Sponsored by:

Off-road trip Badlands Attica IN

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:42 PM
VitaminC
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Off-road trip Badlands Attica IN

Tomorrow my friend and I are heading to The Badlands in In to check out the off road scene there. I am driving my 76 highboy. My friend is driving his built ‘12 Fourunner. Pictures to follow

Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 PM
VitaminC
Tuned
Trip Report

Took me a while to get around to it but here it is.
Sorry I don't have better pictures...I got too wrapped up in wheeling that I forgot to take more.
I was driving my 76 Highboy - FE 390, Stock suspension, 35" General Grabber X3s, open diffs
My buddy was driving his '12 4runner - 2" lift, rear E-locker, 33" General Grabber ATs

Badlands ORV Park Review: Good! It was a lot of fun. There were some really nasty trails and some easy trails, you can wheel a full size truck there but you are limited in what you can do. There is large open area "sand pit/dune" for you just to tear *** around, and a separate area called the "Quary" with trails for trucks and rock climbing. You can really get into trouble there if you don't know what you are doing...I would suggest getting a map before you head out because there is no cell phone service in the park.

Truck review: Awesome, way better than expected. Previously I have wheeled my 88 Bronco 302, 6" lift, rear locker, 35" BFG ATs. That truck was only ever ok in my opinion...my current truck is way better off road. The low end torque of the 390 and the Grabber X3s is an awesome combo, it is really easy to maintain grip at low controllable rpms. My friend really struggled through deep sandy stuff with his regular ATs...and I am sure I would have too if I had similar tires. I was really thinking about locking the rear of my truck, but my grip is so good as it is that I am not sure I really need it. Having true off road tires makes a huge difference in my opinion.

The one negative I will mention was that my truck stalled out a lot on really bumpy sections and steep terrain. A LOT! If anyone has some suggestions on how to set up a Holley 4160 for off road I would love to hear them. I am really considering going fuel injection after this trip...please convince me not to.

Pics!

At the park entrance

This was a really steep climb...pictures don't do it justice.

Good side by side comparison: Old vs New School

Entrance to the Truck and SUV park

This was a LOT steeper in real lift...

at least a 25° grade

0 Body damage!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Nice pics.. Interesting about the stalling. I know from reading the Jeep crowd forums and extreme off-roaders, they really like the Motorcraft 2100 as it will run in virtually any position. Not quite EFI but pretty close. MC 2100 was likely what your truck shipped with. Was it stalling due to flooding, or?? Make sure the float height/wet fuel height is in spec, maybe drop it slightly.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:13 AM
VitaminC
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Nice pics.. Interesting about the stalling. I know from reading the Jeep crowd forums and extreme off-roaders, they really like the Motorcraft 2100 as it will run in virtually any position. Not quite EFI but pretty close. MC 2100 was likely what your truck shipped with. Was it stalling due to flooding, or?? Make sure the float height/wet fuel height is in spec, maybe drop it slightly.
My truck had a Motorcraft 2150 on it when I got it. But I sold it some years back.

I don’t know if it was flooding out or starving for fuel...
It would stall whenever I would drive over a really bumpy section and the truck would be bounced around suddenly.
Also I noticed that if I quickly reved the engine and then suddenly drop the throttle it would stall as well.

I thought my floats were correct but it’s worth another look.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
The 2100/2150 had primary and secondary float springs to help absorb fuel pump pressure pulses as well as keep the float/fuel level steady on rough terrain. I'm sure Holley would have some experience in combatting that, maybe not springs on the float, though somethin'. Let us know what you find..

Old 10-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I had a Holley 4150 or 4160 (I forget which, but they're very similar) on my CJ5 (that I sold in 2006). At first I had a ton of trouble keeping it running in bumpy driving, but eventually got it pretty good.

In my case the problem was fuel sloshing down the throat and flooding it. It was pretty easy to diagnose it as flooding because I had to hold my foot to the floor to get it started.

The first thing I did to fix it was to drop the float levels. It was right before, and ran like crap on the highway with the lower levels, but it did work a lot better off-road. I'd end up dropping the levels at the start of a trail and raising them back up at the end. A hassle, but it was effective.

Later I got baffles for the bowl vents. These were perforated metal "screens" that were installed inside the float bowl. I think that was the only mod I made, and it let me run with normal float levels without much trouble, or else I could drop them slightly for no trouble crawling and only poor performance on roaf (rather than terrible with the levels I had to run without the baffles). The baffles were Holley parts, I didn't fabricate anything.

I think there are also damped floats for the Holley carbs. I don't think I added them though (it was quite a while ago, I don't recall exactly what I did).

I also heard it would be helpful to have taller vent tubes. Mine were cut off at an angle with the lower edge of the angle about even with the top of the carb. It might help to get another inch or so for the fuel to slosh up before it was coming out. I never did that though.

Another trick is to run a hose from one vent tube to the other. You need to cut some breather holes in it to let the vents still function. But usually in a bad slosh the fuel is getting thrown in one direction, so as it goes up that vent tube it can go across the hose and back down the other vent tube. I think the Holley Truck Avenger carb actually came like that.

Now I have an Autolite 2100 in my Bronco and I've never had any trouble with it, so I'll second the opinion that the stock Ford 2 bbl carb is a better rock crawling carb stock than a Holley 4150/4160. But the Holley can be made good too.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Here's a link to the Jegs site that has several products for addressing this in Holley carbs. The vent baffle I used are Holley 26-39, about the 5th item down the list.
https://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley...43692/10002/-1

Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 PM
VitaminC
Tuned
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Here's a link to the Jegs site that has several products for addressing this in Holley carbs. The vent baffle I used are Holley 26-39, about the 5th item down the list.
https://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley...43692/10002/-1
Thanks so much for the help. I am going to start with a new fuel filter and quadruple check the float level...ill let you guys know how it goes

Old 11-20-2018, 02:13 AM
gregsm17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressive modification and off-road driving. I kinda enjoy looking at those photos in hope of using it as a reference. I'm planning to do my own off-road modification as well and I find the insights here very useful. Right now I only have my set of foose
wheels and 2 all-weather tires from Toyo.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:25 PM
VitaminC
Tuned
Originally Posted by gregsm17
Impressive modification and off-road driving. I kinda enjoy looking at those photos in hope of using it as a reference. I'm planning to do my own off-road modification as well and I find the insights here very useful. Right now I only have my set of foose
wheels and 2 all-weather tires from Toyo.
In my experience good off-road tires are the best mod you can do for your rig. So you’re on the right path.

My truck is relatively stock minus some typical engine mods. It’s a solid off-roader out of the box and the Grabber X3s make it that much more capable.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 PM
VitaminC
Tuned
So when I swapped in my new fuel filter I noticed that my old one was installed backwards. Doh! Trucks seems to run better now but I’m going to try and make a off road vent tube to test out in the future.