Sponsored by: Moser

rear slider questions 76 f250

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Arleigh Bacarella
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear slider questions 76 f250

hey guys i have a 76 f 250 that has a slider in it well i was unloading some firewood this morning and a piece of wood broke one square of the slider im wondering what years will fit for a replacement? and if im best off replacing the whole thing or just the square that got broke please help.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 PM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably depends on the condition of your seals/latch etc. They are the same from 73 to 96.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been looking at replacing mine as well. I haven't found a usable used unit but do have some pertinent information I have learned. There is difference in the thickness of the window frames and so different gaskets. Make note of the model year you pull the window from so you can get the right gasket.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:50 AM
benbuilder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have two original rear sliders i have taken apart for parts. pm me if interested

Old 10-31-2018, 09:14 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 54Hydro
I've been looking at replacing mine as well. I haven't found a usable used unit but do have some pertinent information I have learned. There is difference in the thickness of the window frames and so different gaskets. Make note of the model year you pull the window from so you can get the right gasket.

You are correct, I bought one at the Spring Carlisle Swap Meet for $10, like new!! get home and go to install it in my '77, the new seal I bought would not fit. Got one for a '90 and it fits perfect. The frame is definitely thicker on the later models.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:29 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 54Hydro
3x on this.

80+ gaskets go with 80+ sliders. 79-pre gaskets go with 79-pre sliders.

Do not attempt to mix and match a new gasket with an old slider. It won't "fit right" and you'll be singing an unhappy tune when it rains.

On a positive note, the 96 slider + 96 gasket I installed in my truck works amazing And it's 100% black

Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 AM
captainpease
7th Gear
I worked on my 78 F150 rear slider this weekend. I decided to replace mine because I was tired of hearing the old slider windows clank around while driving. They had too much play. I went with the LMC pre-tinted slider: Truck Parts and Truck Accessories It looks sharp, but now I'm worried I'm going to miss the old aluminum frame... Keeping the original just in case!

Lessons Learned
Install the gasket to the frame first, then work the slider window into the gasket with soapy water and an extra helper with a plastic window tool. The rope trick doesn't work because the gasket is too loose and falls off the slider frame. I recommend getting the gasket with the chrome trim. It allows more flex when installing the new slider since the trim goes on after the slider is in place. I had to take mine into a glass installer to get the chrome trim installed since I didn't have the tool for it. Took about 20 minutes for them to work it into place with soapy water and a lot of elbow grease!

Before

After (final)

After (chrome trim install)

Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Free-Wheelin
New User
restoring an original 1979 slider window

I know this post doesn't help the original member with his question.... but since we are on the topic of sliders.... I have a nice sliding window for my 1979 restoration project but it could use new seals around all the glass. Does anyone have experience with finding and installing replacement seals? Still searching archives so I if find anything specific I'll share it.
Thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Free-Wheelin
New User
Should have clarified that I am not referring to the gasket that goes around the outer frame.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Can't help you with finding one. But installing them is easy. They just slide on the rear slider and are held in place by friction.

Getting the assembly (gasket + slider) onto the truck is another animal. It's best to have some bailer twine and warm soapy water, and a lot of patience. A helper will also be nice as you need to rest the rear slider against the back of the cab, crawl inside, and start working your way towards seating the gasket in its spot on the cab rear window.

Put some rope or bailer twine in the seam/groove of the gasket (all the way around) and leave some extra out of each end for something to yank on. Tie a knot in the end of the rope so you've got some grip. With the slider held against the back of the cab from the outside, start pulling (slowly) on the rope as your assistant applies pressure to the same area as you're pulling on.

Basically you're "walking" the gasket from the outside of the cab to the inside of the cab via help of the rope. Work slowly. And don't be afraid to go from one rope to the other if one is giving you issues. The corners will be particularly difficult if the window isn't 100% aligned from the outside.... but you can shift it left and right by smacking your hand against the inside edges while the slider is open. Give yourself 2+ hours to do this job. Be patient.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM
old_redd
Junior User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Work slowly. And don't be afraid to go from one rope to the other if one is giving you issues. The corners will be particularly difficult if the window isn't 100% aligned from the outside.... but you can shift it left and right by smacking your hand against the inside edges while the slider is open. Give yourself 2+ hours to do this job. Be patient.
All of this. Just swapped one into my '78. Patience is key. This was the first time I've ever done it. 2 hours is a solid window of time for this

Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by old_redd
All of this. Just swapped one into my '78. Patience is key. This was the first time I've ever done it. 2 hours is a solid window of time for this
I forgot to add in comments about using soapy warm water!

I used quite a bit of soapy warm water when I installed mine. I didn't drench everything, but it had a nice thin film / misting before installing. Sure made things go easier, and all I needed was a big bath towel to wipe up once I was done.

The soapy water helped the gasket move around while being installed and helped it find its' "spot" where it wanted to go. Don't use too much though!!! Too much of a slippery surface, and the gasket will just slide all over on you like a hockey puck on ice.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:48 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I would recommend against lithium grease. It works, but boy does it leave a mess behind...

Old 11-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by meangreen92
I would recommend against lithium grease. It works, but boy does it leave a mess behind...
Speaking from experience there meangreen?

Old 11-27-2018, 10:26 AM
captainpease
7th Gear

Before

After

After

Quick Reply: rear slider questions 76 f250