1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
View Poll Results: To Paint or Not to Paint That is My Question....
Macco Paint Job to get it back to 1 color (factory blue)
47.62%
Clear Coat as it sits
33.33%
Sell to someone who will love it
19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

To Paint or Not To Paint.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Alamo_cj8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Paint or Not To Paint.....

I am attaching pictures of our 73’ F-100 Explorer, 2wd, long bed, 109k, original 302 / C-4 completely new brakes, fuel system (new tank, filler hose, new fuel pump, carb rebuilt), wheel bearings, tail pipe, tires, seat professionally reupholstered, new door panels, etc and we know the original owner who we got it from so we are sure this is original mileage and condition. Some additional context; I can’t see this is ever being a valuable or sought after truck being a long bed, 2wd without AC. I plan to use it as a beater truck without concern for scratches / dents, it does not have A/C (and I can’t figure out how to install a cheap A/C unit), I plan to drive it about 5 miles a day on days that are too cold or wet to ride that distance to the train station. Now that we understand how I will use it my plan was to slap an inexpensive paint job (think Macco cheap) on the truck but my son is adamant that I will ruin the truck and I should clear coat it for the patina look, the roof and bed are almost 100% surface rust - no holes just surface rust from sitting out for the last decade plus in South Texas. I just want it one color so it doesn’t look like I have some old POS sitting in the driveway pissing off the neighbors and the HOA in the new house we are moving into. My son is quite convinced that if I paint it the factory blue again I will ruin the truck and if nothing else I should either clear coat it or leave it as is and sell it to someone who would appreciate it. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated, I would sell it for the $5K I have in it or trade it for something else newer with fuel injection and A/C but I am not really sure what it is even worth like it sits.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clear coating over patina is a trend that needs to die immediately IMO. Looks stupid no matter how it's done. Frankly the truck looks fine as it is.

I work at Maaco...you definitely get what you pay for. The cheapest paint package is enamel, and they will not even sand the truck to make it stick. They will use a scotch-brite pad to scuff the paint on your truck, then half assed-ly mask the truck and shoot it. I've seen a number of trucks come in for a cheap paint job....it's not pretty. As for longevity? Give it a year or two (6 months to a year if left outside, neglected, or always in scorching sun)...it'll look worse than it currently does when you go in.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 PM
4fords
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that you are have $5k into it already, I would put a good paint job on it, $1500 - $2000, if it can be done for that price in your area. I agree with Dave145, don't clear coat patina. One thing to keep in mind, you will never get out of these trucks what you put into them money wise. Keep, paint it one color, and enjoy it.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:35 PM
moose4x4
Cargo Master
Received 131 Likes on 110 Posts
My theory is Maaco guys know how to spray the paint, they spray so much of it. Sand and prep the truck yourself and even add the first bit of masking tape to get clean lines, then have Maaco paint it. Me and my brother did this to a Fairlane back in 74 and then had the Earl Schieb 69.95$ paint job it looked real good.
My vote would be to paint it, My son on the other hand would clear it.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Ben Samways
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the "moving into an HOA" perspective, you might get away with just painting (and blending) the hood and roof, as the rest doesn't look too bad.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:13 PM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
matte clear coat it. not a gloss it will look like poop.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:28 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I voted for Maaco, although if it were mine, I would consider painting it with a roller since it looks non-metallic. If you do it right, and color-sand and buff, a roll-on job can turn out pretty nice.

That looks like a pretty straight truck, so I would worry about dents, but not scratches as much.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by moose4x4
My theory is Maaco guys know how to spray the paint, they spray so much of it. Sand and prep the truck yourself and even add the first bit of masking tape to get clean lines, then have Maaco paint it. Me and my brother did this to a Fairlane back in 74 and then had the Earl Schieb 69.95$ paint job it looked real good.
You'd be surprised the quality of painters we get....and I don't mean that in a good way. Currently I prep the cars for paint and am in the process of becoming a painter myself. It's all about what you pay for. If you pay to have a door detrimmed, sanded, have all the ships feathered out, etc, you'll get it. If you pay for a base/clear job over enamel or urethane, you'll get it. If you pay to have it wet sanded and buffed, you guessed it, you'll get it. If you then take care of your vehicle and protect the paint, it'll last a long time.

However, most people come in looking for cheap. They usually get steered toward urethane paint, a quickie prep job, and if they're lucky an interior clean up, for roughly $800-$1000. The cheapest customers opt for the enamel paint, scotch brite the whole car, and shoot it. Looks like a 16 year olds face on date night with all the pock marks. Some customers are ok with it and some aren't.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by moose4x4
That is the way to go. Strip the truck of bumpers, chrome, lights, etc. the more you get off the better.
Then you sand the truck getting to the edges as this is where the paint will start to peel.

Now the only thing I see an issue with is the rust. You will want to remove as much as you can, sand or grind, then treat it then prime.
Sand the primer with the rest of the truck and send it to get painted.

As for the HOA I feel for you.
May want to check with them to see if they will let you keep it parked in your drive, they may not want to see it and you will need to park in in the garage and it does not fit!

Oh if you could not tell paint it its your truck, your son can do what he want to HIS truck.
Dave ----

Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave145
Clear coating over patina is a trend that needs to die immediately IMO. Looks stupid no matter how it's done.
Yes! I don't get the whole patina thing either. It's a toss up which is worse IMO- clear coated patina or the matte finish paint. Personally, if I spend a bunch of time and money on a truck, I want it to look like it.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 PM
thestinkyone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I vote for a good wash then just wax it the truck is very nice as it sits.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Merlyn James
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same issue with surface rust in my all grey 76. From time to time I consider painting it, but generally don’t mind the rust. I guess people call rust patina these days. I keep it clean, and would never consider clear coat.

I had a fibreglass cap painted at maco one time. I pulled out all the glass and hardware so all they had to do was sand and paint. It turned out fine, but there would be way more prep work on an older truck. $$$

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Why is your son selling the truck on Facebook? Keep the truck and enjoy it! Don't clear it like others said if you want the patina look then do a matte finish otherwise paint the hood and call it a day

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Have to laugh at the folks who turn up their nose at old single stage paint... what do you think came on these originally? The cheapest stuff on the market now is probably as good as the original factory paint in the '70s.
It all hangs on the prep work... if you have the time, take everything possible off the vehicle (I mean including windshields etc.) thoroughly strip it to bare metal, get as much of the rust off as possible, convert or encapsulate what you can't derust, get some self-etching primer over all of it - then take it in for painting. A cheap MAACO job over prep like that will last decades. The nicest high-dollar paint in the world will look like crap over a bad prep job. "Patina" - is surface rust - either active or temporarily inactive (we all know that rust comes back...always). It's basically like guns with the brown finish - get it rusty, descale it, rust again, etc. and you eventually get a nice rich brown finish. But, like bluing, it is a rust process and prone to rerusting. . It's basically a nice truck, I like the bed rails you added. From what you describe though, it is a nice driver and not a collector - you will not ruin any collector's value by painting it.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Received 588 Likes on 347 Posts
Rust never sleeps. Even after you clear coat the rust, it is still eating metal. Sand the hell out of it, treat the rust spots with an inhibitor, and then shoot 2 coats of epoxy primer (after you mask it off). Take it to Maaco for the final coat if you want too. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: To Paint or Not To Paint.....