2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air Horn

I installed air bags recently and want to eventually add a horn. Not looking for the destroy your eardrums train horn, but more of a solid big rig sound that is well enough to get the point across. I've not had air horns before so could use some advice

My WirelessAir pump will suffice? What size tank should I get? Any advice on non-train horns? I know I'll need fittings, line, and likely a gauge

I've seen a couple posts of folks going with Kleinn train horn kits, but I'm only expecting a few hundred for these add-ons. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Chevmn56
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Horn Blasters they have a bunch of good stuff. They know their stuff, tank size and compressor size is really dependent on what horns you get. They will be glad to help you. They helped me!!!!!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 PM
telly9987
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a Horn Blasters 244 kit and it for sure gets the point across and then i have the onboard compressor with a air out on it to power my bags.....

Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Thanks, I'll check out Horn Blasters tomorrow

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ymsmiley
I installed air bags recently and want to eventually add a horn. Not looking for the destroy your eardrums train horn, but more of a solid big rig sound that is well enough to get the point across. I've not had air horns before so could use some advice

My WirelessAir pump will suffice? What size tank should I get? Any advice on non-train horns? I know I'll need fittings, line, and likely a gauge

I've seen a couple posts of folks going with Kleinn train horn kits, but I'm only expecting a few hundred for these add-ons. Thanks!
Well be careful good way to get a ticket and if there is an accident involved because of the use of it you are up a creek,,,,

Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM
~erik~
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Well be careful good way to get a ticket and if there is an accident involved because of the use of it you are up a creek,,,,
I don't want a train horn or cause an accident. Causing some incontinence would be fine the next time someone cuts in front of me while I'm towing our Airstream.

So I'm like the OP - want a louder horn, but not a train horn.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 AM
BossHog2018
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Wolo 619 horn. It does not require air and definitely not a train horn but it supposed to be around 125 decibels. It is much louder and beefier than the stock horn and since I wasn't looking to get a ticket or cause an accident this fit my needs.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM
bldfrdblu
Senior User
Supposedly Harbor Freight sells something called Big Bertha or something like that that is electric and over 100db. Sorry I don't have more info on it. It was mentioned at work. But I certainly concur with the need here in DFW!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:12 PM
~erik~
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BossHog2018
I have the Wolo 619 horn. It does not require air and definitely not a train horn but it supposed to be around 125 decibels. It is much louder and beefier than the stock horn and since I wasn't looking to get a ticket or cause an accident this fit my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-619-Big-.../dp/B008J151H4
I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. Any snags to mounting it behind the grill?

thanks!

Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bldfrdblu
Supposedly Harbor Freight sells something called Big Bertha or something like that that is electric and over 100db. Sorry I don't have more info on it. It was mentioned at work. But I certainly concur with the need here in DFW!
See you are in Texas.. Here are just some of the regulations for Texas. Additionally, if a air horn like a train horn is discovered during a Texas Vehicle Inspection it will fail. There are also Federal Specs FMVSS standard 121 it must meet as well. Many states have similar requirements.

Sec. § 547.501
Audible Warning Devices
(a)

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 200 feet.(b)

A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:(1)

a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an ordinary warning signal; or(2)

an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.(c)

A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.(d)

A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:30 PM
bldfrdblu
Senior User
"D" is the only excuse I need!!!!!

Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
I didn't think Arizona had a law so looked it up. It does say "...not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle" but I'm not too worried about it. I only plan to use it during those special moments

A. A motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with a horn that is in good working order and that is capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of at least two hundred feet. Any horn or other warning device shall not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

B. If reasonably necessary to ensure the safe operation of a motor vehicle, the driver shall give an audible warning with the driver's horn but shall not otherwise use the horn when on a highway.

C. A vehicle shall not be equipped with and a person shall not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

D. A vehicle may but is not required to be equipped with a theft alarm signal device that is arranged so that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.

E. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle or bell that is capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of at least five hundred feet and that is of a type approved by the department. The siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when necessary to serve a civil traffic complaint. During these events the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach of the emergency vehicle.

F. A siren shall be allowed on a fire engine that is solely used for hobby or display purposes and that has been issued a historic vehicle license plate pursuant to section 28-2484 if either of the following applies:

1. The siren is covered and is not activated while a person is transporting or driving the vehicle to or from a parade, authorized assemblage of historic vehicles or test.

2. The siren is activated only in a parade, for an authorized assemblage of historic vehicles or for testing purposes.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:28 PM
FordCommander
Freshman User
Check out Kleinn air horns too OP. They are LOUD!

Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Yep HornBlasters does make some nice sounding big rig horns, Kleinn too. For some reason thought they only offered train horns

Old 11-14-2018, 06:51 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
See you are in Texas.. Here are just some of the regulations for Texas. Additionally, if a air horn like a train horn is discovered during a Texas Vehicle Inspection it will fail. There are also Federal Specs FMVSS standard 121 it must meet as well. Many states have similar requirements.
please share with me the Texas inspection CODE that defines "train horn" or "air horn" discovery = failure....
cause I can tell you they've NEVER failed my motor coach....and it has TRIPLE bells on it.

In the -Texas DPS inspection Procedure / Rules - there is absolutely no mention or reference related to TRAIN HORN or failure if a TRAIN HORN is connected.
The language is much to subjective & vague for enforcement.

Originally Posted by ymsmiley
I didn't think Arizona had a law so looked it up. It does say "...not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle" but I'm not too worried about it. I only plan to use it during those special moments
WAY too subjective terminology: "unreasonably loud" "harsh".....according to who? measured by what?

Quick Reply: Air Horn