Sponsored by:

4WD questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 PM
zipdrive
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4WD questions

Can I run the 4WD system on roads that are dry and have intermittent ice patches and not hurt the system?
What happens to the 4WD system if you run it on dry roads for long periods of time?
What is the max speed you can engage and dis-engage the 4WD system?
Will it really dis-engage under WOT? I've seen people try for 0 to 60 times with the truck launched in 4WD and then switch it to 2WD as some point in the run.
Last weekend it was in the teens for temp where we live, and the 4WD did not want to engage, what should I look for as a part that is wearing out?

Thank you!

Old 11-13-2018, 05:24 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Not really wise to do that.

Basically, I only use 4wd when the roads are pretty much completely covered with snow so that the system won’t bind.

If i’m on a road with intermittent icy patches, usually there’s enough dry spots in between the ice to keep momentum (so that I’m not accelerating on the ice).

To shift into 4wd, i let off the accelerator. I’m usually not going very fast. Same to disengage. If you’re able to drive fast, then the roads are presumably dry enough to not need 4wd

Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 PM
zipdrive
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So typically, I run the system like you described in paragraphs 2 through 4. That was my sanity check. But, my first question is the real situation. We end up with black ice and I have had the truck and everyone in it, subjected to exciting movements when going up or down the some of hills here (most stuff near me is not really flat). A couple of the roads here are 1 lane each dir, a crown that changes every 50 ft, and steep drop offs from the road.

So, I'm really after a guide, for example: you run it for 2 miles straight, no problem. Or, if you run it on any curves, you'll break the tie rods, or what ever. Suggestions?

Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to keep in mind that once you are on ice, physics don't care if you are in 4 wheel drive or not. A lot of people think that having a 4x4 makes them safer on ice, and that false confidence is how so many rigs end up with their dirty side up. Vastly reducing your speed in icy conditions goes much further than having a 4x4.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:23 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Like psyclopse says, ice doesn’t care if you’re in 4wd or 2wd. If i’m going over a bridge that might be icey, i try nit to accelerate or even turn much on it.

To answer your question though, it shouldn’t hurt your 4wd if you’re basically going straight and not too fast. Obviously if it’s icey, you’re not going to be going fast anyway.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 AM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If you think you're going to encounter patches of road where you feel better being in 4x4, manually lock the hubs. Then just use the dash switch to engage/disengage the transfer case. Just make sure you aren't spinning when you engage it. Don't forget to unlock the hubs afterward. I agree with the above posts...it's useless on ice.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:57 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Here is what I've done with my current Ex for the last 8 years and many years before that with all my other 4x4 vehicles. I also run dedicated snow tires (studded on my Ex) and tires are the biggest aid you can have on ice.

I lock my hubs in the fall and unlock in the spring
I run in 4x4 high any time it could be slick, we get a lot of black ice..ect if a parking lot looks semi dry i'll pop it into 2wd
I run 4x4 on the highway, been well past 100MPH with no issues, I've switched into 4 high at 70 mph just left off the gas for a second more times then I can count.
I've seen more people run down an icy highway, in 2wd and change lanes or hit the gas and loose it. Keep it in 4x4 you won't have the rear end try and pass you!

If you're making more than light turns flip it to 2wd, but I have not had any issue in the last 45K on my current Ex.

I drive on basically hot mopped ice rinks all year, you bet you have more control turning and stopping in 4x4! Multiple youtube videos explaining the aided braking as you not have an exact 50/50 braking split thanks to the axles being locked together!

This time of year we have very icy side streets and main roads are not bad, with a open rear end I'm not going to chance getting half in the road because I'm just spinning my rear tire, so I leave it in 4 high and work my turn to try and not bind it much and flip to 2wd when it's safe.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Manual says not to try to engage/disengage over 55mph. I would also suggest not driving over 55 mph AT ALL while engaged. Some folks have had their X-fer cases explode while driving at highway speeds with 4x4 engaged. Russ seems to have had good fortunes doing his thing so far, but I wouldn't operate mine like that (if I lived where it snowed).

Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

All the transfer case explosions I've heard of have all been in 2wd on the highway, unless there's another I haven't seen. There have been a rash of SD/Ex t-case explosions but no finger pointing to any particular contributing factor.

Also the 02 manual does not state any max speed in 4 high.

Originally Posted by Nicmike
Manual says not to try to engage/disengage over 55mph. I would also suggest not driving over 55 mph AT ALL while engaged. Some folks have had their X-fer cases explode while driving at highway speeds with 4x4 engaged. Russ seems to have had good fortunes doing his thing so far, but I wouldn't operate mine like that (if I lived where it snowed).

Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
If you’re going 100 mph, why would you need to put it in 4wd?

Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by seville009
If you’re going 100 mph, why would you need to put it in 4wd?

Its glare ice, that's why. Also not put it in, it was already in. Many a road trip in the winter and you need to make a pass (or two) and idk about you but I make my passing as quickly as possible to get back in the proper lane of travel.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:48 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
I’d be scared to get above 85.....my truck or tires would probably blow up.....

Old 11-14-2018, 05:06 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Excursions actually handle well at speed, in any condition.

every few years when this gets asked I find some old videos.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What happened to the speedo at the end? It went to 0 and the tach snapped to 3k...

I've driven roads like the one in the first video in a 700hp Supra. Never needed 4wd for that kind of situation.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by PrescottIce
What happened to the speedo at the end? It went to 0 and the tach snapped to 3k...

I've driven roads like the one in the first video in a 700hp Supra. Never needed 4wd for that kind of situation.
with a tuner once it goes past 100mph the speedo and odometer freak out.

its glare ice under in the first video with wet snow coming down. We don't salt so it's not like lower 48 highways. Sure you may be able to maintain with a very light foot, but first hill when you speed up guarentee the rear end would step out very quickly.

Quick Reply: 4WD questions