ This right here. There are two that come off of the fender starter relay and they connect to the side that's always hot. Take a good picture of that starter relay and let us see what you have.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
yes. I have power to the relay and can jump the two main post on the relay and the starter will crank

Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
^^^^^^^^^^ This right here. There are two that come off of the fender starter relay and they connect to the side that's always hot. Take a good picture of that starter relay and let us see what you have.
I don't see a photo? did you post one? I will snap a shot of mine and add it in a bit

Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by hondamxr
yes. I have power to the relay and can jump the two main post on the relay and the starter will crank
Oh boy. That's about the only low-hanging fruit we can go after. Check all your grounds, especially the one at the firewall above the steering column. After that, it's time to break out the electrical schematics and slowly trace backwards from the fusebox until you find where you ARE getting voltage.

I'm assuming your truck was getting power okay prior to replacement of the cables?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OEM Motorcraft cables?

Doh. nevermind.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I don't see a photo? did you post one? I will snap a shot of mine and add it in a bit
I may have posted one a long time ago and am unable to find it now but I'm with FordTruckNoob that the relay should be checked for proper reconnections.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
There may be a "fuse-able link" in the cable that was blown or broken in the process of the replacement. I don't have a schematic in front of me so I don't know for sure.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:22 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
looks like iI will be chasing down wires in the morning. I did see in a wiring schematic about fusible links between the battery and main junction box. do you guys know where I should be looking for the first?

Old 11-22-2018, 01:23 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
thanks Hydro, I saw them on schematic but I'm not sure where to start looking for them?

Old 11-22-2018, 01:26 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Oh boy. That's about the only low-hanging fruit we can go after. Check all your grounds, especially the one at the firewall above the steering column. After that, it's time to break out the electrical schematics and slowly trace backwards from the fusebox until you find where you ARE getting voltage.

I'm assuming your truck was getting power okay prior to replacement of the cables?
yes there was, I just replaced the cables because the ends were stretched out and couldnt fully tighten them.

Last edited by hondamxr; 11-22-2018 at 01:27 AM. Reason: bad typing
Old 11-22-2018, 02:38 AM
Mike321
Senior User
yes there was, I just replaced the cables because the ends were stretched out and couldnt fully tighten them.
On the fender mounted starter solenoid, one side has a small positive red connector and on the other side there is a larger red cable connected to it. The larger side is constant power coming from your batteries. You should have two additional connections on the constant side of the solenoid. 1) A single wire that connects to the alternator 2) Connected to two wires, one goes to the PMC and I think the other goes to the glow plug circuit.

Below is a picture from an earlier model truck I found on Google. Does your reinstall look the same? I replaced all of my main battery cables this year on both sides with OEM cables, but one other thing stuck out, why did you have to run a separate ground on the passenger side?

Old 11-22-2018, 06:54 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by Mike321

Ah yes, this too. Good catch Mike321.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:55 AM
hondamxr
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mike321
On the fender mounted starter solenoid, one side has a small positive red connector and on the other side there is a larger red cable connected to it. The larger side is constant power coming from your batteries. You should have two additional connections on the constant side of the solenoid. 1) A single wire that connects to the alternator 2) Connected to two wires, one goes to the PMC and I think the other goes to the glow plug circuit.

Below is a picture from an earlier model truck I found on Google. Does your reinstall look the same? I replaced all of my main battery cables this year on both sides with OEM cables, but one other thing stuck out, why did you have to run a separate ground on the passenger side?

this is awesome ...Thanks. I ran a new ground wire from the block to the frame at the same location that the original was run. I had to do a new one because i bought a generic ground cable because ford said mine was obsolete. The original had a pigtail coming from it to go to the frame so I just kinda made the same situation connected to the same spots??? I was a lil pissed that ford said it was obsolete!!!

Quick Reply: NEED SOME THOUGHTS PLEASE