1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F350 flatbed DRW to SRW 250 or 350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM
edcguy5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 F350 flatbed DRW to SRW 250 or 350?

Afternoon Gents,

Im new here and after lurking a bit I figured Id throw my question out there and get everyone's perspective.

I'm a fencing contractor here in Wyoming, a full-time student, a hunter, adventurer and Ill be commisioning in the Marine Corps here in 6-7 months. Im not much of a truck guy, but I like to have the necessary power for pulling and avoiding getting stuck.

I currently drive a 2012 F350 DRW with a ranchhand bumper, Bradford flatbed, dpf delete and around 160k miles on it. Bought it off my dad at his instances and for a great price, told him that if I was gonna spend that much on a truck Id get something different...

Its a great truck in most regards, however, the main issue I have is the dual rear wheel. As its first and foremostly a fencing truck Im both towing heavy loads, 20k+ with dual tandem flatbed, and going hard to get places. Obviously, the dually doesn't do too well off-road. Ive dealt with it for the last two years but Im getting tired of getting stuck.

Im currently kicking around selling it and replacing it with a 250 or 350 srw. While Im at it Id also like to get one with a bench seat in place of the Lariat trim and center console.

The trucks Im looking at right now are 2013-2015, f350s and 250s, all xlt trim and long box with miles ranging from 50-150k and listed for anywhere from 19k to 29k.

My questions are as follows.

Can I/do I want to get away with saving some money and getting a 250? Keep in mind that within a year this truck won't be doing much work as Ill be commissioned in the Corps.

Should I do a dpf delete again? Never dealt with a truck that took dpf... What kinda cost am I looking at, what's the best route to go, what kind of performance increases can I expect to see?

Has anyone ever ran a winch mounted in the hitch of the ranch hand bumper? My current ranchhand has a winch bracket but I think Id like to have the ability to move it between the front and rear. Usually, when Im stuck I want to go backward, not forward...

Ill be putting a Bradford bed and ranchhand bumper on the new truck for certain, I was also thinking of lifting it a little, nothing crazy but maybe 2-4 inches, these long wheelbase trucks like to get high centered and Id like to alleviate that issue some. What route should I go there and what kinda cost am I looking at there?

Thanks in advance gents

Picture of my current rig.

Last edited by edcguy5; 10-16-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
I have nothing to recommend, as I’m not really a truck expert, but I am sure you’ll get some great input from fellow members.

I just wanted to wish you well. My father was a Marine in the 1960s. With what you’re doing with your life, right now and in the next 12+ months, your future is very bright.

Thumbs up to you.

— Dave

Old 10-16-2018, 08:15 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Super Duty is a heavy truck in any form. The 350 dually you have now is heavier than a SRW, albeit, not by much considering what configuration you get. If you are doing serious enough offroading that you are getting stuck quite often, then I would think long and hard about whether a SRW super duty will actually be any better offroad than your truck. The SRW will have the same 4x4 components as your DRW, just not the same weight. If you are just having trouble squeezing into places, then yes a SRW would benefit you, but if you are trying to rock crawl/do some serious mud, then the super duty might not be your ideal vehicle.

From the picture you posted, I would stick with the truck you have. The DRW will give you more stability for hauling heavy loads like what you have pictured. If you are hauling like that everyday, then I would stick with the truck you have. Maybe mount a winch, maybe even do some lockers or something, who knows. There are plenty of ways to make that truck better offroad. Considering you said you are going into the marines in 6-7 months. I think I would just stick it out with the current truck. It's already proved it's worth, and you know the history behind it (with it being you dads truck). Buy a new to you used truck, and you will know nothing about its past life other than the minimal information you can gather from a carfax.

Oh, I forgot to ask. Is the F350 truck you have pictured 4x4? I assumed it was, but if not, then yes any other Super Duty that is 4x4 would be better than it is offroad.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM
edcguy5
New User
Its not the weight of the truck which gets be stuck as much as it is the dual rear wheel. If youve done much off road with duals you'll realize you have a lot less traction, unless the truck is loaded heavy enough. I can always set a square bale on (1500lbs) and suddenly I can go anywhere in the snow. Im usually getting stuck in snow or mud, snow being the main concern, and a single wheel truck simply does a whole lot better. Not to mention running around ranches on two tracks...

It so far as hauling goes, I would say I spend 10 days off road for every 1 day haul. I'm usually on site for at least a weak and regularly 3 months.

and yeah, shes a 4x4, I didn't know they made 2wd trucks till I was twenty... still think its a silly thing to do...

Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
For the weight your hauling (20k) your gonna need that dually. I dont see a picture posted but I'd start with some good mud terrain tires and adding some type of traction aid to the axles. Detroit locker, Detroit trutrac, arb air locker, so.ething along them lines. And since you have a wi ch ready bunker ADD ONE for the type of terrain your on it will be worth its weight in gold the first time you use it

Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Maybe its just me, but most of the Super Duty DRW i've seen/driven seem just as capable off road as my SRW is, except the fact they are wider of course. All the Super Duty trucks i've had have been SRW, so I don't have extensive experience, just going off a handful of experiences.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:27 PM
ronf38
Junior User
Tires, tires, tires...i have a dual wheel trucks in the oil fields....tires make it or break it...20 k lbs will not be acceptable weight for single tires. And locking rear end...if you dont have posi....or it is worn out...fix it or add locker

Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 PM
ronf38
Junior User
My f450 with hdr tires sucked....now i have 509 threads and it is way better

Old 10-16-2018, 09:56 PM
'01V10
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Agreed. Tires and LSD or locker. That's a damn nice rig you've got. If you're looking to do better in the muddy fields tires and a locker are going to do far more for you than going SRW. If you legitimately want to do better in a muddy field and aren't just coming up with a reason to "need" a different/new truck... Tires and a LSD or better yet a locker is where you're going to see noticeable gains.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 AM
ronf38
Junior User
I can understand "need" lol

Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Tires and a locker........

my opinion

a 4x4 without a locker is a 2 wheel drive .. only because an open differential is one wheel drive.. one front and one rear..

a good aftermarket limited slip differential front and rear is GREAT.. then all wheels PULL..

Old 10-17-2018, 07:57 PM
edcguy5
New User
Alright gentlemen, you’re talking me into it. I have a solid off road tire on right now, but the lockers have me intrigued. What exactly would you recommend?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on running a reciver hitch mounted winch?

Lastly, I was going through a ditch the other day and tore my nerf bar up, thoughts on the best way to get a bit more clearance?

A family photo that was our Christmas card.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:03 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I don't know much about the hitch mounted winches, but I would think a frame mounted one would be better than one on a hitch. Then again, people pull incredibly heavy loads with a hitch, so I may be wrong. You've got a ranch hand with a place for a winch. Why not put it there? It will make the truck look tougher too. Get you a warn 16.5lb winch and mount it to that bumper and call it a day.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM
'01V10
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Being in Wyoming I assume you drive on a lot of icy roads. I'd shy away from a front locker. They CAN be made to work with careful driving, but I'd start with the rear. A 2" lift would give you a little more clearance without taking away from the functionality of your rig and of course, taking off the nerf bars will increase your ground clearance quite a bit and not cost anything. I generally don't like steps, but my girlfriend is short and I'd rather leave mine on than have her and the kid sliding in and out and tearing up my seats. I have the plastic, shelf type ones and I don't think they hang down as low.
edit: I hear good things about the detroit truetrack, however I have not used one personally

Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Someone else will have to chime in on this, but I think the dually's can be lifted just as easily as the SRW trucks. I wouldn't go crazy with a lift, but like 01V10 said, 2" will give you more clearance. I do know, that if you go with taller tires after the lift, the rear dually wheels are not wide enough to run like a 12.50 tire which is a popular width for a 35 or 37. I think it can be done with spacers, but the rim itself is not rated for that wide of tire especially if you are towing heavy.

Quick Reply: 2012 F350 flatbed DRW to SRW 250 or 350?