2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Getting Ready to Order, Questions/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 PM
JlaneAK
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Ready to Order, Questions/Opinions

Looking to get some opinions on people that have driven these more than me.

Looking to order a 19 F250 CBSB SRW Blue Jeans/ Two Tone with Stone Gray
Lariat Ultimate
Tow Tech
FX4
20" Bright machine cast Aluminum wheels(Worth it?)
Front/Rear Slash Guards and Wheel Well Liners
Spray in Bed Liner
BLIS
Quad-Beam Headlights
LED Clearance Lights
Extended Running Boards
Adaptive Cruise Control
Garage Door opener
Upfitter Switches

We won't be towing much more than 6-8000 pounds so don't need anything DRW or anything.
This will be a daily driver so I thought the ride on the 250 would be better than the 350. WOuld you suggest a 350? Are there any big errors or changes you would suggest? This will be my first new SD and planning on keeping it for a while. So wan't to make sure I make the right decisions.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:06 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by JlaneAK
Looking to get some opinions on people that have driven these more than me.

Looking to order a 19 F250 CBSB SRW Blue Jeans/ Two Tone with Stone Gray
Lariat Ultimate
Tow Tech
FX4
20" Bright machine cast Aluminum wheels(Worth it?)
Front/Rear Slash Guards and Wheel Well Liners
Spray in Bed Liner
BLIS
Quad-Beam Headlights
LED Clearance Lights
Extended Running Boards
Adaptive Cruise Control
Garage Door opener
Upfitter Switches

We won't be towing much more than 6-8000 pounds so don't need anything DRW or anything.
This will be a daily driver so I thought the ride on the 250 would be better than the 350. WOuld you suggest a 350? Are there any big errors or changes you would suggest? This will be my first new SD and planning on keeping it for a while. So wan't to make sure I make the right decisions.
First Superduty? What happened to the dually 2017 Platinum Superduty you ordered and purchased before?

Old 11-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
F350 best choice. Avoid having to upgrade later. Everything is heavier now days. Carpet delete. Tailgate ladder gotta have. Buy capability. Blis very cool.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 PM
JlaneAK
Junior User
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
First Superduty? What happened to the dually 2017 Platinum Superduty you ordered and purchased before?
We ended up selling that one before it even had 1500 miles on it. We had plans to purchase a 5th wheel but a few life changes made that not possible. So it sat for a few months before we decided to sell it. So I don't really count that as I barely drove it at all. Lost some money on it, but again life changes forced our hand. And actually we didn't end up with the ordered one as it didn't have upfitter switches and the dealer said they will add them at the dealership. Which isn't possible. We ended up with a Blue Jeans Dually but still almost no miles on it.

Any input on the original post would be desired though.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:30 PM
JlaneAK
Junior User
Bump. for the day crowd

Old 11-17-2018, 04:29 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 530 Likes on 299 Posts
F250 if gasser. F350 if diesel. Doesn't seem like you need a diesel.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:48 PM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...........WOuld you suggest a 350?............
I went for the 350. It will do everything I want and then some. No upgrade needed.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the 250 rides better than the 350. Mine is also an FX4 CCSB. If you aren't going to tow more than what you said there is no need for the 350.

I got the 6.7, not because I needed it but because its awesome.

Get the tailgate step or you will regret it.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
I don't have my 2019 F-350 Lariat CCLB 4x4 6.7L yet, and I've never owned a Ford Super Duty, or a Ford for that matter. My last truck and tow vehicle was a 5.7L Tundra. However, I did quite a bit of research before ordering my truck in early October. Here's some ideas based on that research and many ideas and opinions expressed on this forum. I went for the 350 over the 250. It is clear that there isn't much difference between the two excepting primarily suspension. They have the same engine, same body, and same interior. Obviously, the 350 has a higher GVWR; mine is the 11,500lb version. I don't have to worry about registration costs because I hail from Texas where my annual registration fee is $155. I asked them if a 350 is considered a commercial vehicle; they replied, "It's ONLY A TRUCK." I like that attitude.

I didn't get the FX4 package for three reasons: 1) I specifically did NOT want the Hill Descent Assist because, from all I've been able to figure out, it is simply a computer operating your brakes while going down a steep hill. I can operate my own brakes, thank you. And if I want to go slow down a steep hill, I'll throw it in 4x4 Low 1. In that gear, I won't be touching my brakes too much. 2) I didn't care for the "tuned shocks". I have no personal experience with them, but most of the people who have expressed opinions aren't too happy. Instead of the FX4 package, I included skid plates. I decided that I'd use the approximate $300 that I saved on the omission of the package to put a set of Biltstine 5100 shocks on my rig which I'll do at the first tire change if not sooner. And lastly, I really didn't need the FX4 Decal.

I also didn't opt for much BLING, such as Blind Spot Information or the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package. You should be aware that the BLIS doesn't work while towing a 5th Wheel or a trailer longer than 33', neither of which I do. But at 63 years-old, I can still turn my head and use my mirrors to identify anyone lurking in my so-called blind spot. I pretty much get everything in a 350 that I would have gotten in a HCTTP, ergo I went with the 350. I did not opt for the LED Quad Beam Headlights for something like $1000 or the so-called Moon Roof for something like $1,400; neither of these lights my fire.

I went for the Lariat Ultimate Package because it included the Power Telescoping Steering Column with MEMORY (the Value Package gives you power mirrors and driver's seat with MEMORY) and the tailgate step. The two other things that you get are Rain Sensing Wipers and Automatic High Beam controls which were both added to the Lariat Ultimate Package in 2019.

Another bling-thing I went for was Adaptive Steering for $920 (I got my truck at invoice which is this price). I was not going to get it at first, and I didn't include it in my original build. A few days after setting the order, I realized that it was a Platinum F-250 with Adapative Steering that I had driven right before ordering, and I'd driven it on city streets at slow speeds. It hit me how comfortable and effortless it was to turn at 90 degree corners. I called my dealer, and thankfully I could adjust the order to include AS.

In lieu of the HCTTP, I went for the 350 and the Trailer Tow Camera System. In the 350, I get everything that's in the HCTTP on a 250 relative to the suspension and the rear end: a fourth leaf spring, larger ring gear in the differential, and the upgraded steering gear, stabilizer and front springs. I'm pretty sure that my truck is coming with 5600lb front springs, the middle weight rating. The 250 comes with 5200lb front springs. I read on this forum that one longtime Super Duty owner said a 350 drives much better than an upgraded 250. I can't speak to this from personal experience; I took his word for it.

I opted out of the Chrome Package. I didn't want to pay over $1,000 for a bunch of chrome. I also was going with the Power Running Boards that were $920, so I didn't need the 6" Angular Chrome Step Bars. I went with the Power Boards because they sit 2" lower than fixed boards. This is for my 5'3" wife. After she tried both, the decision was made.

I also went with the engine block heater and wheel well liners front and rear. I added a fifth wheel prep package even though I don't tow a fifth wheel; it was for resale. In retrospect, I probably wasted the $460. I included the upfitter switches for no real good reason. I may actually use five of them, two for backup lights on each of the truck camper shell and the back of my trailer and a fifth for a pump on an auxiliary fuel tank. I went for the long bed to get the 48 gallon tank, but I might add a 50-gallon auxiliary tank in the bed to double my range since we are full time RVers and occasionally do long-haul driving.

I opted out of the all-weather floor mats and the mud flaps. I'm going to put Husky Floor Liners and Husky Muddog Mud Flaps in and on the rig. The Muddogs are less than half of the price of Gatorbacks which are Ford accessories but cost about $470. The floor liners are slightly more expensive than the Ford liners, but I think they're made of better material.

Lastly, I went with 18" Bright Polished Cast Aluminum Wheels and A/T tires which will be Goodyear Kevlars. I was set on 20" tires, but people on this forum persuaded me to go with the 18's. I measured the height of 18" A/Ts and 20" A/Ss and was surprised that they were the same. So I went with the 18s. I since have discovered that a lot of people remove their new 20" Bright Polished Cast Aluminum Wheels with Michelin A/T-2 tires almost immediately upon taking delivery of their trucks, putting on something else. I have found many of these for sale on Craigslist for $1000-$1500 with the TPMS sensors included. So I'm planning on buying a set as backup. This package of wheels and tires retails for around $3,500. I can always use an extra set of wheels and tires. Why not?

There you go. You asked.

Last edited by Hjabernathy; 11-18-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: To copy it to my word processing program
Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
If sticking with the 250, I'd add the camper package.. adds a leaf and swaybar. I myself did a ccsb lariat gasser F350. I honestly can say it's smooth as silk on the highway but you know your in a 350. The 6.2 with the 4.30s is more then enough for me. My current trailer is only about 8k dry. I opted out of the spray in liner as I feel linex is 10xs better and a few bucks cheaper. I skipped the fx4 and ordered skids seperate. I did however get the 5er package just in case we upgrade.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:06 PM
JlaneAK
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy
I don't have my 2019 F-350 Lariat CCLB 4x4 6.7L yet, and I've never owned a Ford Super Duty, or a Ford for that matter. My last truck and tow vehicle was a 5.7L Tundra. However, I did quite a bit of research before ordering my truck in early October. Here's some ideas based on that research and many ideas and opinions expressed on this forum. I went for the 350 over the 250. It is clear that there isn't much difference between the two excepting primarily suspension. They have the same engine, same body, and same interior. Obviously, the 350 has a higher GCWR; mine is the 11,500lb version. I don't have to worry about registration costs because I hail from Texas where my annual registration fee is $155. I asked them if a 350 is considered a commercial vehicle; they replied, "It's ONLY A TRUCK." I like that attitude.

I didn't get the FX4 package for three reasons: 1) I specifically did NOT want the Hill Descent Assist because, from all I've been able to figure out, it is simply a computer operating your brakes while going down a steep hill. I can operate my own brakes, thank you. And if I want to go slow down a steep hill, I'll throw it in 4x4 Low 1. In that gear, I won't be touching my brakes too much. 2) I didn't care for the "tuned shocks". I have no personal experience with them, but most of the people who have expressed opinions aren't too happy. Instead of the FX4 package, I included skid plates. I decided that I'd use the approximate $300 that I saved on the omission of the package to put a set of Biltstine 5100 shocks on my rig which I'll do at the first tire change if not sooner. And lastly, I really didn't need the FX4 Decal.

I also didn't opt for much BLING, such as Blind Spot Information or the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package. You should be aware that the BLIS doesn't work while towing a 5th Wheel or a trailer longer than 33', neither of which I do. But at 63 years-old, I can still turn my head and use my mirrors to identify anyone lurking in my so-called blind spot. I pretty much get everything in a 350 that I would have gotten in a HCTTP, ergo I went with the 350. I did not opt for the LED Quad Beam Headlights for something like $1000 or the so-called Moon Roof for something like $1,400; neither of these lights my fire.

I went for the Lariat Ultimate Package because it included the Power Telescoping Steering Column with MEMORY (the Value Package gives you power mirrors and driver's seat with MEMORY) and the tailgate step. The two other things that you get are Rain Sensing Wipers and Automatic High Beam controls which were both added to the Lariat Ultimate Package in 2019.

Another bling-thing I went for was Adaptive Steering for $920 (I got my truck at invoice which is this price). I was not going to get it at first, and I didn't include it in my original build. A few days after setting the order, I realized that it was a Platinum F-250 with Adapative Steering that I had driven right before ordering, and I'd driven it on city streets at slow speeds. It hit me how comfortable and effortless it was to turn at 90 degree corners. I called my dealer, and thankfully I could adjust the order to include AS.

In lieu of the HCTTP, I went for the 350 and the Trailer Tow Camera System. In the 350, I get everything that's in the HCTTP on a 250 relative to the suspension and the rear end: a fourth leaf spring, larger ring gear in the differential, and the steering gear, stabilizer and front springs. I'm pretty sure that my truck is coming with 5600lb front springs, the middle weight rating. The 250 comes with 5200lb front springs. I read on this forum that one longtime Super Duty owner said a 350 drives much better than an upgraded 250. I can't speak to this from personal experience; I took his word for it.

I opted out of the Chrome Package. I didn't want to pay over $1,000 for a bunch of chrome. I also was going with the Power Running Boards that were $920, so I didn't need the 6" Angular Chrome Step Bars. I went with the Power Boards because they sit 2" lower than fixed boards. This is for my 5'3" wife. After she tried both, the decision was made.

I also went with the engine block heater and wheel well liners front and rear. I added a fifth wheel prep package even though I don't tow a fifth wheel; it was for resale. In retrospect, I probably wasted the $460. I included the upfitter switches for no real good reason. I may actually use five of them, two for backup lights on each of the truck camper shell and the back of my trailer and a fifth for a pump on an auxiliary fuel tank. I went for the long bed to get the 48 gallon tank, but I might add a 50-gallon auxiliary tank in the bed to double my range since we are full time RVers and occasionally do long-haul driving.

I opted out of the all-weather floor mats and the mud flaps. I'm going to put Husky Floor Liners and Husky Muddog Mud Flaps in and on the rig. The Muddogs are less than half of the price of Gatorbacks which are Ford accessories but cost about $470. The floor liners are slightly more expensive than the Ford liners, but I think they're made of better material.

Lastly, I went with 18" Bright Polished Cast Aluminum Wheels and A/T tires which will be Goodyear Kevlars. I was set on 20" tires, but people on this forum persuaded me to go with the 18's. I measured the height of 18" A/Ts and 20" A/Ss and was surprised that they were the same. So I went with the 18s. I since have discovered that a lot of people remove their new 20" Bright Polished Cast Aluminum Wheels with Michelin A/T-2 tires almost immediately upon taking delivery of their trucks, putting on something else. I have found many of these for sale on Craigslist for $1000-$1500 with the TPMS sensors included. So I'm planning on buying a set as backup. This package of wheels and tires retails for around $3,500. I can always use an extra set of wheels and tires. Why not?

There you go. You asked.
Really appreciate this post. Thank you.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM
JlaneAK
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mkos1980
If sticking with the 250, I'd add the camper package.. adds a leaf and swaybar. I myself did a ccsb lariat gasser F350. I honestly can say it's smooth as silk on the highway but you know your in a 350. The 6.2 with the 4.30s is more then enough for me. My current trailer is only about 8k dry. I opted out of the spray in liner as I feel linex is 10xs better and a few bucks cheaper. I skipped the fx4 and ordered skids seperate. I did however get the 5er package just in case we upgrade.
I do not believe we have a LineX dealer in Alaska. I would prefer it though. As for the dieseleto gas debate. I just want a diesel, maybe its my inner child. Im sure my wife would like to save the 9k though. Would it matter towing less than 10k though?

Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
I do not believe we have a LineX dealer in Alaska. I would prefer it though. As for the dieseleto gas debate. I just want a diesel, maybe its my inner child. Im sure my wife would like to save the 9k though. Would it matter towing less than 10k though?
We have towed with a gas 5.7L Tundra for the last three years. We got around 14-15mpg unhooked and 8-9 towing a 9,500lb trailer. I believe that the Gas Ford Super Duty trucks get about this same MPG. From everything I've read on this forum, you can expect to get out of the 6.7L diesel 11-12mpg towing and 17-20 unhooked. That's roughly 33% better (9 vs 12 and 15 vs 20). I see that diesel is only about 4% more expensive than regular gas in Alaska. Consider yourself FORTUNATE! Down here in the Lower 48, diesel ranges from about 10% (rare) to as much as 30% more than regular gas; 25% is common, especially on the major transportation routes across the country.

We decided to go with the diesel for the pulling power, the TORQUE, in a 2019 Super Duty. We expect the fuel costs to be roughly a wash between the gasser and diesel. To explain, we expect to get 30% better MPG while paying about 25% more for diesel or regular gas. However, we get a HUGE increase in pulling power and load capacity with our F-350 over our Tundra.

GO DIESEL.

Last edited by Hjabernathy; 11-18-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Addition of Data