Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster.. Voltage Guage ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Fred Zahn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Cluster.. Voltage Guage ?

I have a 93 F350 with a 460 cu in engine gas. Last year the oil pressure guage stopped working. I changed the sending unit several times with no change. So I know there is nothing I can do about that. I had installed these new LED bulbs in the cluster so I am wondering if that could be part of the issue ??? When I put the LED bulbs in all the sockets I noticed that there is a Red battery light on the bottom of the cluster that just stays on all the time. Don't know what this is telling me. . Yesterday I noticed the voltage guage would just go up to 8 and stay there. I put a new battery in in June and check the voltage today and it is fully charged. Today I started the engine and then disconnected the battery to see if the alternator was putting out enough to run the engine. It kept running. so I figure the alternator is good. Any advise ???? Thanks.. Fred z

Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Ground out the oil pressure sending unit wire to test the wiring and gauge. It should peg at the high end of the scale. If it does not then there is an issue with the wiring or (most likely) the gauge.

The red battery light indicates that you are not charging the battery. You do not check charging system voltage by disconnecting the battery while it is running. Instead, you put the meter leads on the battery with everything connected to see what voltage you have. You should have around 14 volts.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:13 PM
LSCRX
Tuned
When I swapped a tach cluster in, my voltage gauge was reading low... turned out it was just sticky. If I went over a railroad crossing or speed bump it would jump to normal, I could simulate that by smacking the top of the dash.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:51 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Never disconnect the battery while it is running!!!
This can send a voltage spike to over 100 volts.
These newer trucks (OBS) have electronic devices can be messed up.
Your lucky if did not mess up the PCM, radio and other sensors.
Only time will tell as now you may have other problems down the road from doing this.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Zahn
................I had installed these new LED bulbs in the cluster so I am wondering if that could be part of the issue ??? When I put the LED bulbs in all the sockets I noticed that there is a Red battery light on the bottom of the cluster that just stays on all the time. Don't know what this is telling me. . Yesterday I noticed the voltage guage would just go up to 8 and stay there. I put a new battery in in June and check the voltage today and it is fully charged. Today I started the engine and then disconnected the battery to see if the alternator was putting out enough to run the engine. It kept running. so I figure the alternator is good. Any advise ???? Thanks.. Fred z
You must put back in the incandescent lamp for the charge indicator or you will not have the alternator charging!! On most clusters there is also a 560ohm(??) resistor across that lamp to allow the charging ckt to work if ever that lamp burns out. That usually is part of the lamp socket.

Get a real meter and check at the battery with engine running. These gauges are mostly fancy idiot lights and are not accurate .

Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Not to criticize but because I was curious. I looked up your other post which was over 5 years ago and involved overheating (solved by adding water) and both the ABS and red brake lights illuminated. To me, overheating solved by adding water indicates the system was low and you don’t check fluid levels. Both brake warning lights on is usually due to the brake fluid level being low in the master cylinder either because of a leak or the friction material wears over time and the fluid level will drop. I am guessing that a caliper was dragging causing your issue but since you never came back and said what it was I can only guess.

It appears that you do not do routine maintenance or take it somewhere to have these items checked if you cannot do it yourself. Saying that you replaced the sending unit several times (that should be a clue that it wasn’t the problem) so there is nothing you can do doesn’t make any sense to me. Check the wiring or the gauge and then if the gauge is bad, go to a junkyard and get one or find one online and replace it.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Fred Zahn
New User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Not to criticize but because I was curious. I looked up your other post which was over 5 years ago and involved overheating (solved by adding water) and both the ABS and red brake lights illuminated. To me, overheating solved by adding water indicates the system was low and you don’t check fluid levels. Both brake warning lights on is usually due to the brake fluid level being low in the master cylinder either because of a leak or the friction material wears over time and the fluid level will drop. I am guessing that a caliper was dragging causing your issue but since you never came back and said what it was I can only guess.

It appears that you do not do routine maintenance or take it somewhere to have these items checked if you cannot do it yourself. Saying that you replaced the sending unit several times (that should be a clue that it wasn’t the problem) so there is nothing you can do doesn’t make any sense to me. Check the wiring or the gauge and then if the gauge is bad, go to a junkyard and get one or find one online and replace it.
Thanks 4Trrucks,, Thanks for being the first to reply to my post and giving me some good advise. Strolling down memory lane looking at one of my old posts. I guess I didn't update my post since nobody commented on it and I have had many coolant and braking issues with this truck since I purchased it in 2002. The overheating issue in 2013 turned out to be a freeze plug. After taking the truck to two different mechanic for the replacement of the freeze plugs neither one was able to replace the ones behind the motor mounts and didn't want to pay the thousands of dollars they wanted to remove the engine to get to them. I just kept bottles of Bars Leak handy. Then when the transmission had to be rebuilt I realized that they should be able to jack the engine up enough to remove those motor mounts and get to those freeze plugs. What am I going to do with those bottles of Bars Leak now?
The ABS light turned out to be the ABS modulator valve. My F350 is a heavy truck and when I breaks down my AAA membership won't tow it so I have to pay a private tow company,$$$,, so I do check under the hood quite a bit. The first two oil sending units didn't look exactly like the one to took out and I thought the first one could have just malfunctioned. and the third one from a different parts store did look like the original one yet still the gauge didn't move. Just a logical process of elimination. So now I know how to check the oil gauge and wiring. thanks.
As for the alternator check method... Decades ago a heard this was how to see if the engine was running off the battery alone. I did make sure I turned the engine off before reconnecting the terminals. Thus avoiding a voltage spike. Thanks again for following up on this post. Fredz

Last edited by Fred Zahn; 10-22-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: wrong date