1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 AM
Philly driver
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering stabilizer

I bought a Fox steering stabilizer for my 2009 Ford E350; anybody have tried one like this already?

I read somewhere that there are three holes in the frame from the factory for this stabilizer assembly but they need to be tapped to match the hardware but I’m not sure if this applies for my van.

Anybody have any input in this?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a Ford steering stabilizer from a 2002 E350 ambulance on my 2004 E150 for awhile.
The bolts and nuts that came with the stabilizer fit the 3 existing holes in the frame with no tapping needed.
I was trying to solve a steering "wandering" problem, and the van just had new ball joints installed.
The tight ball joints plus the stabilizer made the steering wheel way too hard to turn, so I removed the stabilizer.
The "wandering" problem turned out to be mainly a worn lower bushing in the steering gearbox, and a worn
pitman arm bushing.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
As a suggestion before installing the stabilizer make sure the rest of your suspension is in near-new condition. My '03 E250 extended body work only van with 270K miles needs shocks and with my daily driver weight at 7,800 # its a handful to keep straight. New BIlstein's are in the mail but its not fun fighting the wheel to stay between the lines.

At any rate the stabilizer is a good idea but its not a cure for other issues or parts that need refreshing. I installed one using Ford parts and it didn't have any noticeable effect so it was removed and all sold to another member here---he loves it, go figure.

There are other threads here about this topic--link to two of them:

Steering Stabilizer 1

Steering Stabilizer 2

Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Harvard
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wandering corrected with +caster

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

Old 11-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Philly driver
Junior User
Originally Posted by simplebuck
I had a Ford steering stabilizer from a 2002 E350 ambulance on my 2004 E150 for awhile.
The bolts and nuts that came with the stabilizer fit the 3 existing holes in the frame with no tapping needed.
I was trying to solve a steering "wandering" problem, and the van just had new ball joints installed.
The tight ball joints plus the stabilizer made the steering wheel way too hard to turn, so I removed the stabilizer.
The "wandering" problem turned out to be mainly a worn lower bushing in the steering gearbox, and a worn
pitman arm bushing.
I went under my van and no holes, so I’ll have to drill those. Thank you for the tips, I’ll check my lower bushing in the steering gearbox, and the
pitman arm bushing just in case.

Originally Posted by JWA
As a suggestion before installing the stabilizer make sure the rest of your suspension is in near-new condition. My '03 E250 extended body work only van with 270K miles needs shocks and with my daily driver weight at 7,800 # its a handful to keep straight. New BIlstein's are in the mail but its not fun fighting the wheel to stay between the lines.
At any rate the stabilizer is a good idea but its not a cure for other issues or parts that need refreshing. I installed one using Ford parts and it didn't have any noticeable effect so it was removed and all sold to another member here---he loves it, go figure.
There are other threads here about this topic--link to two of them:
Steering Stabilizer 1
Steering Stabilizer 2
Thank you for the suggestion, actually I was thinking the same, to check all the suspensions components before changing anything else. I have 2 problems, one is to reaffirm the van when changing lanes, the other is that Philadelphia its like riding on the moon (on the ugly side) full of bumps and potholes so I’m trying to make the ride smoother for my back and my kids...
BIistein’s are on the wish list for sure, I just need to make sure nothing else need to changed.
Originally Posted by Harvard
Wandering corrected with +caster

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Thank you for the link, lots of good info!

Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Philly driver
Junior User

Finish the install today. I had to drill 4 holes in the frame, that was a major pain in the rear, but besides that it was straight forward.
Drove it an the ride is much better, still I need shocks but getting there.