6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel light came on.... made it 3 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 PM
89bluenotch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel light came on.... made it 3 miles

2013 6.7 (first diesel 🤦🏼*♂️)

Like the title says... I was rocking out and not watching the fuel gauge. Pulled into my driveway and low fuel light came on. The next morning head to the station to fuel up and the digital gauge says 43 miles to E, Made it 3 miles. After putting 10 gallons in it I cycled the key probably a dozen times for 30 seconds and could not get the truck started and the batteries died. 4 hours late to work I got it towed to the shop.

mechanic calls me today and says that all the air was bled and batteries charged and he still can't get it started. Truck needs 5,000 or 500? pounds of pressure to start and he says I'm only getting 200. Before he takes the intake off to get to the fuel pump and do whatever else he has to do... I asked him to put more fuel in it. Am I wrong to think that 10 Gallons might not be enough to generate fuel pressure?

Thanks for for any responses. Hopefully it's an easy fix but if not I have a extended warranty and I am over stressing about vehicle issues. 👍🏻

Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
have him check the fuel cutoff switch. 5K on the fuel pressure.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please keep us posted. I drive my '13 until low fuel light comes on in order to make sure I'm reasonably close to putting the correct amount of fuel additive in. Wondering if Ford tells you "never let it go below ..."

Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM
89bluenotch
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
have him check the fuel cutoff switch. 5K on the fuel pressure.
Are you talking about the inertia switch on the passenger side dash panel? I checked that before the truck got towed off and seemed to be functioning properly.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Have you made a modifications to your truck? different fuel tank, etc? MTE is pretty accurate, so it doesnt sound like you ran out of fuel. Do you use any fuel addititves? Could be possible that a cardboard from the cap went down your tank, but usually when that happens, the truck will restart once shutoff because the cardboard drops away when the secondary fuel pump shuts off. Have you changed your fuel filters (both) yet? If not, might be a good idea. Was there any water in the filter bowl? What exactly happened after 3 miles? Did you get any check engine lights, or other messages on the productivity screen? If your mechanic already did a fuel pressure test and gave you those results, then it sounds to me like your HPFP could be toast?. Did you recently add DEF?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM
89bluenotch
Junior User
No mods to the truck and I don't run any fuel additives. I have not changed fuel filters yet I've only had the truck for going on 4 months. I just recently changed the oil and air filter and added def fluid last week (in the correct tank)

After the 3 miles on the screen it said low fuel pressure and It immediately lost power and the truck shutoff. Not sure if I smoked the HPFP by cranking? I assume they run on the lubrication from the fuel?

Got the truck with 112,000 miles and it has almost 118,00 now. Got all my warranty stuff together so the mechanic should be doing some further inspections soon. Thanks for the replys

Originally Posted by djousma
Have you made a modifications to your truck? different fuel tank, etc? MTE is pretty accurate, so it doesnt sound like you ran out of fuel. Do you use any fuel addititves? Could be possible that a cardboard from the cap went down your tank, but usually when that happens, the truck will restart once shutoff because the cardboard drops away when the secondary fuel pump shuts off. Have you changed your fuel filters (both) yet? If not, might be a good idea. Was there any water in the filter bowl? What exactly happened after 3 miles? Did you get any check engine lights, or other messages on the productivity screen? If your mechanic already did a fuel pressure test and gave you those results, then it sounds to me like your HPFP could be toast?. Did you recently add DEF?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:55 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by 89bluenotch
No mods to the truck and I don't run any fuel additives. I have not changed fuel filters yet I've only had the truck for going on 4 months. I just recently changed the oil and air filter and added def fluid last week (in the correct tank)

After the 3 miles on the screen it said low fuel pressure and It immediately lost power and the truck shutoff. Not sure if I smoked the HPFP by cranking? I assume they run on the lubrication from the fuel?

Got the truck with 112,000 miles and it has almost 118,00 now. Got all my warranty stuff together so the mechanic should be doing some further inspections soon. Thanks for the replys

Cranking wouldnt smoke the HPFP. But when you got the low fuel pressure message, thats a good indication that it got smoked, along with your mechanics testing of the fuel pressure while cranking. If it was something as simple as filters, it would have restarted i would think. I would drop the filters and check them though, or at least pull the frame filter to see if you have metal shavings in there. What warranty do you have? If Ford extended warranty, they will be testing the fuel system components for rust or other contaminates before they will cover it. These types of issues are mostly caused by DEF in the fuel tank, or some other foreign substance, like GAS.

Hopefully whomever had the truck before you didnt commit one if these mistakes, and unloaded it before it grenaded. If it is HPFP, thats a pretty expensive fix as the entire fuel system has to be replaced, pump, lines, injectors, etc as the hpfp sends metal shavings through the entire system.

Let us know what he finds. And sorry this is occurring!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
fuel inertia switch is exactly what I was referring too.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 AM
89bluenotch
Junior User
Yeah he aready ball parked a quote of 3k. The warranty isn't through Ford anymore and I can't remember what company it's through off the top of my head but it's a "premium" warranty package. Mechanic is on the horn with the company and hopefully starts the tare down tomorrow or Monday. My father let me use his spare truck a 2014 f150 with the NA v6... Went up to the sierras for the weekend and already missing that diesel torque. Ill keep you updated with any news about the truck. Thanks!

Originally Posted by djousma
Cranking wouldnt smoke the HPFP. But when you got the low fuel pressure message, thats a good indication that it got smoked, along with your mechanics testing of the fuel pressure while cranking. If it was something as simple as filters, it would have restarted i would think. I would drop the filters and check them though, or at least pull the frame filter to see if you have metal shavings in there. What warranty do you have? If Ford extended warranty, they will be testing the fuel system components for rust or other contaminates before they will cover it. These types of issues are mostly caused by DEF in the fuel tank, or some other foreign substance, like GAS.

Hopefully whomever had the truck before you didnt commit one if these mistakes, and unloaded it before it grenaded. If it is HPFP, thats a pretty expensive fix as the entire fuel system has to be replaced, pump, lines, injectors, etc as the hpfp sends metal shavings through the entire system.

Let us know what he finds. And sorry this is occurring!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM
89bluenotch
Junior User
UPDATE: HPFP got smoked which contaminated the fuel system. New fuel pump, injectors, fuel filters, fuel lines. Took the warranty company 2 weeks to come out and take pictures then another week to approve the work! Complete F'N headache. So after about a month I got the truck back and it's running great. Under a quarter tank I'll now be looking for a fuel station....LESSON LEARNED

Old 11-17-2018, 11:51 AM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
Received 134 Likes on 99 Posts
UPDATE: HPFP got smoked which contaminated the fuel system. New fuel pump, injectors, fuel filters, fuel lines. Took the warranty company 2 weeks to come out and take pictures then another week to approve the work! Complete F'N headache. So after about a month I got the truck back and it's running great. Under a quarter tank I'll now be looking for a fuel station....LESSON LEARNED
It might be worth investing in a 50 gallon fuel tank to replace the crappy 26 gal that Ford thought was a good idea for a diesel truck.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I watch the gallons used on Trip A. I reset Trip A each time I fuel the truck. I then have a better idea of the fuel used and how much is left.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I watch the gallons used on Trip A. I reset Trip A each time I fuel the truck. I then have a better idea of the fuel used and how much is left.
I used to do that on my 2015 truck. Problem now is that the '17 and newer no longer track gallons used. Only mileage and hours.

I used to pay attention because my Kroger Fuel discounts shuts off the pump at 35 gallons. So I always want to maximize my discount and buy 35 gallons. If I drive to empty on my 2017 truck, I need 48 gallons and it shuts off at 35 and I have to restart the pump to top off. I miss the Gallons used reading

Old 11-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, tough lesson.
I don't care about saving 5 or 10 bucks,
I start looking for a station at 1/4 tank.
I hate stress

Old 11-17-2018, 04:57 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
My fuel light comes on at 37 miles to empty which is about a 1/4 tank. I frequently see 15-20 to empty before I can fill up, these tanks are just to small for towing. I can't justify $1000 for a larger fuel tank, and I use my bed to haul things so a transfer tank isn't in the cards. I do carry a couple of jerry cans with me on long trips just in case.

Quick Reply: Fuel light came on.... made it 3 miles