Sponsored by: Moser

Belly pans / heat shields

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Belly pans / heat shields

I have had a 2013 Lariat with V6 turbos for 3 weeks. Drained and refilled the radiator today. While under the truck I removed a heat shield under the motor and a second unit under the transmission to prepare for transmission fluid change sometime. Took a while to find the engine oil filter above the steering case. Questions.

Do you change the filter from the bottom or the top ?
Is the heat shields an option or needed on the V6 turbo ( cooling / air flow ?) ?
Who has removed the shields for good, and who uses them ?
Look like you got to work around them to change the engine oil and filter ?

Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The fabric underliner that mounts aft of the engine can be moved out of the way a bit to access the drain plug. The metal cover under the engine can definitely be removed but it's a PITA. No real reason to take it down. There's two rubber plugs approx. 3x5 in size. This is where the oil filter drains from. To access the oil filter, there's a removable piece of the air dam that's attached with plastic wing nuts. Undo that and pull it back, look up and you'll see the oil filter and discover how easy it is to access. You'll never reach it from the top of the engine, those days are sadly long gone.

I wouldn't leave either cover off for a long period. They do provide for better airflow under the truck. The front metal cover in particular protects the engine from the road elements.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
YEa, that's what I found TIm... I had both guards off for a week , first to look at the motor oil drain plug , filter, and front axle area... I had the back guard off to change transmission oil last weekend. During the few days I drove without the guards, I noted a drop in gas milage about .5 - 1 gallon....... not a real scientific test over 4 days, but noticeable....... I read elsewhere on the internet that the guards were for sound deadening and to direct air flow across the turbos and trans case..

I reinstalled both guards sunday and milage went back up ( in my opinion).. Should not have to remove the front guard as I now see how to get to the motor oil filter and drain plug... I put a drain plug in the transmission pan and will drain and install another 6 quarts after a few thousand miles....

thanks, I agree with everything you said.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:43 AM
shipwrecked
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a oil change done from a ford dealer a few years ago and was driving down the NJ Parkway about 15 miles when I hear a nasty scrape sound. WHAT THE !!!!????? pull over and find that the tech failed to secure the shield after the oil change properly. Had to remove the shield and I never put it back on. Probably been off the truck for 3 years by now...

Changing the oil filter- I did it from above.
To be honest, I have been a USCG mechanic for 20 years. I pay the dealer to change the oil for me cause I don't enjoy having to kneel on the bumper, reach into the engine bay in a strange contortion and getting bruised. and doing the clean up... not a fan. I have done it a few times, I still want to put a fumoto valve on the pan. Pulling that plug just made a mess if you are lying under the truck. I've done it from a lift too- its cleaner, but now the oil gets to drip 6 foot down and hope you put the drain catch in the right spot.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:17 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Looks like the filter has better access from the bottom..... In front of the motor belly pan, there is a rubber flap that clips to the pan.. You pull it down and reach up OVER the steering gear and get the filter... I stuck my hand up and feel the area, I have not had to remove yet.