1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

84 f150 5.0 lwb driver inner tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 f150 5.0 lwb driver inner tie rod

so, I’ve got new moog tie rod ends, drag link, inner tie rod, and adjustment collars. Whatever the brackets are called that hold the tie rod ends on.
so, I can assemble my new stuff and the inner tie rod isn’t as tight as I’d like in the adjustment bracket. But, I didn’t know if it’d matter since other end slips up onto pitman arm on bottom of steering box. So, is a super tight fit not necessary in that one connection? The others I have torqued pretty damn tight, but this new moog inner tie rod end is slightly smaller than the stock inner tie rod threaded portion. I should be able to tighten it further, but it’s metal to metal on that end of the new Moog adjustment sleeve.
But, is this ok? So, I can rotate the little ball joint end by hand and line it up perfect into pitman arm. Should I be able to, or should that require loosening the bolt to move that. I’ve only done go and kingpin ford stuff before, and haven’t ran into this before. Again, all the other sleeve attachment threads you have to use wrench on adjustment collars to rotate tie rod ends in or out, except this inner one. Is that normal.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Odisvan
so, I’ve got new moog tie rod ends, drag link, inner tie rod, and adjustment collars. Whatever the brackets are called that hold the tie rod ends on.
so, I can assemble my new stuff and the inner tie rod isn’t as tight as I’d like in the adjustment bracket.
What are you calling the adjustment bracket? Is it the same thing as the adjustment sleeve, or tie rod end adjustment sleeve? If yes, then it shouldn't be loose. Unless your truck has steering components that my 1984 does not. All I have are the left and right tie rod adjustment sleeves.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
Sorry, I don’t know the correct terminology. I just went out and checked, new moog inner tie rod threaded area .735 while original and cleaned to make sure, 1984 driver inner tie rod threaded area is .780. That extra slack cannot be taken up by the adjustment sleeve, as the inner portion is now metal to metal. And, I can back it out by hand. The stock one you cannot.
but, do guys ever use a side grinder and open up the adjustment sleeve a little more on one end, so they can go tighter?
is that acceptable and done at times, I have no clue.

Even if i reused my original adjustment sleeves, it’s still going to fully compress to fit the stock larger size of .780 versus .735 of the supposedly correct moog part. Just that little discrepancy of 45 thousandth of an inch that is keeping me from feeling warm and fuzzy on this matter.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
Surely they sent wrong part.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Surely they sent wrong part.
Maybe so. I installed all new Moog stuff under the front of my '84 last fall, and it all fit and tightened up very nicely. I can dig out part numbers tomorrow if you need them. Bought some parts locally, and the rest from Rock Auto. Everything from the steering box to the wheels, and all ball joints.

I have a pretty high tolerance for make-shift repairs, but when it comes to steering I'd want everything to be perfect.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
I’m going to go local rather than mail order. It’ll cost more, but I can measure it first. This is clearly the wrong part

Old 10-11-2018, 04:50 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
I’m going to go local rather than mail order. It’ll cost more, but I can measure it first. This is clearly the wrong part
I have never had to or done to the adjustment sleeve what you asked, make the slot wider so it can clamp down more on the threads.

When you go for the part local take the sleeve with you and test fit it to make sure it is like the rest.
Dave ----

Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
The mystery deepens. I went local, bought another brand, same deal. The threaded portion of left inner tie rod is slightly smaller than stock. And the new moog adjustment sleeve clamp gets metal to metal before it’ll get tight enough.
i do think since I’ve dine nothing more than hand fitment and didn’t put in grease fittings yet, both incorrect tie rods will be taken back.
if they’re what’s incorrect, and both are smaller than stock 84 rod. I ordered another left side adjustment sleeve just in case I might’ve gotten wrong sleeve. So that’s a moog and a msterbuilt driver inner tie rod with smaller threaded end than stock. I’m sure if I removed my stock 84 adjustment sleeves for reuse, I’d do the same thing on this new slightly skinnier rod, the clamp would bottom out it’s 2 sides before it’s tight enough to require tool and turn.
So, I’m hoping tomorrow’s left adjustment sleeve has one end smaller than the other to accommodate aftermarket underside threads. I bet if I could locate new old stock parts I wouldn’t have this going on. It’s not slot of money lost yet, it’s just eating time and I need to get this thing earning some of its investment back.
I can see how to resolve, it’d require grinding down one adjustment sleeve bracket on both flat spots where it meets if fully compressed, to enable bracket to go tighter before bottoming out. There is still an actual gap in the sleeve open center, but the bracket itself is metal to metal and still too loose. But I shouldn’t have to do that, and never had to do junk like this on other fronts ends I’ve fooled with.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Don't grind on it, get the right part. You do not want to be cussed by the alignment guy if he has to loosen that sleeve to adjust it. You are correct, stick with it and get the correct diameter part.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
So that’s a moog and a msterbuilt driver inner tie rod with smaller threaded end than stock. I’m sure if I removed my stock 84 adjustment sleeves for reuse, I’d do the same thing on this new slightly skinnier rod, the clamp would bottom out it’s 2 sides before it’s tight enough to require tool and turn.
So, I’m hoping tomorrow’s left adjustment sleeve has one end smaller than the other to accommodate aftermarket underside threads. I bet if I could locate new old stock parts I wouldn’t have this going on.
You don't even need NOS Ford parts. It sounds like that Masterbuilt? inner tie-rod is undersized or something. If you buy all of the parts in Moog, they'll all fit together properly.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
No Sir. I started with brand new MOOG components. Moog was too small. Bought Masterbuilt (Oreilly store brand name), same deal, too small. I'm using new Moog adjustable sleeves. Ordered new Moog left inner tie rod sleeve yesterday, will be in today and see. I expect it'll be same as what I've got, and I'll be stumped again, BUT, I will report back.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
I’ll dig out all of the Moog part numbers I used tonight when I get home to compare for you. I just did the whole works on my 84 f150 less than a year ago.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
No Sir. I started with brand new MOOG components. Moog was too small. Bought Masterbuilt (Oreilly store brand name), same deal, too small. I'm using new Moog adjustable sleeves. Ordered new Moog left inner tie rod sleeve yesterday, will be in today and see. I expect it'll be same as what I've got, and I'll be stumped again, BUT, I will report back.
Looks like these are the Moog parts I installed below. Just to compare to what you have. I know all of these parts fit fine on my 1984.
(Still, you could received incorrect parts in the boxes that are labeled correctly).

Left outer tie-rod: Moog # ES2078LT
Left inner tie-rod: Moog # DS1017T
Left adjustment sleeve: Moog # ES2080S

Right outer tie-rod: Moog # ES2077RT
Right inner tie rod: Moog # DS1018T
Right adjusting sleeve: Moog # ES2079S

These were used on my 2wd '84 F150. If your truck is different, then maybe you have different parts...I dunno.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:02 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Well I typed a reply yesterday and have no clue where it went. I immediately noticed huge difference in the parts house, as I did carry my inner tie rod. So on this adjustment sleeve I can get inner tie rod in, and can’t get outer started. So I stuck tie rod end in freezer overnight to see if that helps.
so, I guess they put wrong part in box at first delivery. I am surprised the second adjustment sleeve, had to pipe wrench the inner tie rod in all the way, and the outer tie rod end I will also once I can get it started. It’s getting it started that’s proving tough, wish I could spread the adjustment sleeve open on that end just a tad with a flathead or something,

Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
You can spread the sleeve open with a large screwdriver or chisel driven in, just make sure the clamps are loose enough. You will find also if you put your pipe wrench or channel locks on the sleeve a certain way, when you go to turn it, it will make the sleeve tighter. If you put the pliers on a different way, it will tend to open the sleeve and help you out in turning it.

Quick Reply: 84 f150 5.0 lwb driver inner tie rod