Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Just picked up a new 2018 Edge Sport for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just picked up a new 2018 Edge Sport for the wife

It's a fully loaded 'burgundy velvet' Sport. Managed to get it under invoice with an 8 year/100K extended warranty (we intend to keep it for 10-15 years). I have to admit, as a SuperDuty guy I'm really impressed with this little Edge. It's zippy as heck and looks nice too. One thing I'm unclear on is if the "2.7L V6 Ecoboost" is actually twin turbo or not.

Anybody know for sure or know how to tell? The window sticker doesn't clarify.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
My wife just traded her 2016 Escape Titanium AWD, for a 2018 Edge SEL 2.0 Eco Ruby Red. The Escape had the same engine but didn't drive as well and didn't acclerate as quick as this Edge does. It's much quieter and has a much better ride, has better mpg as well. I would take this car on a road trip, the Escape while fun around town sucked on the highway due to the road noise.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Yeah, the Edge is extremely comfortable to drive and ride in. We'll definitely be taking it on road trips unless we need the camper. I've never driven an Escape but this Edge in AWD is tight. It sticks to the road and really feels like a race car.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
One thing I'm unclear on is if the "2.7L V6 Ecoboost" is actually twin turbo or not.

Anybody know for sure or know how to tell? The window sticker doesn't clarify.
Long time Ford dealership technician since 2000 here. In answer to your question, YES. To add to it, The 2.7L Ecoboost V6 (along with its 3.0L cousin that is optional in the Lincoln MKZ and Continental) are not only twin turbo engines, but they employ IEM (Integrated Exhaust Manifold) as well, just like the 2.0L/2.3L Ecoboost engines. This means the cylinder heads are cast with the exhaust as one entire assembly, so exhaust gases exit the cylinders through the head casting directly into the turbocharger without a conventional exhaust manifold in between.

The picture of the left cylinder head above, explains this setup best. The port illustrated on the right side of the above, is where the exhaust exits, and where the turbocharger for that bank of cylinders is bolted up to.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Long time Ford dealership technician since 2000 here. In answer to your question, YES. To add to it, The 2.7L Ecoboost V6 (along with its 3.0L cousin that is optional in the Lincoln MKZ and Continental) are not only twin turbo engines, but they employ IEM (Integrated Exhaust Manifold) as well, just like the 2.0L/2.3L Ecoboost engines. This means the cylinder heads are cast with the exhaust as one entire assembly, so exhaust gases exit the cylinders through the head casting directly into the turbocharger without a conventional exhaust manifold in between.

The picture of the left cylinder head above, explains this setup best. The port illustrated on the right side of the above, is where the exhaust exits, and where the turbocharger for that bank of cylinders is bolted up to.
Awesome! Thanks for the great info - reps given. I started wrenching as a hobby in 1988. It amazes me how far the technology in our vehicles has come since then. I could've gotten into lots of trouble and lost my license if I'd had this Edge Sport back then.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Awesome! Thanks for the great info - reps given. I started wrenching as a hobby in 1988. It amazes me how far the technology in our vehicles has come since then. I could've gotten into lots of trouble and lost my license if I'd had this Edge Sport back then.
Oh I bet it's pretty peppy. I can't say I've driven one yet personally, but I have driven a Fusion Sport (equipped with the same engine) and I agree. It's absolutely fascinating how much power output the manufacturers have been able to squeeze out of such little displacement. Everything is about low emissions, lighter weight and high fuel economy. My question is how well the vehicles these days will hold up for the long term (seven to ten years later after warranties have long expired, and likely into the hands of second owners of a different class who will most unlikely be bringing them into dealerships for out-of-pocket repairs and maintenance). The way parts for vehicles seems to go obsolete so quickly, almost seems to make vehicles a throw-away gadget, just like your smartphone that is three years old (and the newest, latest and greatest are out) or other electronic gadget.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
You're right - it'll be interesting to see how long these hold up. "The star that burns twice as bright, burns half as long", as they say.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a 2015 Ford Edge sport, ok it is the wife hot rod. Let me tell you it moves when you put your foot into it and you might want to hold on to the steering wheel. It's ruby red in color too, I love how it performs to, great suv crossover.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:35 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 MKX with the 2.7 on New year's Eve. If anybody is looking to get an edge or MKX with the 2.7, make sure it has AWD. That's just too much power for the front wheels alone. I haven't felt torque steer like this in a long time. It is holding me over until the new Bronco comes out.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I just picked up a 2017 MKX with the 2.7 on New year's Eve. If anybody is looking to get an edge or MKX with the 2.7, make sure it has AWD. That's just too much power for the front wheels alone. I haven't felt torque steer like this in a long time. It is holding me over until the new Bronco comes out.
We were actually looking at a very nice 2017 MKX our dealer had on the lot as CPO. It sold or they moved it before we were ready to make an offer. All told, we're happy with the Edge Sport. And yes, absolutely agreed on needing the AWD. The Sport comes with it and all the other bells and whistles, too. The MKX had a couple extra features but we're still happy.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my search for a vehicle I didn't see many low mileage lincolns hanging out on the lots. This MKX didn't even spend 15 days on the dealers lot before I bought it. I too was either going to like and buy this MKX or get a new edge of some sort, probably an ST or sport. Lincoln's warranty helped the decision also as mine is a June of 2017 build so it still has 2.5 years or 42K Miles of bumper to bumper left.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Sounds like you made a great find and purchase! Congrats.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
We test drove a 2018 Edge Sport today as the Mrs is looking to upgrade her 2017 Escape Titanium. It was decent but looks like we will be ordering a 2018 Edge ST later this week instead )))) More power, more aggressive exterior styling, a few more "extras", better handling and some cool ST emblems and stitching! lol

Old 03-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Nice! You'll enjoy that ,for sure!

Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, we found one on a lot an hour away. Drove out to see it and it didn't have the 21" black wheels like the ad shows. They said we have one showing up 2 days exactly like you want so we put a deposit down and will be rolling in a couple of days! These things scoot pretty good. I was surprised with the video of the Fiesta ST, Focus ST and Edge ST in a race....

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/26/...rag-race-video

Quick Reply: Just picked up a new 2018 Edge Sport for the wife