1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hey I'm new and need your help! Coyote F1 52 truck build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Rajsb89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I'm new and need your help! Coyote F1 52 truck build

Hi,

I'm new to this forum from the UK, i thought this place would be best for information and help over the next 8 months on my Ford F1 52 truck build. My truck has just arrived and i can't wait to get started on it. I'm no restorer so i'll be out sourcing most the work to a local custom shop who have built some amazing customs cars . I have a good relationship with them and pretty confident they will do an amazing job.

My Truck will be going into the shop starting January, so far iv had the following parts quoted and will be purchased soon.

TCI mustang 2 front end with air bags, power R&P, Drop spindels, 12' will woods with 4 pistons
TCI rear 4 link with roll bar and ridetech shock waves, il be purchasing the air management here in the UK.

as for the engine I'm going for a coyote & transmission package combo summit racing offer, haven't decided yet if auto will be a better option than a manual. the engine will be kept stock, no plans to moddify. i prefer manual but as a 6ft2 guy will i struggle to enjoy the manual in such a tight cab?

The rear end will be a currie crate package, what gear ratio will be best suited for me? the pick up will be a street car, no drag racing etc.

Also where can i find engine & trans mounts for the swap?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Raj

Old 11-16-2018, 11:01 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This looks like a great project you have planned. I like it a lot. My take on the manual/auto trans decision is unless you really have a need to shift your own gears, the auto trans is the only way to go. It makes setup in the chassis much easier as you don't need to deal with the additional kit of clutch linkage. And as you noted, being a taller fellow with limited leg room will get old quick. Since you're building a cruiser, lean back and get comfortable, let the truck do the heavy lifting.

With an overdrive trans, a 3.50-3.70:1 ratio would probably be a reasonable choice. You'll want to look at tire size, intended driving and crusing rpm range of your engine before making a final decision.

On the motor mounts, I would think your shop should have no trouble custom fabbing some mounts to utilize the factory insulators while they're setting up the TCI bits.

My 2c. Cheers!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM
highdesert55
Senior User
I put a the TCI front and rear in my truck and I bought the coyote engine mounts also from TCI, worked great. I can't remember where i got my transmission mount but i had to modify it quite a bit to make it work.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Rajsb89
New User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Welcome to the forum! This looks like a great project you have planned. I like it a lot. My take on the manual/auto trans decision is unless you really have a need to shift your own gears, the auto trans is the only way to go. It makes setup in the chassis much easier as you don't need to deal with the additional kit of clutch linkage. And as you noted, being a taller fellow with limited leg room will get old quick. Since you're building a cruiser, lean back and get comfortable, let the truck do the heavy lifting.

With an overdrive trans, a 3.50-3.70:1 ratio would probably be a reasonable choice. You'll want to look at tire size, intended driving and crusing rpm range of your engine before making a final decision.

On the motor mounts, I would think your shop should have no trouble custom fabbing some mounts to utilize the factory insulators while they're setting up the TCI bits.

My 2c. Cheers!

Thanks, I have to agree, as much as id like manual I think auto is just going to be more enjoyable with the positioning and my hight. As for wheel choice id like to stick with either 15'/16" Billet style wheels with a good amount of tyre to give it a pro street sort of look and stance. Not a fan of huge wheels. What sort of width can the rear stock fenders take?

Originally Posted by highdesert55
I put a the TCI front and rear in my truck and I bought the coyote engine mounts also from TCI, worked great. I can't remember where i got my transmission mount but i had to modify it quite a bit to make it work.
Did you opt for spring or coilovers? Again didn't want to go with air but speed bumps are common here in the UK, much prefer a static set up.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Raj,
Welcome Aboard! Tell us a little bit about your truck... where did you find it?
Your drivetrain package is pretty high end for just cruising.... I just spent $1100 fixing my wife's
air shock system in her BMW X5..ugghh.. Life would have been much simpler with a springs/shock set up.

I'm not sure how many folks on here are actually running a Coyote engine. I've seen some try but they seem to
get bogged down with frame adjustments. You may want to ask for people's experience with the Coyote.
It's a good engine .. does it fit without a lot of work into our smaller older trucks?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Rajsb89
New User
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Raj,
Welcome Aboard! Tell us a little bit about your truck... where did you find it?
Your drivetrain package is pretty high end for just cruising.... I just spent $1100 fixing my wife's
air shock system in her BMW X5..ugghh.. Life would have been much simpler with a springs/shock set up.

I'm not sure how many folks on here are actually running a Coyote engine. I've seen some try but they seem to
get bogged down with frame adjustments. You may want to ask for people's experience with the Coyote.
It's a good engine .. does it fit without a lot of work into our smaller older trucks?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Hi Ben

I found the truck on eBay just over 100miles from where I live, the couple I purchased it from had imported it over with a model A body in the rear bed. It come over from Tennessee and still has the original V8 flathead.

I got my inspiration for doing the coyote swap after seeing Warren Herreid build on the Hot Rod network. Plus iv just had my 67 mustang restored and having a 331stroker installed in the new year with a T5z trans. I didn't want to have another small block Ford.

Anyone one here done the swap?

Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Andy F
New User
I’m also interested in the content of this post. I have a 48 F1 on its way over from the US to the UK and also intend to go down the coyote route.

im interested in headers as all conversions I’ve seen,
seem to suggest modifications to the frame or the headers have been required.

There are several “shorty” aftermarket versions, any views
on the best way to go?

thanks

Old 11-21-2018, 02:20 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Andy,
Welcome Aboard! I think Rav is going to start a new thread
specifically to discuss the pros/cons of the Coyote Swap for our trucks.
I'm trying to guess from the license plate where your truck is from in the U.S....
Hmmmm…. it looks pretty dry there - Arizona?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-21-2018, 02:55 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
I'm trying to guess from the license plate where your truck is from in the U.S....
Hmmmm…. it looks pretty dry there - Arizona?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
It's too hard to read to be 100% positive, but the plate appears to be Oregon. Depending on which side of the state it's from, it could be relatively solid if from the dry side, or rotted into oblivion if it's from closer to the coast. Similar to Washington state, there are areas that get less rain and moisture than parts of the southwest states that most folks consider dry and desert.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Andy F
New User
Hi guys

Yes it’s an Oregon truck. Apparently from the East. The dealer claimed it was a solid truck from a desert area. From what I could see from pictures they sent over it’s in ok shape. Short term plan will be to leave the patina and get the motor and suspension sorted. Shipping panels to the UK would be pricey so I’ll save that for the long term.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:46 AM
Rajsb89
New User
Originally Posted by Andy F
Hi guys

Yes it’s an Oregon truck. Apparently from the East. The dealer claimed it was a solid truck from a desert area. From what I could see from pictures they sent over it’s in ok shape. Short term plan will be to leave the patina and get the motor and suspension sorted. Shipping panels to the UK would be pricey so I’ll save that for the long term.

Hi Andy

Where about in the UK you from?

Il start a new thread to fins out whats involved, as for panels & shipping parts you can use Ron at STS imports. He packs a container every month to bring parts back over to the UK, fair shipping prices which leave the duties and tax to pay when it arrives.

Raj

Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Andy F
New User
Hi Raj

Leighton Buzzard, Beds.

Ive had a look at STS. Will be looking to use them once I work out what I need. I have an 8.8 mustang axle coming over with the truck as they easy to get hold of in the US.

Black Friday deals are appealing though looking at Mustang 2 front set up bit should probably wait until I’ve looked over the truck.

Andy

Old 11-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Rajsb89
New User
Hi Andy

Where you looking for the Black Friday deals? I may purchase and save some monies!

Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Andy F
New User
Was looking at Helix for mustang 2 front end. When you goto purchase, it transfers you to Johnny Law Motors (30% off retail)

Old 11-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Rajsb89
New User
I'v read so many mixed reviews on Helix, you know anyone thats used the Mustang 2?

Quick Reply: Hey I'm new and need your help! Coyote F1 52 truck build