2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Under the hood preventative maint.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 AM
coriolis2k
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the hood preventative maint.

I will be picking up my 2019 F350 Diesel Super Duty FX4 next week. My question is this:
Are things like OptiLube XPD fuel additive and Amsoil single bypass filter's worth the investment or are they just hype.
Are there any other "under the hood" things folks would recommend?

I have myOBDlink MX Bluetooth coming, and I will be doing a bunch of exterior upgrades down the road. However, I first want to make sure I take care of the engine first.

V/R
K

Old 10-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
coriolis2k - Did you order the Forscan Scanner OBDLink SX/MX (STN 11xx) that I see listed on the Foscan.org web page? If so, how much did it cost? Why did you choose that scanner?

In regards to Bypass Oil Filters, such as the Amsoil brand, I have no experience with them. I did read a lot about them when I was researching diesel motors in anticipation of ordering a Ford SD with a 6.7L. I spoke to a recommended diesel mechanic in Tucson who told me, “They’re unnecessary if you change your oil every 5,000 miles.” I have been advised by several other longtime diesel owners to change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals. I primarily intend to do this because I qualify under the category “Severe Duty” in the owner’s manual - towing a travel trailer most of the time and/or having a cartop carrier, both of which I do and have (two sea kayaks on the top of the camper shell no doubt qualifies as a cartop carrier).

I am also buying both a Premium Extended Service Plan (6yr/125k Miles) and a Premium Maintenance Plan (6yr/125k Miles/5,000 mile interval). I have talked with several people and companies about these and will be posting my findings soon. The information that I’ve obtained is slightly contrary to what many on this forum have said. No time to expound all the details right now, so stay tuned.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:13 AM
coriolis2k
Freshman User
I ordered from Amazon (~$80) based on a link in one of the threads on this site, this is what I ordered:
ScanTool OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android.

I have reached out to Joel already and he is working on my PES, I think it was 8/125.

My main concern is the ULS Diesel and what I have read about it's lack of lubricity...this is what the OptiLube is supposed to help counter.

Thanks for the feedback.

V/R
K

Old 10-21-2018, 11:14 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy good clean fuel, check your water separator monthly, fill it up and drive. Fuel additives are not necessary unless you have warm weather fuel and driving into the cold and want anti gel. Ford PM-23a for winter antigel, PM-22 for summer for lubricity and increased cetane rating. I always carry some fuel additive but seldom needed to use it. I treat a tank every once in a while. Fuel mileage improves slightly depending on the fuel source and it’s cetane rating. I mostly buy at high volume commercial card lock and have never found water in my fuel separator over about 500,000 Km.

there is a good thread on here about bypass oil filtration. Personally, I don’t think it’s necessary. Remember this engine has a sophisticatedly oil monitor and willl be able to run oil changes in the 10,000 mile plus range without anything additional. I would rpbe reluctant to stretch the OCI past what the oil monitor says for fear of loss of warranty coverage. As a result, bypass filtration seems pointless to me. I am currently doing 5000 mile service package, when I get to the end I will go from semi synthetic Ford provides to synthetic and go by the oil monitor.

have fun driving your new truck! They are a blast to drive.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran a BP Filter in the old 7.3L.
That was a different era.
Today the new regen cycle is hard on lubricants.
It may be more prudent to use a quality oil and stick with a regimen per owners manual.
IF anything needs engine attention it may be less heartache to prove your maintenance is lined up per owners manual.
Spend that money on other mods.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM
N2dunz
Senior User
I run PM22 on every fill up.
Just have since my 2012.
I change my oil every 5000 miles no matter what.
All Motorcraft filters and I just drive and enjoy.
Towed 11,000lbs this past Friday for 900 miles.
Truck never came out of overdrive with the cruise on.
Love this truck.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 AM
lariatbob
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have read in more than one place that the Optlube XPD is not recommended, possible problems with the injectors. I may be wrong......

Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM
coriolis2k
Freshman User
Originally Posted by lariatbob
I'm pretty sure I have read in more than one place that the Optlube XPD is not recommended, possible problems with the injectors. I may be wrong......
Thanks for for heads up, guess I will do some searching and see what I can find.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:48 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
All you have to do is follow the maintenance instructions in the manual and you'll be good to go. Those items you listed (BP filter, fuel additive) won't hurt but you're unlikely to see a benefit.

That said, I do not use a BPO filter. I use a regular Donaldson filter which is 99% @ 15 micron. I also use Redline RL-2 and Enerburn, though I believe the Opti-lube products are good also.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:03 PM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I use Optilube XPD every fill-up. Never hear of injectors issues that lariatbob mentions - got anything to back this claim up?

Old 10-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Mowjobs2
Freshman User
I don’t know a thing about deleted trucks so all my knowledge is about stock trucks. And from my experience and my expectations from something that cost this much: turn it on when ya wanna go. Turn it off when your finished. If it’s not in the manual don’t drop a penny on it. If there is some additive or some filter that can make it a smidge better or a little hair smoother I doubt it would be noticeable in performance and with your warranty you’ll be fine if there’s a hiccup leaving her to the book she comes with. That’s why they give it to us.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Archoil has both a fuel and oil additive that has proven to work well in 7.3s and 6.0s. I used it in my 6.0 and never had an injector problem in 240K miles. I have not tried it in my '17.

Having worked with all of the major auto manufacturers on a range of vehicles, I see no need to stray from the recommended service intervals. I change the oil in my truck when the prompt screen appears. That has been about 9400 mile intervals. I drain the water separator every so often. I think I have done it 3 times in 18,000 miles. Never seen a drop of water, but then I only buy fuel at, name brand, high volume locations.

So far my air filter is fine and I plan on changing the fuel filter before winter sets in just so I don't have to do it in the cold when the mileage comes up.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:16 PM
RubyLariat
Freshman User
I’ve done a lot of research on the bypass filter and fuel additives. I’ve found the bypass filter to be a piece of mind addition, same goes for the fuel additives. I personally only run stanadyne fuel additive for the piece of mind. $7 every 3 fill ups is cheap enough for my piece of mind.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This has been my first Ford Oil burner in 14 years. Used the Opti in the Cummins engines before however, use just the Ford additive and Amsoil EA filters and the new spec 5-40 Amsoil Signature Series.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just bought a case of (9) Donaldson 502503 filters. Currently I’m using oil analysis to observe trends. The BP is good if you are into long oil change intervals and you monitor the oil through analysis. With a wimpy 10,000 mile recommended OCI a BP is not beneficial.