1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Simple ? Wiring ? 1963 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:53 AM
okie trucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Simple ? Wiring ? 1963 F-100

I am replacing all light bulb sockets for front parking and rear taillights. I'm having trouble with left front. There is a 2 terminal plug at each light. I connected continuity tester to each terminal of the plug and it shows power, but I can't get the bulb to light up. Any one see a mistake I made ?

Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 AM
shipwrecked
Junior User
so I had an issue similar with my front right light a few weeks ago while installing wiring and bulbs. The little ear on the bulb was missing off the side. The nub going into the socket made contact with the connection, but the ground on the side (think frankenstiens neck plug) was broken off and I didn't see it. I had a ground wire to the core support hooked up correct.

Maybe something to look at. try that bulb in the other light socket.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by okie trucker
I am replacing all light bulb sockets for front parking and rear taillights. I'm having trouble with left front. There is a 2 terminal plug at each light. I connected continuity tester to each terminal of the plug and it shows power, but I can't get the bulb to light up. Any one see a mistake I made ?
Maybe this is just semantics, but are you saying you have power to both leads using the voltmeter?

If you are checking for continuity, you should not see any power, as that's what the voltmeter is for. A continuity check is to see if there is resistance or a break in a wire or continuity to ground, etc...

if the socket has power and the light doesn't light, then you probably don't have the socket grounded. With power to the socket, you have to have a ground to complete the path.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:12 PM
okie trucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Maybe this is just semantics, but are you saying you have power to both leads using the voltmeter?

If you are checking for continuity, you should not see any power, as that's what the voltmeter is for. A continuity check is to see if there is resistance or a break in a wire or continuity to ground, etc...

if the socket has power and the light doesn't light, then you probably don't have the socket grounded. With power to the socket, you have to have a ground to complete the path.
any "best" way to ground it ?

Old 11-18-2018, 12:14 PM
okie trucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by shipwrecked
so I had an issue similar with my front right light a few weeks ago while installing wiring and bulbs. The little ear on the bulb was missing off the side. The nub going into the socket made contact with the connection, but the ground on the side (think frankenstiens neck plug) was broken off and I didn't see it. I had a ground wire to the core support hooked up correct.

Maybe something to look at. try that bulb in the other light socket.
will try several bulbs

Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
any "best" way to ground it ?
The socket body should be in contact with the frame to provide the ground. If there is paint or rust preventing good contact, it should be removed. Or, you could solder a wire to the base and screw the other end into the frame. The most common electrical problem with our old trucks is no ground.

You said the left light isn't working. So the right light is working?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:55 PM
okie trucker
Senior User
The socket body should be in contact with the frame to provide the ground. If there is paint or rust preventing good contact, it should be removed. Or, you could solder a wire to the base and screw the other end into the frame. The most common electrical problem with our old trucks is no ground.

You said the left light isn't working. So the right light is working?
yes the right side works no problem. Not so left side

Old 11-18-2018, 07:02 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
yes the right side works no problem. Not so left side
Here's the circuit for the '63 from Fordification.com. It's quite simple. 12 volts supplied to either wire going into the socket will illuminate that filament IF the socket is grounded to the frame AND the filaments are not broken.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
A pen type test light works good, the inexpensive kind with the alligator clip. Start where everything works. Say at the firewall connector. If it doesn't work there, then it's something under the dash or in the steering column. Isolate it or divide in half that way. Turn the lights on, trip the turn signal, and verify that the test light illuminates at the firewall when grounded. Then reconnect the plug and move up closer to the front socket testing each connector along the way.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tedster9
A pen type test light works good, the inexpensive kind with the alligator clip. Start where everything works. Say at the firewall connector. If it doesn't work there, then it's something under the dash or in the steering column. Isolate it or divide in half that way. Turn the lights on, trip the turn signal, and verify that the test light illuminates at the firewall when grounded. Then reconnect the plug and move up closer to the front socket testing each connector along the way.
In his first post, he said he has power to both wires at the "plug".

Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
In his first post, he said he has power to both wires at the "plug".
Well he said it shows continuity or somesuch. Not sure what that means, I just figure electrical troubleshooting should start where it works and see where it don't.