2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 F350 - Door rattle (sounds like a typewriter)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Heesman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 F350 - Door rattle (sounds like a typewriter)

Hi,
This past summer I ordered and received a 2018 F350. It now has 2500 miles on it. About 1000 miles ago, a rattle developed in the driver door that honestly sounds like a typewriter. I have uploaded a video to my youtube channel - turn up the volume as loud as you can tolerate.

Here are some annoying observations:
  1. It will do it after the truck sits for an extended period of time.
  2. It stops after about 15 minutes of driving
  3. Opening and closing the door doesn't stop it
  4. Pulling on the door release (not enough to open the door) doesn't stop it
  5. Opening the door while driving doesn't stop it
  6. It happens at any speed
  7. The slightest bump in the road will cause it
  8. At stop, closing the door doesn't make the noise show up
  9. For certain it is coming from the driver's door
I have taken it to my dealer 3 times now and of course the rattle doesn't show up. I took back in today and told them to keep it until they find it.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Old 09-24-2018, 04:07 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
It sounds almost like loose op-rods clicking against something, but it could be several other items in there. If it stops after awhile, perhaps it has worked its way into a semi-secure location, and slamming the door closed would dislodge it again. If you want to attempt going inside the door yourself, I've attached a video I used to install Jimmi-Jammers in mine.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 AM
Heesman
Junior User
If my truck doesn’t do it at the dealership, I might have to resort to finding it myself. Pulling off the panel and driving around for a while would certainly help find it. Getting in and out of the truck will be a PITA, lol.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Cdobyns
Junior User
Originally Posted by Heesman
Hi,
This past summer I ordered and received a 2018 F350. It now has 2500 miles on it. About 1000 miles ago, a rattle developed in the driver door that honestly sounds like a typewriter. I have uploaded a video to my youtube channel - turn up the volume as loud as you can tolerate. https://youtu.be/D3tcnF3ars4

Here are some annoying observations:
  1. It will do it after the truck sits for an extended period of time.
  2. It stops after about 15 minutes of driving
  3. Opening and closing the door doesn't stop it
  4. Pulling on the door release (not enough to open the door) doesn't stop it
  5. Opening the door while driving doesn't stop it
  6. It happens at any speed
  7. The slightest bump in the road will cause it
  8. At stop, closing the door doesn't make the noise show up
  9. For certain it is coming from the driver's door
I have taken it to my dealer 3 times now and of course the rattle doesn't show up. I took back in today and told them to keep it until they find it.

Any thoughts?

Eric
my passenger door does exact same thing and I have also noticed that after truck has sat in garage overnight it seems to rattle a lot pulling out of my neighborhood, mostly doesn’t rattle on highway, but like you said it will randomly start and rattle and then stop again. Let me know what you find

Old 09-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Cdobyns
Junior User
I had mine at dealer and same thing. “ we could never get it to rattle.” Seems pretty easy for me to get it to rattle, just drive the damn thing.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holy hell for as consistent as that is it should be a breeze to find. remove door panel, drive with someone in back seat and look for sound from inside the door. Its the random little noises that are hard. Hate to say it I removed the b pillar panels and the seatbelt mechanism makes a ton of noise ranging from clicks, spring etc. I don't think that I your source though. Keep us updated.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 AM
agpopp
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Could it be electronic...like a solenoid contact?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Nastyman
Freshman User
2017 F250 6.2 with a similar rattle, maybe not as pronounced as yours, when driving over bumpy areas when cool/cold outside. Would mostly stop after a few minutes when truck interior warmed up. My noise sounded like it was coming from inside the door but actually originated from the fixed louvered window vent (not the forward facing vent) located on the side of the dash directly across from the mirror mount cover. Putting my fingers firmly on the vent while driving was enough to stop the noise. I ended up prying off the louvered vent cover and lightly shaving some excess plastic vent piping that seemed to be rubbing on the cover. No more noise....so far.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Heesman
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nastyman
2017 F250 6.2 with a similar rattle, maybe not as pronounced as yours, when driving over bumpy areas when cool/cold outside. Would mostly stop after a few minutes when truck interior warmed up. My noise sounded like it was coming from inside the door but actually originated from the fixed louvered window vent (not the forward facing vent) located on the side of the dash directly across from the mirror mount cover. Putting my fingers firmly on the vent while driving was enough to stop the noise. I ended up prying off the louvered vent cover and lightly shaving some excess plastic vent piping that seemed to be rubbing on the cover. No more noise....so far.
That is an interesting thought - I have poked, prodded, pushed everything on the door assuming the noise is coming from there. Maybe it is the louvered window vent....shoot, I will feel like a moron if that is what it is. I guess it makes some sense as the noise disappears after it warms up. The dealer kept it over night, so far I haven't heard from them.

I will keep everyone updated.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Heesman
Junior User
Another update on my door noise saga. I have isolated the noise to the lower door hinge. If you put your hand on the door, just below the hinge, you can feel a "pop". This sound from the hinge is the same noise I hear going down the road (the first video I posted).

Prior to figuring out the correlation with the door hinge, I have I have removed the door panel multiple times and have driven the truck and the noise shows up, therefore, I can rule out the door panel. I have taped, padded everything I can touch within the door and nothing helps.

If I can get the noise to show up at the dealership, they will attempt to fix it. Very frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:26 AM
BIGDOG1974
Senior User
Sounds like mine did before I wrapped the door latch striker plate with a black fiberized electrical tape .I still hear a creaking noise while opening/closing the door near the hinge rod when the sun heats up the aluminum.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:26 AM
BigTexDiesal
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try tapping the door jam with black tape. The part the striker hits at opening of door. I am curious if this will tighten the joint and minimize how much the hinge can move up and down.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:02 PM
ChainsandBalls
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of my doors do it. Driver is worst. I'm now thinking its paint between surfaces or tolerance issue. It comes and goes with temperature changes too. My 2015 F150 did not do it at all. Taping the striker might help when closed.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Crabbman P
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
That rattle would indeed be annoying.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:26 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
FWIW - Similar annoying rattle / noise / clicking - many of my observations were similar to yours. Thought they were coming from right rear door, bed/frame area - finally went under the truck and tightened all of the running board bolts and the noise(s) went away. Some of the bolts were very loose!

Quick Reply: 2018 F350 - Door rattle (sounds like a typewriter)