2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Uncomfortable front seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:06 PM
homerj
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uncomfortable front seat

2018 lariat value package.
So when I first got my truck seat wasn’t very comfortable to me. But I thought it was because I was so used to my 04. It was an xlt plan Jane and could drive all day and have no issues, this truck few hours and I’m done. It feels like there is a roll right at mid top back (I’m 5-5) doesn’t feel like I can sink into it at all. Reminds me of sitting on a bleacher with no support for upper back because my upper back doesn’t touch seat and your bent backwards over it.
Like if you put seat all the way back to nap as wife is in store, no way feels like your laying on a log/hump and is painfull. If you go to passenger seat completely different seat put all the way back and lay back and fall asleep in the seat. It feels like I sink into it and it wraps around me. Yes I have put the lumbar all the way to zero.

I have read all about complaints on the seats and yet to hear this one. My wife things I’m nuts but I’m not and know everyone feels different in them. And know when I take it in to complain they will say it’s normal no issue. Has any one flipped seats from one side to other? It looks like it can be done to me but some work.
I dont even like driving it now (5000 miles) I usually drive the fiesta now because it’s so much more comfortable and it’s a plain Jane one.

Any suggestions, ideas, anybody run into this themselves?

Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Since 2015 the seats have sucked on the f150 and 17 and up on the superduty. They made the seats thinner to give more rear leg room. The drivers seat pivots to high and the seat base is lower causing me to only recline half way. All the way and it's like laying on a speed bump.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Carnac22
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of things that helped me:

In other vehicles I run with seats full down, but with the SD I raise the seat base a good bit (still plenty of head room). I'm 5' 11" and moving the seat base up helps where the seat back hits.

I also use the three lumber supports to give me better back fit. Not sure if you have them or not, but they help a lot.

The base of the seat angle makes a big difference also.

I've found that by trying even some very small adjustments, I can get the seat very comfortable. Just did a drive from Las Vegas to Pagosa Springs, CO. About a 10 hour drive. Seats were pretty comfortable.

Jim

Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
I have a STX (XL) with limited adjustments. Forward and back, reclining back and lumbar. At first I thought that I wasn't going to be able to adjust and be comfortable but found once I adjusted the lumbar properly, I love the seat. I am slightly taller though (6' 0").

Old 09-20-2018, 07:13 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by h20camper
I have a STX (XL) with limited adjustments. Forward and back, reclining back and lumbar. At first I thought that I wasn't going to be able to adjust and be comfortable but found once I adjusted the lumbar properly, I love the seat. I am slightly taller though (6' 0").
I agree and I have the same seats. I really like them. I've driven straight 5-6-7 hours and no real fatigue in my legs, back or shoulders. I may recover them at some point but I wouldn't change anything else.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 PM
V-22 Osprey
Mountain Pass
Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
I had comfort issues in my 2015 F-150 with factor leather. It had all the adjustments , but it didn't matter. Two hours in on any long drive and I was moving around like a toddler thing to get comfortable. Now my new XL has very few adjustment and it way more comfortable. Seems for me the cloth seat feel better, they have a little give, you sink in just a little. Had planned to install Katzkin leather as soon as I got the truck, but now I might wait a while.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:22 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
I like the front of my seat all the way up and the rear all the way down. I think the seats are decently comfortable but not as nice as some. I am 6’5” so what works for me may not work for you. I wish I could gain about 1” more legroom but that will be hard to do...

Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM
brainofjjj
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 6'1" and feel like there's not much leg support, there's at least 5 inches from my knees to the seat. If anyone has ever driven a BMW you;ll know they have thigh support that kicks serious ***. Sure wish this truck did.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
To the OP. Adjust that seat, do all kinds of adjustments, adjust the base up as far as it will go, adjust the back to Tilt back a bit more at a time, and for long trips, adjust your seat often. This is a common misconception, don’t move the seat and you will cramp up, the key to comfort is varying your position. If you also have adjustable tilt, telescoping steering wheel, also adjust this. Most people adjust to close to the steering wheel, to low, and downtime keep themselves back far enough. If you have heating and cooling, us heat, then cool, 15 minutes each. When you find a good spot, select it to memory, so you can always go back to it.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 PM
homerj
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
To the OP. Adjust that seat, do all kinds of adjustments, adjust the base up as far as it will go, adjust the back to Tilt back a bit more at a time, and for long trips, adjust your seat often. This is a common misconception, don’t move the seat and you will cramp up, the key to comfort is varying your position. If you also have adjustable tilt, telescoping steering wheel, also adjust this. Most people adjust to close to the steering wheel, to low, and downtime keep themselves back far enough. If you have heating and cooling, us heat, then cool, 15 minutes each. When you find a good spot, select it to memory, so you can always go back to it.
thought I replied to this? One more try. A adjusted every wish way and do it through out the drive and have three saves. It doesn’t matter. The passengers seat is so much better feels like you sit in it not on it.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:49 AM
zrxy
Lead Driver
Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts
Tried all settings-seat blows, back is killin me-gotta adjust frequently to get relief!!!!!!!
Never sat in pass side, gonna check it for a comparison.......5'10

Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
I absolutely hated my seat when I first got my truck, I have an XLT with limited adjustments. I did Install Katskins which helped a bit and I added seat heaters which I absolutely love. I think the thing is just spending some time behind the wheel and getting your body adjusted to the different seats. It took me some time but now I have plowed long hours several times and taken a couple of trips and its much better

Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 AM
BHPR
Mountain Pass
I don't like the seats much. I have tried all the adjustments and can only get moderately comfortable and after a while not comfortable.

This is my first real truck but I thought the seats would be better than they are. XLT so cloth but leather on top of these seats would probably not help much.

Have the premium pkg so heat and several adjustments....lumbar has to be set lowest or I really start to ache...

Thought I might try sheep wool covers as they might help the give a little. I'm 5'8" so maybe it's that the seats are geared towards larger people.....

I sat in the passenger seat and did not feel any big difference.....

These seats are a big disappointment.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 AM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did your 04 have the captains chairs? My 04 XLT had them and I think they’re pretty hard to beat. I wish they still made different seats for the truck but unfortunately the new captains chairs (if you can call them that) are just the bench seat with a console jammed in the middle. I think that’s a mistake. I miss the wrap around feel and the attached armrest. Using the console as an armrest just feels too far away. I’m 6’3” and the back contours feel pretty good to me except for the lack of padding behind my left shoulder blade.. I can see how a shorter back wouldn’t fit right.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm 6'2", 225. The seat in my last truck, an 08 Ram, caused me pain in my left butt cheek from the day it was new. 8 hour trips in it was uncomfortable. The seat in my XLT is great. Long days behind the wheel cause no pains. I did find that, even though I'm tall, I prefer the seat to be adjusted up as high as possible...front up/rear lowered.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable front seat