5th wheel hitch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Tugboatguy
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
5th wheel hitch question

My wife and I are looking at a 2014 Flagstaff 8528 IKWS 5th wheel trailer that is equipped with a Reese Revolution pin box. My truck is a 2016 F250 FWD, 6.2L supercab with 6’9” bed. The truck has no factory prep for 5th wheel. Trailer has GVW under 10,000 lbs. What hitch would you recommend! I’m thinking of having bed rails installed to accept hitch.

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously you'll need a hitch - and you've got numerous choices available to you; without the puck system you will need to adapt the truck.

If you go with rails they'll always be there, often in the way of using the bed - and removing the typical 5th hitch from them is somewhat difficult (heavy, often greasy).

Alternatively you can have a gooseneck type hitch installed; some have mounted ***** that can be turned inward (out of the way) while other styles use fixed OR removable *****. This style allows for better bed usage when not actively towing.

One popular hitch is the Anderson Ultimate Hitch (hitch + pin hitch adapter) - it attaches to a gooseneck ball AND the hitch is under 40 pounds = easy to handle.

By the way, I don't believe your truck is FWD (front wheel drive); did you perhaps mean 4WD/ 4X4?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 AM
Tugboatguy
Cross-Country
5th wheel hitch

Thanks for the respose. The Anderson is one of the hitches I’ve been looking at.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugboatguy
Thanks for the respose. The Anderson is one of the hitches I’ve been looking at.

The Andersen does not work with the Revolution/Sidewinder. To use it, you would have to lock the Reese pin box. Honestly, I would recommend a standard fifth wheel hitch with the Revolution. If you install a B&W Turnover or other removable goose ball, you could get a hitch to fit like the B&W Companion and have a flat bed when removed. Etrailer.com is a good source to find goose ball mount hitches.
I have the Andersen and I had the Sidewinder in the past before replacing it with a MorRyde pin box.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
My dad really enjoyed his Reese Elite 18K hitch and Reese 5th Airborne pinbox.

The hitch is fairly easy to install and remove and there are only 4 pucks in the bed when the hitch is out.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Two Internet Quotes, source etrailer.com:

"I spoke with my contact at B&W about the Companion Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch, part # BWRVK3500. They told me that the base weighs 131 lbs, and the coupler weighs 73 lbs, for a combined weight of approximately 204 lbs. "

"I spoke with my contact at Cequent and she said the Reese Elite Series 5th Wheel Hitch, part # RP30144, weighs 218 pounds.

That eats into your available cargo weight, and takes muscles to remove when desired. "

Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm not sure how much the rails weigh but my dad had the non-slider version (RP30142) with the underbed mount (long bed Chevy 2500). Unpin and remove the head, rotate the cams and remove the base. Not too bad of a job in or out. 4 pucks in the cam holes and the bed is fully usable. Not sure what the front cap looks like on the 5er you're considering so don't know if a slider is all you're considering.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:57 AM
bwbarnes
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SkiSmuggs,

I'm thinking about changing out my standard pin box for a MorRyde pin box, how do you like yours? Btw, I'm using the Andersen hitch as well and like it a lot.

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
The Andersen does not work with the Revolution/Sidewinder. To use it, you would have to lock the Reese pin box. Honestly, I would recommend a standard fifth wheel hitch. If you install a B&W Turnover or other removable goose ball, you could get a hitch to fit like the B&W Companion and have a flat bed when removed. Etrailer.com is a good source to find goose ball mount hitches.
I have the Andersen and I had the Sidewinder in the past before replacing it with a MorRyde pin box.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
I put the MorRyde on my 5'er too....what a difference between that and my original Lippert. No more noise and the AUH made it even quieter. Also nice that this almost 80 year old can lift the AUH !!!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:29 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bwbarnes
SkiSmuggs,

I'm thinking about changing out my standard pin box for a MorRyde pin box, how do you like yours? Btw, I'm using the Andersen hitch as well and like it a lot.
I got the MorRyde (replaced Sidewinder) because to level my fiver with the new truck I had to move the Sidewinder to the top holes and had to lock it so it wouldn't hit the support. Once I no longer had the Sidewinder function, the harsh towing really started to bug me. I was crossing the US and already had an appointment at MorRyde for suspension work, so I asked them to install their pin box as well. What a difference! It dramatically reduced chucking (still had the Reese hitch) or softened it. When I started hearing about the AUH, I watch some of the videos, one of which had the MorRyde pin box so I got one the following year and love it.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Tugboatguy
Cross-Country
5 th wheel hitch

Having trouble finding the rails for my 2016 F250 FWD that will allow my to get the bef rails installed. I’d lile a kit that I don’t have to drill thru frame if I can find one.
Does anbody know brand and part # for the kit? My understanding it is the kit will have some kind of bracket that connects to feame of truck and underside of bed and the brackets that bolt inti the bed.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
While I may be mistaken I believe all the major fifth wheel hitch manufacturers have kits designed to fit to the trucks frame without drilling. If you've selected a specific hitch then call them up and make the inquiry; secondly you can call whoever you've selected as the supplier as to what the options are. A third choice is to go to an RV dealer (and/or service center) and make the same inquiries. You've got many options but they most easily start with picking up the phone.

Yet another option is to install the Ford puck system, I presume its available from Ford (only a phone call away); with that system you'll NOT have rails in the way.

And I'll say it again, you DO NOT have an F250 FWD (front wheel drive).

Old 10-26-2018, 10:24 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
In my ‘15 F250 I initially had a 20k lb Reese slider and never had to use the slider function. Once I got tired of the chucking I got my first Anderson Ultimate steel rail mount hitch. After I got my new F350 my first accessory purchase was a AUH aluminum hitch.
One time I tried to remove the Reese hitch, alone, and it didn’t go well, got help from my son and then had to get help with the reinstall. Then I had to deal with that hitch sitting in my garage. I can take out and install the AUH all by myself in minutes and I hang it from a hook on the wall.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:07 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Another potential problem is ... reselling a used hitch.
They are quite numerous on craigslist; short of nearly giving them away supply and demand make them not worth the effort. I got my money's back in using mine.

Instead of trying to sell my previous old hitch I left it in my traded in vehicle (along with the 5th tailgate). Let the new owners use/ enjoy it.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM
jws24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Army RET
Two Internet Quotes, source etrailer.com:

"I spoke with my contact at B&W about the Companion Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch, part # BWRVK3500. They told me that the base weighs 131 lbs, and the coupler weighs 73 lbs, for a combined weight of approximately 204 lbs. "

"I spoke with my contact at Cequent and she said the Reese Elite Series 5th Wheel Hitch, part # RP30144, weighs 218 pounds.

That eats into your available cargo weight, and takes muscles to remove when desired."
i hope they also to!d you they are two pieces and while heavy, I take mine in and out of the bed by myself.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel hitch question