1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Steering problems after alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:08 AM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering problems after alignment?

E150 van.

Just had an alignment done twice.

The van pulls to the left when driving. The van wants to go left and I have to keep the wheel centered to stay straight.

Making a right turn feels good and wheel returns to center good.

Making a left turn feels loose and almost feels like the van is going to flip over. Wheel does not return to center without help.

I replaced tires and had the alignment done. I left the shop and went back to have them realign it after symptoms. Same result. The shop has no other answers.

Shop originally filled all my tires to 70 psi except for the drivers side front, which was at 35 psi. So I evened out the pressure in the front and went 41 psi in the back and the symptoms got a little better but it is still pulling.

Why does making a left or steering left on the freeway seem so loose and unsafe? Even at low speeds, it feels like the van is going to tip over.

Any thoughts/experiences/ideas?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Who did this alignment and who replaced the tires---same outfit?

An immediate thought is some part of the steering system is seriously worn, perhaps to an almost dangerous degree. Properly operating steering shouldn't have any big differences between turning left or right. Any competent alignment shop would almost instantly detect a worn part so I'm questioning whatever shop did your work.

I can't add much more without a lot more info such as a thorough inspection of your front end parts by someone who knows their do-do. Something this noticeable should almost jump out at whoever tries to do a real alignment. Tire pressure, brakes dragging, failing ball joint, tie rod ends---everything up front needs checked ASAP.

Good luck with this!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:30 AM
VannerDude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can relate a bit. I thought I better rotate my 2006's tires so I did just that.

Started pulling left. Still can't figure out how that's possible.

Hi JWA, good to see you.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:17 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
I put new tires on my van and wanted to have it lined up. I paid two different shops to align mine and both filed. The tires were starting to feather on the outer edges and pulling to the left in between alignments. Finally the last shop was working overtime and allowed me to go back in the shop. On my 88 E150 there is only one adjustment to set the tow. Finally i just held the right tire till it was setting on "0" on the alignment machine and told the employee to turn the adjustment sleeve till is wheel was at "0", That stopped the wear and pulling to the left,10k ago..

What JW said as well as check the brakes and make sure one is not dragging... That can cause one wheel to pull to the side

Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Harvard
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Might help to see an alignment report. If the caster settings are way out of wack (ie Cross Caster = ???) it could be involved.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by VannerDude
Hi JWA, good to see you.
Same here---in fact good to see Annaleigh & Harvard still kicking around too!

Too often when we see a steering issue we also notice whose doing the alignment---typically tire shops. Personally I use a big truck shop specializing in frame,springs and alignments on those types vehicles---they seem consistently able to do the job correctly. Logic says tire shops should have a handle on alignments yet they don't, especially if its an issue that requires a depth of knowledge or understanding of steering geometry, how to diagnose those issues and more importantly how to fix them properly.

I don't think I'm paying significantly more using those shops but when I compare their ability to do it right the first time anything under $200 is well worth it.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you are describing is a pretty severe caster problem. Most likely the left side caster is way too little or even negative. Take it back to the alignment shop and have they check the caster.

There is a spec for cross caster. Typically the left front should have about a half a degree less than the right.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:55 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Post your alignment specs, before and after. You did get them, didn't you? This was a note to myself when fighting a tire wear problem on a new 1965 F150 with the first year twin I beam. Ford dicked around with it under warranty and finally sent it out to a real truck shop that bent a few components to get it aligned.