1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First Post and First Project.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 01:12 PM
AlaskaMatt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First Post and First Project.

Hello Everyone!

I don't normally post on forums, mostly lurking. I've decided to share my project with everyone, and hopefully ask for advice along the way.

I picked up a 1948 F-6 last week, and am excited to get started. It's not in the greatest of shape, but I couldn't beat the price. $250, and she was all mine. My first goal is to get everything taken apart, and blasted. I know the fenders will have to be replaced, and I'm on the hunt for a new bed. I used to work in the Industrial Coatings Industry, and have a lot of experience with sandblasting. After I'm able to get the body taken apart, I plan on sandblasting all the panels, and seeing what I'm working with. I know the roof of the cab, and the hood will need some work, as well as both doors. I don't have much experience with hammering sheet metal, and I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I'm hoping to learn as I go, and have fun. Thanks for checking out my first project, and thanks in advance for all the help, that I'm counting on.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:58 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
Hi Matt and welcome to FTE. You're in the right place and there are several here that suffer from your addiction to lost causes (or what seems to be) You've got a great starter vehicle there and one that will be very unique when you're done. Especially in Alaska... Looks like most of that will buff right out . but your seat needs some work.

Since you have experience with sand blasting, I'm sure you know about warpage on the large panels from heat from the blasting process... Lots of guys go with a lighter media or even soda blasting... but, You have some mature rust there. I'm not an F-1 guy as mine is a '53 but there are some gurus here that can tell you what can be exchanged with an f-1... i.e.. doors, fenders, etc... at least there are f-1 parts available from the vendors if you can. Abe and some of the other fellows can steer you in the right directions for parts and vendors.

tell us your plans for the truck... going flat bed ?? will it be a 1/4 mile demon ??? I'd love to see those duallys do a burnout !!!!! Keep us posted and ask all the questions you want... this is the most helpful group you'll ever find... No flames and shames just guys/girls that love rust and grease and fine old trucks...

You started off correctly by posting a nice set of pictures... keep them coming... pictures keep us all motivated !!\
later
John

Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 PM
F1 coyote
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome and great project, there are a ton of resources out there to help you on your way to completing the project. I'm looking at doing a 51 F5 myself. The best of luck to ya.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:13 PM
AlaskaMatt
New User
[/Quote]
You started off correctly by posting a nice set of pictures... keep them coming... pictures keep us all motivated !!\
later
John[/Quote]

I'm a pictures guy myself. Thanks for the encouragement John. My plans for the truck aren't set in stone yet. My buddy is in the process of trying to talk me into dropping in a 5.9L Cummins, as we speak. I'll post a picture of what I had in mind, but right now my main concern is just getting together a straight body.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:32 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome Matt!

This may be of interest: Body Part Interchange Guide

From the pics, I'm not seeing trashed fenders - just some that will need a little work.

I'm not certain of your intentions - but if you are going to try to convert an F6 into a F1 that's a pretty tall order. While the cab/doors/hood are the same - the rest of the sheetmetal / chassis / differential / wheels / and tranny are big truck specific. The 8' express bed (used on the F2/F3) likely is too small for the current frame length.

So, let's back up. Aside from a motivational picture, what is your build plan?

Old 09-22-2018, 07:48 PM
AlaskaMatt
New User
I'm sure that it's is a challenge to make the full swap. I'm planning on scrapping most of the chassis and running gear that's part of the truck now. I'm still researching what I want to do. I'd like to transplant it onto a newer frame. So far, I'd like to keep the body stock, no chopped tops, or any nonsense. I've got a line on a 5.0 Coyote out of a 15 F-150. I'm not sure if I'll put that in, or go with a classic 302. Regardless, I'd like to try to track down a 4spd Top Loader, and a 9" rear end. Nothing flashy. I should mention, I don't live in Alaska anymore. I'm currently working in the oilfields in North Dakota. Hopefully that gives me more access to parts, and cheap shipping.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
As you are in ND, it would be worth your time to look at parts available from the guys in Minot. If they have a F1 frame, it would go a long way toward simplifying your project.

Dick & Mike's Hot Rod Garage- Streetrods, Hotrods, Classics, and Project Cars

Old 09-22-2018, 11:06 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Welcome aboard, Matt! And good on you for saving another old truck. She'll need a lot of work, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I was thinking of doing a custom car hauler for a track car my brother and I are building, using an F6 or similar as a base for it. And the thought had occurred to me to drop a Cummins or Powerstroke in it to serve the purpose. I'd be curious to see what direction you take. Guess it depends on what you plan on using her for when she's ready.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:26 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Matt,
$250 for a nice cab is good... that roof looks challenging but your doors look
pretty good to me. That door gap is nice and straight! If you want an F1 - just get a nice frame
with a Title & start building. I don't see much reason to try to make an F5 into an F1....
too much effort.

Have fun ..I like your project!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Do you have a nice warm garage for this project up there in North Dakota?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey there Matt! Welcome to the forum! Like you, I was not a forum kinda guy when I joined here. This is a good bunch of great enablers here! You will soon find out, you will be glad you jumped in. I would be lost without the help and knowledge of this forum!
If you have the ambition to learn, you will be surprised at what you can accomplish!
Enjoy, be patient, and begin!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I want to see the floors of the cab. How do those look?