Sponsored by:

Has anyone done the 08 spring swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone done the 08 spring swap?

Not having much luck with the search feature.
I've been considering the 08+ spring swap with the spring hanger conversion brackets from Precision Metal Fab. Their description says it uses 2008-2016 springs, but goes on to say they recommend the 11-16 springs because they are "slightly softer." I have tried to read up as much as possible, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there other than a few installation threads.

Yeah, I have questions-
1- Does the same principle apply as earlier SD springs, where you get a little lift out of them as compared to factory Ex springs?
2- Does the description "softer" for the 11-16 springs mean reduced capacity when compared to 08-10 springs?
3- Has anyone made a spring code chart like we've been using for 99-07 springs to compare capacity and additional lift?
4- If anyone has done this conversion on an Ex, were the benefits worth it when you take into account the labor involved?

I am extremely interested in this swap, but you know me- I want to know if it is worth it and what my options are. I am getting ready to do a lot of changes to the front suspension, so I might play around with the back end as well. I have a baaaad ball joint on the front, plus those saggy front springs, so it's time to give the truck some love...

Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
1. Yes
2. No. They are longer springs. Spring rate x travel = capacity
3. unknown to me but would be easy to figure out if you look up the specs
4. Depends what you are trying to accomplish

longer softer springs require less shock valving to control the springs = better ride quality and longer spring life.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
The mods I have planned for the front are going to lift it a bit- how much depends on which way I decide to go (for now, say 4 to 6 inches). I just started thinking about what to do for the rear. All I know now is that 1) I need some lift, 2) I really don't want tall blocks back there, and 3) I'd like a little heavier springs. I can get some F450 springs from a '10 locally for pretty cheap, and mainly was wondering if being longer would benefit the ride quality over, say, using F450 springs from a 99-07. I don't mind the whole "riding like a truck" because I think my Ex doesn't ride stiff enough the way it is- but I don't want it to ride like a dump truck full of gravel either.

Either way, it's spring time for me- the fronts are 1/8" from the bumper (only have one), the rears squat with a utility trailer and a large riding mower. I haven't given the girl much attention lately other than general maintenance, so it's time to shower her with gifts. Haha

Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM
RPhil
Mountain Pass
Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
Do it and let us know how it goes. Long term goal for myself is an 05-07 coil spring front end and ‘08+ leaf springs in the back paired with some quality shocks.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:56 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
While I am a fan of building cool suspensions and making things better the reality is unless you spend the time and money doing the shock tuning to take advantage of those longer springs they are not going to ride any better then using the shorter springs from the 99-07 trucks.

rear squat is always going to happen when you put additional payload on a spring. One reason for the Excursions unique ( that is a nice way of saying poor due to way to much understeer ) handeling is the factory unbalanced spring rates. You can improve the ride and handeling by using a lower rear spring rate and adding an air bag to handle towing payloads.

The trucks do this by using a dual rate spring. The common B mod swap negates this advantage because people add the lower leafs from the excursion making the spring the stock 420 pound per inch rate.

Here, read this and pay close attention to the setup.
https://www.carlisuspension.com/prod...system-00.html

you can replicate that setup by using $125 procomp springs instead of $800 deavers and get pretty close to the same shock setup in a $80 Bilstein 5125 custom fit shock. ( not the standard 5100 excursion shock )

if you did the coil spring front I would still copy the rear setup. In my opinion it rides and handles better then the B mod setup and with air bags is vastly superior then any leaf for towing.

But if you want to put the work into a 08 spring it could be even better but not without considerable tuning.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:05 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Here, read this and pay close attention to the setup.
https://www.carlisuspension.com/prod...system-00.html

you can replicate that setup by using $125 procomp springs instead of $800 deavers and get pretty close to the same shock setup in a $80 Bilstein 5125 custom fit shock. ( not the standard 5100 excursion shock )

if you did the coil spring front I would still copy the rear setup. In my opinion it rides and handles better then the B mod setup and with air bags is vastly superior then any leaf for towing.
Man, I was all excited about that until I saw the price...and then I re-read your post...I know what sort of research I'll be doing this weekend....I've been excited to do the B mod with V's up front (I don't want much lift) and now I have something else to chew on. THANKS!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:30 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Take a look at the procomp f250 springs, 5.5 in the rear with no blocks and 2” up front.
i’ll get Part numbers and some specs when I get some time tonight.

in the Ex height thread there are some final ride height numbers for this setup.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
I just scored pretty good on craigslist. I got a pair of 4:10 axles complete with the tie rods, the tall rear blocks, and front springs (and other misc components) for $450. I mainly bought it for the axles, as I have no idea what code the springs are, and the guy parted the truck so he doesn't know either. Both springs have "F81A ADD" on them, then on has "R 110 8" while the other has "R 103 8." Not sure I want to use them with not knowing what they are (he said they came off of an F350). At any rate, the whole mess must have had a lot less miles on them than my Excursion, because there is still a lot of factory paint on them (this is Indiana, mind you).

I know there isn't a lot of info out there for determining the spring code by the stamp on the spring, but do you think I should consider using them since 1) I have them, and 2) they have to be better than factory Ex springs? I'd "probably" be using them with a mini-pack, if that helps.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:04 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Joey, you said above that you were targeting 6" to 8" of lift up front, how big of a tire are you planning to run with those new to you 4.10 gears? 3.73 to 4.10 really isn't enough of a gear change to make up for big tire's with a V-10. Remember that the 6.8 is best matched with the 4.30 ratio, so 35"s mate with 4.88s for an effective 4.30-ish ratio. Of course that is for optimum all around performance and towing, a lesser ratio will still run the rig around, just with a bit less umph.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by EXSwap
Man, I was all excited about that until I saw the price...
Good gravy, 7k for just a 4.5" suspension lift?

Back in '89 as a struggling, newly married 24 year old finding out he had a baby on the way, I traded my truck in and bought a whole car for 7 grand, not just a suspension for one, LOL!

Stewart

Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
WE3ZS, I know that I am eventually looking at a gear change. I mainly bought these axles because they were low miles and the ones currently under Bertha have bad ball joints and leaky seals. I thought it would be easier (for now) to just throw them in since I'm going to have springs out anyway. For now, I plan on throwing on the 18-inch wheels with 34-ish tires that I picked up cheap and just deal with it until I can get to the next phase (gear change and bigger-but-yet-undetermined tires). Right now, she is parked because a bad ball joint and the tire that it ate...

After hours of searching the Internet, it looks like the new-to-me springs might be T-code. I am still debating throwing them on because I am debating what route I want to take (which happens to me frequently when good deals show up and friends say "Wouldn't it be cool if..."). I just had a couple deals show up on my radar for an Excursion frame for dirt cheap and a front frame cut for a coil swap (everything but the axle) also dirt cheap. Now I am kicking around the idea of just throwing the new axles and front springs in Big Bertha and just finding a used tire to match my stockers, and get her back on the road while taking my time doing a coil swap and lift on a different frame...

Who knew modifications would use as much brain power and decision making as when I brought her back from the fire... haha

Old 09-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Quick question- The only thing I have ever regeared is old muscle cars... are there groups of carriers for certain gear ranges in these things? Will I have to change out the carrier when I (numerically) go up in size?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:38 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
You should be good on stock axles and carriers all the way up to 5.13s, member kiaherman just put those gears in his EX.