1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1971 F250 Gas Milage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
1971 F250 Gas Milage?

Just would like to know what gas mileage I might get on my 1971 F250 two wheel drive pickup with the following information.
Basic stock internal 300 4.9L motor
Dual 3 into one headman headers
Dual 2.5" mufflers into single 3" tale pipe
Holley two barrel carb with adapter & stock 300 intake hogged out a bit
Stock P&C distributor & plug wires
28" tires all around
3.73 rear end ratio
3 speed C4 trans with shift kit
Mostly drive around town, 40-55 mph normal, very little freeway driving
No load in bed most of the time
I know a lot depends on how you drive, but you get the idea.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Around town...12-14 ish. Freeway ...16 ish

Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree. With the 3.73 gears, it will accelerate easily around town, thus making you NOT have to lean into the throttle so hard to get moving.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 PM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
'65Ford & Freightrain --- Thanks for the information. I would be very happy to get 12-14 around town and 16 on the freeway. Now it's time to check some mileage and see how close I get to those numbers.

I am not a fan of the Holley 350 two barrel carb, it tends to be a gas hog. I would like to find a good rebuildable Autolite 1.08 2100 or 2150. I think it is a great carb for milage on a 300 4.9L motor.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Might consider replacing the points & condenser with an Ignitor module and using a high output coil. Remove the resistor ballast wire and run direct battery voltage. Make sure ground cables and connection to the block is clean and tight. I even run a cable direct to the cylinder heads, and then bond them together. The idea is to provide for hottest possible spark, the key to efficiently burning leaner fuel mixtures. If the ignition is weak, especially under load or high speed, it will only run decent with an overly fat fuel mixture.

A sloppy distributor with high mileage will often cause a cylinder or two to ping or knock requiring the entire ignition advance to be detuned or retarded. The problem with trucks is they have the aerodynamics of a brick and are heavy. Properly geared a bare bones V8 in a car will realize 20 to 25 mpg on the highway with a good timing curve and a setup vacuum advance, and carburetor jetted and setup correctly. A jet size change flows about a 2.4% difference - and there are two in a Autolite or Holley - so if you can jet down the fuel consumption changes are pretty easy to pencil out.

The key to mileage is to lean out the fuel air mixture on the highway when cruising on level ground in high gear. Engine load is practically nonexistent under these specific conditions. At the same time, the vacuum advance pulls in mucho extra ignition timing due to the high manifold vacuum. Here again, a hot ignition spark at the plugs is required. Lean fuel mixtures are safe during level cruise. Modern fuel injected engines run as high as 18-1 AFR, this is not possible with carbureted engines, but with careful tuning around 16-1 is right as rain and will return the best mileage. Interestingly if the fuel mixtures are too lean, the fuel mileage actually starts to decrease. It will run excessively hot.

The danger to keep in mind though is whenever the engine is under acceleration, under load, under power, wide open throttle etc, the air fuel ratio must be well on the rich side of things. Lean fuel mixtures under these conditions, WILL burn valves or holes in the pistons. Think of how an acetylene torch flame acts when you dial in the O2. Same thing inside your engine.

If you want to tune for mileage a wideband O2 sensor is the way to go. I was able to jet way down and pretty much double fuel economy. This also required drilling out the PVCRs, these are sort of like fixed jets, under the power valve. The power valve determines when extra fuel is provided under acceleration, not how much. As always the plugs will still tell you how it's running. It is a lot more difficult with modern fuel, but there are important cues to look for. Deep inside the plug, where the shell transitions to the porcelain, is the color ring to look for. This is where the wide open throttle fuel mixture can be observed. The ground strap shows both heat range, and ignition timing. The first few threads and the base ring shows cruise jetting. Using a hotter ignition and leaner fuel mixtures might need to step down to a slightly colder plug. If the plugs are running too hot it can start to ping or knock due to pre-ignition even if the timing is correct.

Keep the fuel fat under power and acceleration and lean it out on the highway and your engine will be very happy, your wallet will thank you, and you won't need a fuel truck to follow you around.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
Tedster9 -- Thanks for the information. Do you know what model Ignitor Module unit would be best for my setup?

Also will both the distributor & coil need to be replaced?

Any idea of a good starting jet size? Power Valve size?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by old28
Tedster9 -- Thanks for the information. Do you know what model Ignitor Module unit would be best for my setup?
I've used the basic Ignitor, the 1281 for a long time. Ford used the same points from '57 to '73, even for sixes (I think) so the 1281 should be the one. It's $67 if you shop around, not too bad. You can use the existing distributor, cap, and wires. You can use the stock coil too if you want.

Any idea of a good starting jet size? Power Valve size?
The factory stock sizes in the shop manual are where to start. Make sure everything else is right, like fuel pump pressure, fuel height, no vacuum leaks. What do your plugs look like?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:21 AM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
Tedster9 --- Thanks again for a bit more on the ignitor system. I looked up the 1281 unit and it looks like it is for a V8 motor and I am running a 300 L6 4.9L in my truck.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Florida Chris
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tedster9 --- Thanks again for a bit more on the ignitor system. I looked up the 1281 unit and it looks like it is for a V8 motor and I am running a 300 L6 4.9L in my truck.
You need the Pertronix 1261 for the 300 I6 motor. I went went their Flamethrower coil at the same time. I'm able to run a .045 gap on my plugs now instead of the factory .035 gap.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Yeah I wondered if it was the same, though the points were the same for V8. I put together a points distributor as a spare to throw behind the seat just in case the Pertronix ever dies on the road. Well it works good, but the difference in spark between points and the Ignitor at the plugs is noticeable when you look at a grounded plug in the open air. I use the 1.5 ohm epoxy flamethrower coil too. The only thing if you go this route everything has to be in good shape, cap, wires, rotor etc, good quality. The spark plugs will always only "take what they need" in terms of firing voltage, but running straight battery voltage to the ignition coil does boost everything up a notch. High quality plug wires are a must. If there is a weak spot in the ignition components, the higher ignition voltage will find it and arc to ground.

Most often distributors are just mechanically worn out by now, with a whole lot of shaft wobble or sideplay. Points don't like this at all, and the (dwell) ignition timing will be erratic. The Ignitor module is electronically triggered by magnets and so is a lot less affected. If you can find a fresh distributor though, I would recommend that even when running Pertronix. If you want to stick with points though it is really critical.

6 cylinder engines Pertronix reccomends a 3 ohm coil. The classic Bosch Blue coil is really good at a good price. That would be run with straight battery voltage to the coil.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:31 PM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
Florida Chris & Tedster9 --- Thanks to both of you for the Pertronix & coil information. After looking at the pertronix page I see that the 1261 unit is correct for the Ford 300 4.9L motor.
They list the Flamethrower 12V 40,000coil as 40501 / 40511 / 40611 in both 1.5 & 3.0 ohm. But they call for a 3.0 ohm with the 1261 unit.

This is ware I get a little confused. When hooking up the coil (+) side do I run a feed wire from the resister or because there are no points you run a battery 12 volt wire without the resister?

As they say in their web page the flamethrower 40,000 coil should be a 3.0 ohm unit only, is this correct?

Anything I am missing?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:08 PM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
subscribing. Good info

Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Yep, use a 3.0 ohm coil with direct voltage meaning no ballast resistor. In Fords for many years it was part of the wiring harness aka "pink wire" from the ignition switch. Disconnect that and replace it with a heavy gauge wire from the switch to the + pos terminal of the coil. I have heard better things about the Bosch coil from people who do that stuff for a living. Just make sure it's a 3 ohm coil though whatever you decide on.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 PM
old28
Fleet Mechanic
Tedster9 & Florida Chris ---- Thanks for setting me on the right path. I am not going to make the changes for a few months, but it is nice to have all my ducks in a row. This information is very helpful.
I will check into the 3.0 ohm Bosch Blue but I think I will stay with the Flamethrower 3.0 ohm as I have used this coil with a Pertronix 1261 on a 292 Chevy L6 motor I ran in my vintage dragster.

Pertronix lists Flamethrower 40501 / 40511 / 40611 , all three are 12 volt, 40,000 volt, 3.0 ohm. I am not sure witch one to use?
Florida Chris, did you use one of the numbers listed?

Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Florida Chris
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Pertronix lists Flamethrower 40501 / 40511 / 40611 , all three are 12 volt, 40,000 volt, 3.0 ohm. I am not sure witch one to use?
Florida Chris, did you use one of the numbers listed?
I used the 40611 Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil.

I found it easier to leave the pick/brown resistor wire in place and use it to activate a simple SPST relay. I ran a 12v wire from the battery/solenoid to the relay. I used the pink wire to trigger the relay. When triggered, the relay sends the full 12v to the coil. This setup means you don't have to mess with the ignition switch wiring, and you can leave the pink wire in place and go back to points if you ever need to. I carry a spare set of points with me in case the Pertronix or the relay ever fails.

See photo of relay and mounting location. You can see I coiled up the extra length of the pink wire instead of cutting it:

And here is a photo of everything all cleaned up:

Quick Reply: 1971 F250 Gas Milage?