Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 with new motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 with new motor issues

Hey folks,

purchased a 91 f150 lariet with no motor awhile back. Later, found an 85 block, had it completely rebuilt, .040 overbore, new pistons, bearings, etc. two weeks ago dropped the motor in and it started up! Woohoo! First time putting an engine in a truck. Ran like crap, but had enough fuel/air to idle. Seemed to have a vacuum leak of sorts that lead to a wavy idle. Two days ago, started up the truck to move from driveway to garage and it would barely move. Super rough idle, felt like it wouldn’t go into gear. Now it won’t stay running at all. Starts right up, idles high for 30 seconds and dies. Attached is a list of things I’ve attempted, as well as some odd ball parts as this is a bit of a craigslist special on the engine build.

85 block, rebuilt
double roller tuning chain
comp cam 31-255-5
top end from a 94 f150 - intake manifold, throttle body, coil, egr, tab, tag(?)
new ngq plugs, ford wires
new o2 sensor
new throttle position sensor

when I say it was running, it was running well enough to do a few laps around the block. No highway cruising.

Is is there some sort of issue with the 94 top end being plugged into the 91 wiring harness?

Also, i did the paperclip test the night before it stopped running and was able to pull a code 41 for running lean.

Will rent ob1 scanner tomorrow and report any findings.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:35 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the motor you dropped in the same size as what was in it? If not the PCM is gonna give ya fits and if the engine is, and it has a lot of variance from factory specs (cam,etc) then the PCM will constantly try to adjust within it's parameters . What you have done so far is change a LOT of things so I really do not know where to start.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:09 AM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Originally Posted by ZombieF150
Is the motor you dropped in the same size as what was in it? If not the PCM is gonna give ya fits and if the engine is, and it has a lot of variance from factory specs (cam,etc) then the PCM will constantly try to adjust within it's parameters . What you have done so far is change a LOT of things so I really do not know where to start.
yessir. Same size motor. Believe me, If I could do it over, I’d junkyard dive a top end off the same year truck so everything matches. As for the cam, everything I read on this site and other said it was the best you could do within the peramiters of the Speed density. I forgot to mention that I also removed the smog pump and shortened the belt, along with all new alternator, power steering, water pump, etc. I also modified the upper plenum to hold the air sensor that would normally go inside the air box on a 94 truck.

I guess my my real question is, does the pcm wildly differ year to year when it comes to sensors for the truck?

Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 AM
ZombieF150
Elder User
ahhhhh.. I think I see the problem, or at least part of it. You have a MAF intake when you need Map. The 91 I believe uses a MAP sensor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...d-density.html

Old 10-14-2018, 08:39 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
We need more info. When you say no motor, what was originally in it?

Where did you source the ignition and fuel injection components?

Was there an engine harness in your truck? Never swapped computers?

You likely have more than one issue here that is causing your problems. Then there are the normal kinks that need to be ironed out after an engine swap or rebuild like timing, or timing, and timing.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
We need more info. When you say no motor, what was originally in it?

Where did you source the ignition and fuel injection components?

Was there an engine harness in your truck? Never swapped computers?

You likely have more than one issue here that is causing your problems. Then there are the normal kinks that need to be ironed out after an engine swap or rebuild like timing, or timing, and timing.
truck originally had a 5.0. A 5.0 was put back in. The ignition components/wiring harness were already there. However, the fuel rail, regulator, injectors, came from the 94. Long story short, thought I was going to go carbureted with the motor I built, found the 91 super cheap, bought the top end off a 94 from a guy who was going carbed in an older truck.

if it helps, the truck remains set up with a sd system, map sensor, etc.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
ahhhhh.. I think I see the problem, or at least part of it. You have a MAF intake when you need Map. The 91 I believe uses a MAP sensor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...d-density.html
are they wildly different? I have the original that came with the truck and it looks exactly the same except for the port in the bottom manifold for the air intake sensor. Truck is still using map sensor and running speed density system.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10
I have the original that came with the truck and it looks exactly the same except for the port in the bottom manifold for the air intake sensor.
There is no such thing as a MAF or MAP specific intake for these trucks, they are functionally the same except for minor differences like the air temp sensor location so this isn't your proiblem.
What fuel pressure do you have?
Do you still have the plugs wired for the old 15426378 firing order? You should.
Does the truck have a full exhaust system on it?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
There is no such thing as a MAF or MAP specific intake for these trucks, they are functionally the same except for minor differences like the air temp sensor location so this isn't your proiblem.
Do you still have the plugs wired for the old 15426378 firing order? You should.
yes, wired in 15426378
currently working on fuel pressure as I think that’s my issue. Will run for a min with starting fluid I’ve just found out.
The exahaust has been converted to some sort of duel set up. However it splits after the cat.

Im not exactly sure how to check fuel pressure without the truck running.

One of my rookie mistakes was running old gas at the very start before adding fresh fuel. Well, I say old gas, I have no idea how long the truck sat for. I’m leaning more and more towards a clogged fuel filter or sorts.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Clogged filter is a good possibility too. There is a sharder valve on the drives side fuel rail where a gauge can be attached, if you ground the Fuel Pump test pin on the EEC Test connector and turn the key to run the pump will run continuously.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Wouldn't it make a difference to the PCM
)edit) just saw where he kept the MAP system. My bad,carry on.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Wouldn't it make a difference to the PCM though? .
No, the PCM is programmed for a specific engine displacement and has no idea what intake is on the motor so as long as all the usual sensors and actuators are present it will work.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:56 PM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Furthermore, a computer for another speed density engine would not keep it from running and idling, and even driving. The wrong computer for a different management archetype will cause issues though, i.e. mass air vs speed density, black vs grey ignition module, etc.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Clogged filter is a good possibility too. There is a sharder valve on the drives side fuel rail where a gauge can be attached, if you ground the Fuel Pump test pin on the EEC Test connector and turn the key to run the pump will run continuously.
less than 10 psi at the rail. The fuel pump is running and new filter. Fuel regulator is bad??

Old 10-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10
less than 10 psi at the rail. The fuel pump is running and new filter. Fuel regulator is bad??
The most likely cause is a failing pump.. especially if the truck has been sitting for some time, it's possible but I have never seen a regulator fail with low pressure they usually either leak into the vacuum line or cause extremely high pressure.

Quick Reply: 91 with new motor issues