Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess the Leak... I've got three

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:35 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Guess the Leak... I've got three

Hey all!
So I changed the water pump, and the next day had both a coolant leak that looks like it's coming from the radiator, and a power steering leak. Not a leak, more of a dump. Ordered a new lump and high pressure hose. This morning had the original two leaks plus a third that I can't figure out for the life of me. It's some sort of runoff, because it's dripping directly from the right front corner behind the front tire. Looks like it's a pooling behind the wheel well wall thingy. I'm pretty technical as you can see. It's clear, looks like clean oil. I have no idea. What would leak and run that direction? When I'm parked pretty flat the radiator leak is on the driver's side, and when I'm on a slant (against a curb for example) it runs to the passenger side. So this leak running behind the wheel well might be running that direction from somewhere else but I don't see anything obvious. Transmission fluid is full, plus it's red and this new mess is clear.
Any ideas? I just hit 200k and am always ready for the next thing to fix but I didn't expect all hell to literally break loose in there. Would the radiator leak and power steering leak just be crazy timing or is there something I possibly did when changing the water pump?
Fooey!
Hope everyone is good and safe out there. I'm in CA where we're on fire. Luckily not too close to any to be in danger.

Thank you!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 PM
roboto65
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most probably a "Fooey" the clear liquid could probably be a third liquid LOL say brake fluid, you really hit the jackpot if so. I would tackle one at a time check the obvious first, clamps and fittings the drain at the bottom of the radiator.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by roboto65
Most probably a "Fooey" the clear liquid could probably be a third liquid LOL say brake fluid, you really hit the jackpot if so. I would tackle one at a time check the obvious first, clamps and fittings the drain at the bottom of the radiator.
Oh, that's fun!
While I'm at it, any suggestions for a radiator? I tightened a couple clamps that seemed loose but I'm not sure that was it. Good lord!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 PM
roboto65
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator is a tough one but I would get it running hot then look for leaks as the heat should vaporize most the seepage and maybe show the leak. They sell leak detection kits with a black light. I would maybe also dry it off and then run a paper towel around to see if you can pin point it.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:10 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Been running your A/C?

Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
I'll take a better look at the radiator. I got under there after driving for a while and the only wet spot was some pooling around one of the holes on the driver's side. What is that, a drain hole? I don't mean holes like damage I mean the big silver dollar size hole.
And no, no air conditioning. Never have used it.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Rufusbob
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooling system leaks

IMHO a tester to pressurize the cooling system is well worth the cost. It allows checking for cooling system leaks on a stone cold engine. (That's the only way I could find a minor, but steady, water pump seal leak many years ago. The coolant evaporated on a hot engine as fast as it leaked.) A tester also easily allows checking for the leak site on the radiator, hoses, water pump, etc., rather than trying to find the leak by just looking at where the puddle is. Again IMHO the puddle location can be deceiving since coolant dripping onto any surface below the leak can run horizontally before falling to the ground (not under the actual leak site). I don't know for sure, but your FLAPS may loan out a cooling system tester.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 PM
BS51993
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by offwhitefueler
I'll take a better look at the radiator. I got under there after driving for a while and the only wet spot was some pooling around one of the holes on the driver's side. What is that, a drain hole? I don't mean holes like damage I mean the big silver dollar size hole.
And no, no air conditioning. Never have used it.
If the hole is on the bottom driver side, it is the drain plug. If there's coolant leaking from that, the first step would be to replace that plug as its plastic and more than likely worn after nearly 30 years of being on there (Assuming it's the original plug).

Old 11-12-2018, 11:23 PM
TooManyMIce
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I know some vehicles run the aircon when the defroster is on whether you tell them to or not (using the evap core as a dehumidifier). I don't know if these rigs do that or not.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyMIce
I know some vehicles run the aircon when the defroster is on whether you tell them to or not (using the evap core as a dehumidifier). I don't know if these rigs do that or not.
They do...

Old 11-13-2018, 03:05 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
I haven't run my defrost, either. I didn't check the drain plug but I'll do that. The radiator is maybe a year old!

Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
If it was the radiator you would see the coolant. The PS fluid is clear and oily and if it took a dump that might be it also. It is very light in viscosity so If you drove it when it was leaking I am thinking it is just blow back from the dump. You can feel the fluid and see if it feels the same or smell it. Sandy

Old 11-13-2018, 07:39 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by sandymane
If it was the radiator you would see the coolant. The PS fluid is clear and oily and if it took a dump that might be it also. It is very light in viscosity so If you drove it when it was leaking I am thinking it is just blow back from the dump. You ca8n feel the fluid and see if it feels the same or smell it. Sandy
Hey! Maybe I wasn't clear. There are three leaks, and the coolant one is below the radiator- just can't figure out where. Nothing is wet except the ground below it.

The other is definitely the power steering pump which is dark and oily because it's atf.

The third is the passenger side behind the tire doohickey and that's pretty viscous and clear.

The radiator is less than two years old, the water pump was just replaced last week, I have a new power steering pump in the box ready to go in, and the other thing is on hold until I know what the heck it is...

Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
It sounds like the area where the connection of the brake hard line where it meets the rubber line. Or you could have a pin hole in the hard line in that area and I think that the brake fluid in that area is all it could be. All of this depends on the condition of the thingy and the doohickey and proper connections of each. You got this. Sandy

Old 11-14-2018, 03:15 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Whew! As long as it isn't the thingamajigger or the whirlydoo!
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Guess the Leak... I've got three