Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers vs limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:45 AM
1989 4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers vs limited slip

Need some insight on what y'all think is better thanks

Old 10-23-2018, 06:31 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Depends on the use: front/rear diff,offroad,drag,street. A locker will drive both axles,where a LS won't sometimes. My F350 has lockers f/r, my F150 a LS.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:18 AM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Assuming you have an 8.8, drop in a $300ish locker that replaces the spider gears (there's no reason to spend big bucks on a locker that replaces the carrier in a half ton axle). It's hard to understate how much better your traction is when both wheels have to spin the same speed as long as power is being transmitted through the axle.

If handling in snow is an issue for you then learn to have some self control with your right foot.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I've got an Aussie locker in the rear, off road performance is awesome. Coupled with dropping air pressure in the tires way down and no sway bars, I can creep over very rough terrain that would stop my truck in its tracks before the locker and sway bar removal. This is generally rutted/rocky roads that try to lift a tire or two. Not much speed or wheel spin required/happens at all, no parts breaking this way. It chirps the inside tire on the street if I'm turning and step into a bit, or clunks with lighter throttle as the locker disengages/engages. I haven't noticed much improvement in mud; I think good tires will matter more there.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards
If handling in snow is an issue for you then learn to have some self control with your right foot.
This times ten. This is stated far too gently. If you use a full locker on the hiway with ice and snow you will eventually end up in a ditch. Stand by for people to deny this. Denial is a powerful thing. Remember, 'cause I won't even bother to say "told you".

Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Here's a link to a thread I started on different differential types if you want more info on the options: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...erentials.html

For my "short" answer, I've always felt that factory-style limited slips are the worst possible option: bad enough handling in snow that I would rule it out for that even if it gave good enough traction when you need it (which it doesn't). But that's my opinion, and I know others feel differently. I'm not saying they're wrong, just that I don't share their opinion.

I am in the process of getting a Truetrac installed in my truck. I think I'll like that limited slip option a lot, but no experience yet to base that on.

And I've had Detroits and lunch-box lockers in the rear of several vehicles. They aren't for everyone, but if you're willing to accept their quirks (as ****-sideways and GoinBoarding have mentioned) I find them very acceptable on the street and a great option when traction is poor (but maybe not so great on side-hills).

And a selectable locker (like an ARB) can be the best of both worlds. Downsides are that they tend to cost the most and you have to remember to use them (that last part's not a big deal, but I do prefer automatic lockers in the rear for this reason, they are just there and they work).

Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by HardScrabble
This times ten. This is stated far too gently. If you use a full locker on the hiway with ice and snow you will eventually end up in a ditch. Stand by for people to deny this. Denial is a powerful thing. Remember, 'cause I won't even bother to say "told you".
OK, I'll be the first to deny! Actually HardScrabble is right, it's very easy to swap ends in snow if you have a heavy right foot. But in three different vehicles (including a short wheelbase CJ5) I've found it easy to avoid too, by simply not having a heavy right foot. But as I said above, if you're not willing to live with the quirks, then automatic lockers aren't for you. And I'd never have my wife, or a teenaged son drive one in the winter. You need to be willing and able to "drive to the vehicle."

Old 10-23-2018, 01:17 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
I installed my locker in June. Not much snow use yet, just one small storm a couple weeks ago. I do run a lot of highway in winter, on terrible roads in high wind. I'm interested to see how that goes. My guess is that it won't be bad loaded with sleds or my camper (typically this will be the case), but empty might be trickier (atypical/infrequent). Selectable locker would be great, but that's more money and install time than I was willing to part with.

Brian probably has the best point: what is your intended use?

​​​​

Old 10-24-2018, 04:02 AM
1989 4x4
New User
Thanks everyone but I don't have to wrry about snow but driving and off road i figured limited slip so it wouldn't be locked in at all times. Some say lockers isn't the best way to go if you drive it alot

Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 AM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
A locker driven on the street will wear the tires for sure.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:07 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 1989 4x4
Thanks everyone but I don't have to wrry about snow but driving and off road i figured limited slip so it wouldn't be locked in at all times. Some say lockers isn't the best way to go if you drive it alot
What do you encounter off road? Where are you? If it's the flats of Florida, yeah limited slip and mud terrains might be the way to go. If it's frame twister rocks of the desert or mountains, I'd vote locker. I don't notice my locker at all on the highway, only in town or off road.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:53 PM
96halfton
Junior User
Both of my trucks have ford factory limited slip(a 96 f150 and a 95 f250). They do have better traction than an open diff. Are they fantastic, in my experience no. It makes the back end of the truck very loose on snow and ice but thats not a huge deal if you drive knowing that. I would say it depends on how much more traction you looking for. If it is for offroad traction I would say get a locker, if its for more of a street truck then I would go lsd as long as your willing to drive it differently in bad conditions.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 96halfton
Both of my trucks have ford factory limited slip(a 96 f150 and a 95 f250). They do have better traction than an open diff. Are they fantastic, in my experience no. It makes the back end of the truck very loose on snow and ice but thats not a huge deal if you drive knowing that. I would say it depends on how much more traction you looking for. If it is for offroad traction I would say get a locker, if its for more of a street truck then I would go lsd as long as your willing to drive it differently in bad conditions.
Personally I find it easier to drive with an automatic locker in the snow than a factory-style limited slip. As discussed above, an automatic locker will spin you around pretty quickly if your right foot is too heavy, but it's not hard for me at least to adjust to that. On the other hand a clutch-type limited slip will spin you out even if you are coasting around a corner. But that's my experience and opinion.

A Truetrac is supposed to have free differential action (unlike a clutch-type limited slip that needs to slip the clutches for the wheels to turn different speeds) so they should be the best bet in the winter (although they will still spin you out easier than an open diff if you give it too much power). I'll get to experience that this coming winter.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
Drove my old blazer and 96 s10 around for years with a 7018 locker dry, wet, snow. Just have to be a driver and not a steering wheel holder

Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 PM
96halfton
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Personally I find it easier to drive with an automatic locker in the snow than a factory-style limited slip. As discussed above, an automatic locker will spin you around pretty quickly if your right foot is too heavy, but it's not hard for me at least to adjust to that. On the other hand a clutch-type limited slip will spin you out even if you are coasting around a corner. But that's my experience and opinion.

A Truetrac is supposed to have free differential action (unlike a clutch-type limited slip that needs to slip the clutches for the wheels to turn different speeds) so they should be the best bet in the winter (although they will still spin you out easier than an open diff if you give it too much power). I'll get to experience that this coming winter.
I can't speak for a locker as I have no experience with one but what your saying makes sense as to why they would be better in snow. I only noticed sliding with my f150 when it was given throttle around a corner not coasting. Now that you mention that however with my new(to me) f250 I have noticed the back end slide around on loose gravel with next to no throttle. Possibly because the f150 had more miles and the lsd was more worn. If this is the case I'm not sure I would want to drive with a brand new lsd in slipery conditions. For the OP I would go with a locker if you want maximum traction but it does come at the cost of more tire wear.

Quick Reply: Lockers vs limited slip