Need advice on best floor jack for 7.3 with Off Road Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Need advice on best floor jack for 7.3 with Off Road Package

Hey guys,

Im officially sick and tired of messing with my bottle jack every time I need to lift the truck up onto jack stands. I have some small cheapy floor jacks but they dont reach high enough to touch the axles so I use the bottle jack with pieces of wood underneath but its time consuming and then I have to lower it in stages with the jack stands and bottle jack.

Ramps arent tall enough.

I see two options but maybe you all know something I dont.

High Lift "Farm Jack" that hooks to rims. I have a gravel driveway not concrete so this is nicer than trying to roll something with tiny metal wheels.

High Lift jack

Harbor Freight's 4 ton jack which goes to 21 inches. Daytona 4 ton

Along with some jack extenders...assuming they work with the Daytona.

Or maybe this cross beam from Harbr Freight:Cross beam (its only good for 3 tons.Will that break under the front axle?)

Thoughts?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Like you, I use an assortment of things to get my truck into the air in the appropriate pose.

I have been at the purchase screen for the extenders, but stopped short because I found it hard to pay the prices I found for a piece of solid steel that does nothing other than exist between the jack and the truck.

In addition, I am not sure if your truck is a 4x4 or not, but I don't think a 21" lift from the Daytona will get a wheel off the ground if jacking under the frame. If under the axle, you will have to fight with the differential and spring perch on the drivers side to fit the jack and stand in there.

Subscribed to see what you come up with for a solution because Santa Claus is coming soon and I might put your solution on my list!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Angry

Originally Posted by Sous
Like you, I use an assortment of things to get my truck into the air in the appropriate pose.

I have been at the purchase screen for the extenders, but stopped short because I found it hard to pay the prices I found for a piece of solid steel that does nothing other than exist between the jack and the truck.

In addition, I am not sure if your truck is a 4x4 or not, but I don't think a 21" lift from the Daytona will get a wheel off the ground if jacking under the frame. If under the axle, you will have to fight with the differential and spring perch on the drivers side to fit the jack and stand in there.

Subscribed to see what you come up with for a solution because Santa Claus is coming soon and I might put your solution on my list!
Yes its 4x4 off road package which means its even higher.

Daytona with wood boards underneath?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Look at the Harbor Freight 4 ton floor jack, lifts effortlessly, lift high enough too. Reasonably priced as well. Mine wills lift the entire front of the truck without problem.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM
Joshua Dishong
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Harbor freight / Pittsburgh 3 ton rapid pump...think its 18 3/4" height. I haven't tried to lift the entire front end with it, but its more than enough to get any of the 4 corners off the ground to get the stands under and pull a wheel...

but i'm a stock height stock tire 2wd so ymmv

fwiw I had a high lift from back in my Jeep days, one of the best all around tools I've ever owned, even with +7" lift over stock and 35's on sand it would get the wheel off the ground even on sand...could even help get you unstuck in a pinch as a make shift winch...not sure I'd want to use it as a regular/everyday method of lifting though

Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
I use a Daytona style jack with a 6x6 as needed to lift my truck. I'm on a gravel driveway too and I use a 2'x3'x3/4" piece of plywood to put the jack on.

Where I'm from they call those farm jacks widow makers.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by roostercrows
I use a Daytona style jack with a 6x6 as needed to lift my truck. I'm on a gravel driveway too and I use a 2'x3'x3/4" piece of plywood to put the jack on.

Where I'm from they call those farm jacks widow makers.
Does your 4x4 have the off road package? You put the 6x6 between the jack and the axle?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Yep, 4x4 with a 4" lift. The 6x6 goes to the frame when needed, mostly I lift at the axle with no blocking.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
How do you get a jack stand under the front axle near the differential when the jack perch is taking all of the available space?

I have a floor jack that will not lift via the frame enough to get the tires off the ground unless I use something under the jack or on the jack perch. It is a large floor jack as well.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
How do you get a jack stand under the front axle near the differential when the jack perch is taking all of the available space?

I have a floor jack that will not lift via the frame enough to get the tires off the ground unless I use something under the jack or on the jack perch. It is a large floor jack as well.
I can't, for the life of me, remember how I do that but I do, it could entail the use of two jacks or I might jack it, pull the wheel and place the jack stand out near the end.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
I'm not sure either how I do it, its been a while. I know its tight and there may be a certain angle of approach but I do it. Hopefully it will be a while since there is snow here now but next time I jack it up I will take some pictures.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
My Harbor Freight 3 and 4 ton floor jacks both have no problem lifting my truck when I put them under the axle. I have never needed to jack it up by the frame.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
The Harbor Freight Dayton jack has held up well to daily use for about 8 years in my shop. I bought it as a temporary replacement when my snap-on jack was being rebuilt. I’d buy another.

fwiw, My my truck has 40” tires and a 10” lift, I jack it up by the axle and then put jack stands under the axle or the frame depending on what I am working on.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts

i jack mine up at the diff. Check to make sure your diff cover doesn’t hang below the casting or you will break the seal and develop a leak.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
On the passenger side of the front axle there is plenty of room for a jack stand, on the drivers I wedge it in between the spring perch and the knuckle, or maybe it's between the diff and the spring perch I would have to look.

Quick Reply: Need advice on best floor jack for 7.3 with Off Road Package