1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

How to know which dually rims will work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 AM
Hossrod
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to know which dually rims will work?

I have a 1973 P400 with dually wheels. It has old 2 piece rims and I want to replace them with new cheap stamped steel rims. However, I'm not sure how to know if something I find online will fit. So far I haven't found a site that has my year/model. So trying to go off measurements.

Measuring the old rims, it looks like they are 16x6 with 8-6.5 bolt pattern. Offset (from center line of rim to back of hub) is 5" and bore is 5.75" (as best I could measure with tape).

For example, I found these, would they work? https://www.roadreadywheels.com/prod...teel-wheel-rim

Also, to add to my confusion, I'm new to duallies and not sure if there are other factors to consider. Like are front and rear the same (I seem to recall that all 6 wheels can be in any position)? Are special lug nuts needed (I'm not sure whats on there now are original, and I want to replace them as well anyways)? etc.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:08 AM
FMJ.
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16'' x 6'' rims with 8 * 6.5 (a.k.a. 165.10mm) bolt pattern sounds correct. (a.k.a. steelies I think)

Earlier ones had ''acorn'' fittings and are 'lug centric'.

Later models (I don't know from what year) are 'hub centric'. (The ones in the link have no acorns, and might be hub centric.)

Yours will be 'lug centric'.

The picture below shows the alternating hole patterns. Ones with a recess, and ones with a lip. (These are the acorns I believe.)

You could check the front and rear rotors to confirm that they are 'acorn' friendly.

I also believe that they were fitted to Dodges as well as Ford trucks.

You can fit any of the rims to front or back.

There are a variety of offsets and backspacings, so when you do order yours, insist that they are all the same.

(And yes, I did clean the rims before fitting them back on. LOL )

Old 09-19-2018, 05:17 AM
FMJ.
Elder User
With regard to lug nuts, mine are this shape :

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...27-d/overview/

I'm sure there are several shapes that can be used though.

My diff is a Dana 70, and it is definitely a Ford one as opposed to a GM one. (Per drum backing plate bolt pattern.)

So it should have Ford 9/16''-18 studs, and yet it has 5/8-18'' GM studs !!??

Measure your studs to be sure what lug nuts are required.

Also, check if the driver side studs are LH or RH. The passenger side should be RH.

I've only seen LH nuts advertised in Oz, and f$$k were they expensive !!

Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM
Hossrod
Junior User
Thanks! The info about coined helped a lot!

I'm having a hard time tracking down any online/craigslist/etc. But did find these that look like they are correct... https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-E-M-Dual-...d/121890009448

See any reasons these wouldn't work or something else I verify before ordering?

A little more expensive than I was hoping though. Gonna end up spending more on rims and tires than I did the whole truck lol.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Part yards should have a great selection of these rims. I typically pay about $25/rim for steelies.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM
FMJ.
Elder User
I heard of the 'coined' description for the first time last week only.

Yes, those ones are correct, $160.00 does look expensive, very expensive, but if they are 100% brand new, then hmmmm, ok.

Actually, for that sort of money, I'd consider aluminium dually rims.

I just had a look to get the details of the rims I bought back in 2007, but Murphy's Law, out of millions of receipts, I cannot find that one.

I paid about $50each at the time, and I thought I was getting new ones, coz they looked just like that one in your link, but no, they were second hand. Fair enough.

I only learned about the different stud sizes last week, and I see that the link shows 5/8'' studs required. (My Haynes book states 9/16'')

The holes in my rims are slightly bigger than 5/8'', I think, and the lug nuts fit tightly over the protruding acorns, so maybe it's not an issue. I don't know !

Maybe check what you have now, and that can be your accurate benchmark.

I've just seen Jarrett's suggestion. That would be my first choice. (You lucky ba$tards have loads of Parts Yards with our old trucks and I'm jealous.)

LOL @ the expenditure comment.

The small 9th hole in the rims, is used to line up the duals against pins protruding from the rotors, if the pins are still there.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 AM
FMJ.
Elder User
I think those steelies are also available from Econolines and a variety of vehicles, so it sounds like you'd have no problem getting a set of six at $25 each.

I'm off to sulk.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:56 PM
Hossrod
Junior User
The rims I mentioned before from ebay show model number WHFD166-80E. I google this and found a few places selling them. Also found a few forum posts about people mentioning them for older trucks. However, all the places that sell them list them as trailer wheels. Can they be used on a truck? Not sure whats different between trailer and truck wheels if they dimensionaly fit and have proper load rating.

Still trying to track down some used ones.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I would make sure they fit over the hubs.