Oil & Lubrication  

Watch How Differential Lube Behaves Behind The Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:12 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Watch How Differential Lube Behaves Behind The Cover

An interesting set of tests by Banks Engineering on the effects differential covers have on our differential lubricant. They rigged a clear plastic cover to film what happens at different speeds. It'll be a 3 part series, of which this is part-1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yG...ature=youtu.be Notice how the lube climbs the ring gear & is immediately aerated. Seems those of us that opt for more vicious lube & aftermarket covers might want to rethink our decisions to deviate from the stock specification call outs for fluid viscosity & rear cover internal shape. The rear cover is shaped the way it is for good reason.
Anyway enjoy the info, I sure have.

EDIT: Part-2, after market differential covers

EDIT: 11/5/19 The final product. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...iff-cover.html

Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Great video, very interesting how the shape of the the cover was made to drench the spiders also how ut helps dissipate heat.. very cool

Thanks

Old 09-29-2018, 02:22 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Has anyone seen Part 3 yet ?

Old 09-29-2018, 03:06 PM
pawpaw
I went to the Banks Engineering web site the other day, before making the thread & they didn't have part-3 up then.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:40 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
He said in pt 2 that it would be up last week.... guess he's spending more time with it than he thought.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:19 PM
pawpaw
He's eaten up with repeatability, they were stepping into the unknown, so likely ran into some unexpected variables that needed some out of the box Imagineering to solve to his satisfaction. He doesn't do things haphazardly, he really is serious about what he does, so will take the time needed to Accurately satisfy his curiosity.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fascinating stuff...I was going to install the Mag Hytec on my truck next time I want to swap the diff lube. Maybe now I won’t...

Old 10-07-2018, 10:25 AM
pawpaw
This is the reason they haven't proceeded to part-3. They milled off a flat rear cover surface that had fins & installed a Plexiglas window with surround LED lighting so he could better see what was going on with lube flow & aeration at various speeds with a flat internal surface rear cover & at 50mph you can hear some ominous mechanical clunking sounds that suggest the ring & pinion weren't being properly lubed, so they've not proceeded to Part-3 yet.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:36 PM
pawpaw
Bump:
Update:
An interim step in the rear differential cover project. Not a lot of info in this video, but a Cool looking design (no pun intended), he seems to be driving toward coming up with, based on what they're learning on this investigation. He's gone for & has a patent pending on a ram air cooled cover, half of which he shows in this video. https://www.bankspower.com/news-medi...-power-videos/ Scroll down & click on "Perfecting The Design"!!! More to come!!!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:59 AM
onug
Postmaster
Yep. I was beginning think he was designing his own “perfect” solution before posting the final video. And what do you know.

Think I need to re-watch the first videos while recovering from Turkey day. I don’t remember him showing proof of all those claims in his most recent video.

Still, glad to see they’re devising another solution for the market. I could care less about additional capacity or fancy looks. Just give me a drain hole. A viewing window is an added bonus for a quick visual check of oil level and condition.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:29 PM
pawpaw
If swapping out the stock cover, one needs to make sure the pinion gear is getting the needed bath from the ring gear picking up lube & carrying it over the top to sling it onto the pinion, without over aerating the lube.
Lots of different goings on with the lube, with the various internal configurations & capacity covers, which don't seem to have been completely thought through. Will be interesting to see what they discover & how it all plays out.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 PM
onug
Postmaster
Okay, I got back through the videos again today. Actually was still pretty interesting. I generally agree with everything he’s talked about. Basically, a bad cover design can reduce the flow of lubricant to the forward part of the housing. And too much lube can drive more heat into the system, possibly offsetting the increase cooling features of the cover and making the system less efficient.

We can speculate on what level of lube is needed on the pinion gear. It’s feasible some or all of the current aftermarket solutions are adequate. The cooling is going to be interesting since it sounds like they’ve put gauges on all those aftermarket covers for the testing we’ll see in the final video.

I’m very curious to see what type of cover they’ve engineered. He gave us a glimpse in the latest video, but a ram air cooling system? Wow. And I hope the existing aftermarket responds. More options for us is more-better.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 PM
pawpaw
Seems to me, If we're in cold country we don't likely need or want extra cooling in winter & no one wants or needs extra aeration of the differential fluid as it doesn't lube as well, no matter how much is in there. Lots to think about before popping another cover on the differential!!!

Old 11-28-2018, 05:33 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

take an aftermarket aluminum rear cover.. and have a machine shop cut an opening and make a lexan window..

I did years ago for valve covers...

Old 11-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
by the way...

in the early 60's Eaton.. made a clear rear cover for there larger trucks drives... to show how gear lube flowed at Zero degrees....

and some brands of lube was solid at zero.. and provided almost no lubrication...

I think it was made on 16mm film.... and provided to dealers.

Quick Reply: Watch How Differential Lube Behaves Behind The Cover