17+ owners - think I'll need WDH ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 PM
tommy_z
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17+ owners - think I'll need WDH ?

My 2019 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2 will be here soon. I tow a 29' TT that scales at 1000lbs of loaded tongue weight. Do you think I will need a weight distribution hitch ? I know the receiver sticker says 1500 lbs max. Concerned about how much weight gets removed from the front axle though.

I think the answer is "probably not"....but I wonder if I'll still wish for some sway control.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:50 PM
rcorkum4
Junior User
WDH required?

The manual says that a WDH is not required. That said, I still use an EZ Lift that I used with my Tundra because it adds a little anti-sway effect. I have an Ultralight trailer that is near max weight so I don’t apply full tension to the bars as that shifts weight to the trailer axles as well as the front truck axle.

With a 3500 lbs payload capacity I put as much into the bed as possible to lighten the trailer.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:16 PM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
FWIW - I've got a 27-ish foot trailer (33' end to end). On my last trip loaded for a week of dry glamping, I stopped at the scales. I've got 1450lbs of tongue weight at 9800lbs gtw. Without a WDH my steering axle is 500lbs lighter, 4650 empty, 4150 with trailer. You have less wheel base than I do so that plays into it. I'm almost at the max limit of the factory hitch which is a little disappointing.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rcorkum4
The manual says that a WDH is not required. That said, I still use an EZ Lift that I used with my Tundra because it adds a little anti-sway effect. I have an Ultralight trailer that is near max weight so I don’t apply full tension to the bars as that shifts weight to the trailer axles as well as the front truck axle.

With a 3500 lbs payload capacity I put as much into the bed as possible to lighten the trailer.
I'd appreciate it if you would post evidence that the owner's manual says a WDH is not required.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:39 PM
clarkbre
Tuned
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I'd appreciate it if you would post evidence that the owner's manual says a WDH is not required.
The bottom of page 7 on the 2017 SUPER DUTY PICKUP TOWING GUIDE clearly states that the hitch is rated for 1500lbs tongue weight....WDH or not.

That being said, if the trailer is lifting weight off the front axle, and there's an opportunity to return some of that weight, I would do it for sure.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Skimr
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2018 CCSB use weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar to tow our Lance trailer which weighs 5700 lbs loaded. Recent trip thru WY, NE, KS, MO saw heavy winds that really buffeted the truck and trailer. Confident without the hitch setup would have had severe trailer sway. Just my experience others may be different.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tommy_z
My 2019 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2 will be here soon. I tow a 29' TT that scales at 1000lbs of loaded tongue weight. Do you think I will need a weight distribution hitch ? I know the receiver sticker says 1500 lbs max. Concerned about how much weight gets removed from the front axle though.

I think the answer is "probably not"....but I wonder if I'll still wish for some sway control.

I have a 2018 350 CC PSD. I've tried it both ways. Our TT is 33 feet long and weights probably 8000 loaded. 110% there is a difference. I drove it 5 miles to walmart without our Equalizer hitch. I wouldn't want to tow all the time without it. I had to manage the steering wheel the whole time.

With our Equalizer, I can literally take both hands off the wheel and it tracks as if not pulling at all. The answer still is, "you can, but you probably shouldn't"

Old 10-04-2018, 01:56 PM
kmc06
Junior User
Congratulations on the new truck and you will love the way it handles the travel trailer if you do your part. Have puled a fifthwheel a few times with two different trucks; I knew how I wanted the new travel trailer to handle. Some folks thank that a travel trailer just can`t pull as good as a fifthwheel. On our last trip out I was following the son in law pulling their fifthwheel; the wind kicked up and he call me he how the trailer was acting that he was feeling some movement and was wondering how I was doing. I felt nothing and have felt but a slight push only a couple of times over the past year. With todays roads, traffic and sudden chnges in weather I want pull without my equalizer. The last three times out I ran into thunder storms and the setup is rock solid. It is always better to error on the side of safety.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:47 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,689 Likes on 2,748 Posts
I go without the WDH only when I'm pulling in town between home and the storage lot. Otherwise, the WDH is in use. Yes, the new Superduty trucks don't have the restriction on the hitch that over a certain weight it's rated for that weight only when a WDH is used. Depending on your tongue weight and trailer you'll find that a WDH makes for a much more pleasant towing experience.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
I think it comes down to, "Why not use it?" I am towing under 8,000lbs with with my 250 6.7L. I tow to and from the house without hooking up my bars on my WDH. There is a noticeable difference in how it tows. When I hook up the bars and hit the road, it will tow at 72 MPH with cruise control on and I can take my hands off the wheel and it is as if the trailer is not even there.

It doesn't take long to hook up, maybe an extra 5 minutes. So why not?

Old 10-06-2018, 07:38 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
As many others have said, is it 'required', no, the tuck will handle the load. Is it 'helpful', yes, it make for a more relaxed driving experience, and can often help with sway. As has been said on many other threads on this, if you already have the WDH from your previous tow vehicle, why not use it.

For the guy who has nearly maxed out the factory hitch, if only there were a heavy tow option that would get you a hitch rated for 2100 pound of tongue weight, with or without WDH.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 AM
rcorkum4
Junior User
WDH

Originally Posted by wrvond
I stand corrected. I looked at the Ford RV & Trailer towing guide (http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/ ) and there are some configurations where a WDH increases the maximum trailer weight. My rig shows no max weight difference with WDH. I don't know why a WDH increases maximum trailer weight in some cases and not others.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:23 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
I just returned from a 6000 mile "tow" and can attest to the benefit of using my weight distributing Equalizer hitch, not so much for the weight distribution function, but for the integrated sway control. Having towed with and without sway control, the inherent stability of my Super Duty is enhanced by the Equalizer sway control and makes towing in crosswinds, being passed by "speedy" eighteen wheelers and the effects uneven road surfaces less noticeable.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
For the guy who has nearly maxed out the factory hitch, if only there were a heavy tow option that would get you a hitch rated for 2100 pound of tongue weight, with or without WDH.
Seems like it should be an option but then a guy can always go aftermarket or Craigslist. I've got one of those 21,000lb max/2,100lb TW factory Ford hitches sitting in my garage. Took a little time but found one close by for cheap a couple days ago.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by River Wild
I'm almost at the max limit of the factory hitch which is a little disappointing.
I put one of these on our 2011 F-250

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15410

Two people makes it a breeze. It is 77 lbs I believe.

Griz

Quick Reply: 17+ owners - think I'll need WDH ?