1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1967 F100 240 6-cylinder Hard to Restart after Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Chris Roy
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1967 F100 240 6-cylinder Hard to Restart after Driving

I am having an issue with my 1967 Ford F100 240 6 cylinder that is getting worse. After driving it for a while and shutting it off, when it stalls out, it is REALLY hard to start. Once it sits for a period of time, it starts with no problem. Many posts say that it is due to the gas getting too hot. However, I was driving it the other day in 50 degree weather and I had the same issue after only driving for 10 minutes.

When trying to restart, the engine turns over fine. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the truck starts pretty good after sitting for a while.

Any ideas?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Chris, is the ignition system the stock points and condenser? I'd suggest checking the spark quality under both a cold start condition when there doesn't seem to be a problem, and then also when experiencing trouble.

Pull the coil wire from the distributor and hold the terminal near the cylinder head about 3/8" away and see if the ignition coil is producing a good spark.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM
fluff
Mountain Pass
same with mine. it will start but turns over more when hot. new points, condenser, plugs and wires

Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Chris, is the ignition system the stock points and condenser? I'd suggest checking the spark quality under both a cold start condition when there doesn't seem to be a problem, and then also when experiencing trouble.

Pull the coil wire from the distributor and hold the terminal near the cylinder head about 3/8" away and see if the ignition coil is producing a good spark.
That is where I would start as it could be a condenser failing when hot if still using points.
If nothing else you will rule out a no spark issue and need to look at a fuel issue at that point.

Fluff do the same because even new condensers could be crap.
When points & condensers were common it was said if the points looking good come time to replace them, no big deep craters, just change out the points and keep the condenser as it was working the best any of them could.

Both of you guys:
Now only do 1 fix at a time so you know what helped or did not or made it worst.
After checking for spark and if no spark fixing why or if spark check for fuel in the carb.
Remove the filter look down inside carb and move the throttle you should see fuel squirt.

I would also say replace ALL rubber fuel line from tank to carb. Most of the time there is a short piece from tank to hard line> hard line to fuel pump and maybe some where from pump to carb.
Don't say "it all looks good" as you can not tell it is bad "inside" where the gas is. I have also seen where they had cracks and would suck air but not leak fuel out.
Todays fuel eats the old rubber inside out.

Also check if the exh valve that closes to heat the intake manifold works. Sometimes they rust closed so they heat up the intake all the time and boil the fuel in the carb.
Should give you guys some things to check and report back what you find.
Dave ----

edit: also try removing the fuel tank cap. The vent in it could have rusted shut and the fuel pump cant pull fuel on a vacuum in the tank.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:57 PM
fluff
Mountain Pass
thank you
will get on it

Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 128 Posts
No hot start

One other thing to check is the “by-pass” circuit. Check the voltage at the + or Bat side of the coil while the engine is in cranking mode. There should be 12 volts present during cranking.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 AM
rwilly1
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem with my truck, it was the exhaust valve being stuck, causing the carb to overheat.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Chris Roy
New User
Exhaust Valve

Thanks for all the replies. After reading the replies and thinking about it for a while, I am thinking it may be the exhaust valve. There something under that carb that had a part fall off and doesn't seem to look right. Attached are a couple images.

Exhaust Valve?

Air cleaner placement

Old 11-11-2018, 12:21 PM
fluff
Mountain Pass
sorry chris for hijacking your thread
that exhaust valve thing is spring loaded and not stuck
I guess it opens after warm up? not sure its working/….

Old 11-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Chris Roy
New User
In response to the previous message:

- The more the merrier. I am glad you are adding input into the thread and asking questions. That is how we all learn.
- The exhaust valve thing was mentioned. No, it is not stuck, but it does have a part missing so I know that it is not working correctly. From what I can tell, it closes once the vehicle is warm. In my case, since it is not working, I think it is staying open and warming up the carb.

I do have a couple questions for others:
- What is that thing called that I have in the pictures above? When I do a search for Exhaust Valve, that mechanical piece does not show up.
- Does anyone know where I could see an image? That way I will be able to determine what is missing.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:01 PM
fluff
Mountain Pass
Smile

chris
yours looks just like mine. make sure that lever looking thing moves and is spring loaded. when cold, it will be towards the passenger fender and when it heats up it will be pulled towards the block
my coil looking spring the big one that expands,had shifted somehow and got under the one on that small shaft and was not opening. big difference on the way it runs now, much better. I always noticed when running a few miles it seemed really hot under the hood. I will bet that was the problem it definitely was not opening when I checked it yesterday. I will bet it starts better too, just now found this
thanks to fuzzface and *****

Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Chris Roy that thing in your picture is not an exhaust valve. exhaust valves are in the cyl. head. what that thing is . is a "heater" it is supposed to help your carb. warm up. it slowly opens as you drive your truck. if you live in a colder area. it will take longer to fully open.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Florida Chris
Cross-Country
Is this a crack? If so might it be part of the problem?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 AM
fluff
Mountain Pass
looks like all the parts are there. mine looks the same way, 3 springs there. will it move and if so is it spring loaded? not sure about the crack

Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd check the carb to make sure that fuel isn't leaking through the accelerator pump and flooding the intake.

Quick Reply: 1967 F100 240 6-cylinder Hard to Restart after Driving