Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 65 bed off now stripped/primed & painted zero rust

underneath the bed stripped primed and painted

underneath the bed stripped primed and painted

Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 AM
hello113
Mountain Pass
what? must have been photoshopped looks to good!
nice bed
mike

Old 09-19-2018, 11:55 AM
65navyf100
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, looks awesome! I know there would be alot of people, including myself would love to hear more about your methods and what you used.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:13 PM
missrankin
New User
VERY NICE! Just took our bed off...so the grinding, metal prep and painting begins!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 PM
yargnitram
Tuned
more photos of my 65 bed paint process

you would not believe this bed,its a Californian truck with original bed no dents and was still in original underseal with red lead primer underneath,it took me a week to remove the black underseal working 4 hours a day.some more photies.

here is the paint i used my mate has been using this stuff in sea /tanks environments for years and so long as you take reasonable care with the application and using the right primers either by brush or spray, (i sprayed it on)which this is my first time with spraying anything but it came out great for my first time,just need to put a ppg top coat on so it matches the outer body paint exactly,

here it is half scrapped,this is the best 1965 bed i have ever seen don't you just love California rust free bed,

this is the red primer that ford used,

the tool i used to remove 90% of the original black factor underseal,came of a breeze mostly and went over with a wire brush where necessary

need to finish with top coat,this is the altex finish which was mixed to nearly the same shade as the outer body finish,just need a PPG topcoat then drowned it in fish oil/cavity wax

here is the top side using the same paint and primer,i just need to do the wimbledon white what a fantastic bed no dents no rust and should now last another 50 years,this had that terrible black bed liner in it which i am so glad i removed as it was starting to rust underneath in the joints and if i had left it bang this immaculte bed would have been no more,so be warned that stuff looks good but take my word it will be starting to rust,this is not very practical as a usable finish.

just gave the chassis a coat of special black anti rust coating,

Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 PM
yargnitram
Tuned
i will put more photos as i put the bed on,engine and gearbox out next so i can do engine bay then maybe the cab off after i used it in the summer,these beds are sure high when stood on end,when i first imported this into NZ ,i had to remove the camper helper spring as the man at the import pass station said they where after market (********). i even showed him the original parts book with the photos of the springs but he still wouldn't have it so i asked him what do i need to do to pass he said i would need to take them off and after it passed inspection if i wanted refit them,also my truck is fitted with front twin piston calipers and large brake disc and power steering which i know is not original but hey its fantastic in Auckland traffic,he also made me change my front disc as they where below minimum thickness so i got the book out checked the thickness with a micrometer (which he couldn't read)and they where only a 1/16 down on new ones but he still made me get new ones to pass inspection and guess what cost me about 80$each but over 400 for posting from California to nz,don't you just love these experts but hey its all legal,its been here about 5 years but only used it for the first two so that's why i thought i would give it the love it deserves

Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 AM
yargnitram
Tuned
just ordered a few parts from carolina classic what a fantastic guy Rick is, he has gone out of his way to help me get the parts i need,i broke one of my side trim clips and caught the front chrome trim on my way out of the garage he has all of these in stock and i phoned him at the weekend and he emailed me back monday morning with prices and rough shipping cost which i must say where very reasonable and after i left him a message (time differance)he shipped them tuesday morning,its just nice to get contact from suppliers it amazing how many people i have emailed for parts for the truck or my jensen interceptor just to have no contact or they say do not ship out of state,which i am not sure how these people expect to grow their business with the world of the internet,i would also like to say that all my ford friends in the carolinas that they managed to get through the storms ok and are in my families thoughts,

Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
That bed is amazing!
I will be pulling my bed off soon to start metal work. It is a South Carolina truck but it was used as a work truck so the bed floor had rot, and then a large patch over it all. I haven't tried finding them yet, but I need one or two of the bed cross-members that weld to the bed, and bolt to the frame. I know I have 1 that rotted and broke in the front as the right front of the bed dropped. I cut the bed bolts with a torch so it is sitting loose now. Hopefully pretty soon I will get the time to pull the bed and flip it over and begin the rebuild process. If i can't source the bed parts I will have to fabricate then. Shouldn't be bad, but it is nice when you have the right parts in hand! Makes things go along a bit quicker!
I can't believe how perfect your bed is. That is really impressive! And it looks like you are doing a great job at keeping it that way!