Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Auto stop-start

Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 AM
daily double
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto stop-start

Has anyone actually disabled this? If so how?

Old 10-17-2018, 03:23 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After one year I finally disabled it. Been written up here many times.

Go to you tube and look it up. One guy is real good and I followed what he did even soldering the wire ends. Another shows 2 guys and they do the same thing but a more back woodsy in the talking. I had the metric tool to remove the 2 screws and the plastic wedge style tools so it was very ez for me. Just take your time and be careful, took about 10-15 minutes max.

There is a way electronically but I found the "mechanical" way for me easier. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:00 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
You can disable it all through Forscan and remove all the dash screens also Nd disable the BMS while you are there.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As was stated above, there are several ways to permanently disable "Auto Start-Stop". I used the Forscan tool and had it set that way for about 1 year. But doing it via Forscan, is accomplished by disabling the BMS (Battery Management System). The battery charging pattern is really different with BMS disable then when it is enabled. Would it cause problems in the future, your guess is as good as mine, but as one owner that actually works with battery environment, stated that conventional charging of a AGM battery, is not good and could lead to early battery failure. The reason that was stated was because all Ford F150 come standard with AGM batteries and why Ford developed BMS. I re-enabled Auto Start-Stop recently and have been using a new method not yet discussed here. You can read about it here: Aftermarket Automotive Solutions

Its a little black box that simulates the pressing of the *** switch on the dash and also removes all references to *** from the display screen and doesn't turn off BMS. Its been installed for a couple months on my truck, has been working like somebody always remembers to press the switch when you start the truck up. I'm quite happy with it.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
After one year I finally disabled it. Been written up here many times.

Go to you tube and look it up. One guy is real good and I followed what he did even soldering the wire ends. Another shows 2 guys and they do the same thing but a more back woodsy in the talking. I had the metric tool to remove the 2 screws and the plastic wedge style tools so it was very ez for me. Just take your time and be careful, took about 10-15 minutes max.

There is a way electronically but I found the "mechanical" way for me easier. Good luck.
By any chance have you checked to see if there were any non-wrench error codes being set due to using the Jumper method. I was going to test it before I installed the *** box I discussed above, but didn't have a chance. Somebody had stated that as of 2018, the system will throw non-wrench codes. Just looking for comfirmation.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Whdevl
New User
Auto Start/Stop Disabling

Easiest way that I’ve found was going to 4dtech.com & purchasing their auto start/stop disabler for $100. Plugs into OBDII port and can be easily reversed if you need to take truck to dealer.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:19 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Originally Posted by Whdevl
Easiest way that I’ve found was going to 4dtech.com & purchasing their auto start/stop disabler for $100. Plugs into OBDII port and can be easily reversed if you need to take truck to dealer.
Well it was $150 when I looked before. Does that also get rid of all of the Start/Stop display icons ?

Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Put a 5star tune on it. Disable auto start stop, get more power and better shifting.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Just a heads up but BMS debuted in 2011 and is not new to trucks that come with AGM batteries. If you compare the BMS enabled vs. Disabled the only difference I can see is upon deceleration. The BMS is set to load the alternator during downshifting and you can see a upswing of charging during it.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
May I ask, what is your experience with the *** black box, all positive?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Originally Posted by oldakerw
May I ask, what is your experience with the *** black box, all positive?
So far so good. Its been in about a month. Took the truck into the dealer last week for the Carpet recall and to have the 10spd PCM update completed. The dealer drove it for 14 miles and they never noticed there was no start stop ! At least they didn't say anything to me.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:26 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Thank you so much, I ordered mine Saturday, and I just learned itis back ordered awaiting manufacture. I have the camera button on my truck, so the start/stop button is by itself to the right.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:22 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Mine disables itself from Fall to spring LOL. It always say "off due to vehicle charging" no matter how long i drive.

There are a bunch of ways to disable it, 5 minutes in the search and you will find all of them. Trailer test plug, tuner, modding the switch, forscan and more.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM
oldakerw
Mountain Pass
Thank you so much.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:34 AM
siny10309
New User
FREE fix

i know this is an old thread but i disabled the auto stop for FREE and thought i'd share.

what i did was take a bubble gum wrapper and folded it real small, then i pushed in the button to disable the auto stop/start, and wedged the wrapper in. This basically keeps the button pushed down permanently. i have had this in for months with no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto stop-start