2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

BW or OEM Gooseneck Hitch and Functionality of OEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Race Red F-250
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BW or OEM Gooseneck Hitch and Functionality of OEM

Current F-250 did not come equipped with the OEM factory gooseneck hitch (I’ve heard it referred to as the pucks). The OEM GN does not look difficult to install and it appears the factory has dimple marks in the bed of the pick-up to identify where holes are to be cut for installation.

The OEM pucks seem very seamless and it’s nice to be able to install the caps and have it closed up. Or at least that’s how it appears.

Curious what those who have and have used the OEM GN hitch set up think about it. Any benefit to OEM versus BW?

Any pics illustrating how OEM system works would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a B&W on my last 2 trucks and this one has the "puck" system, which for your information is a Reese and also used on a Ram .. Both have very similar concepts, the "hitch" mounts to the frame below the bed and when not in use are able to be "hidden" from use. I think the plastic caps for the Reese system are a bit cheesy and wonder how long they will actually last, the B&W has 1 mount point and the ball turns over and sits flush.. the B&W in my mind is a much heaver built product and is simple to install and has been recognized for decades as a industry leader
I was looking at 2 trucks on the lot, the one I bought has the factory system, the other did not, if I had bought the other truck I would have put another B&W in it

Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a B&W on my 2014 and upgraded to a 2018 off the lot with the pucks. If I had to install one it would be the B&W, I miss being able to flip the ball over instead of having to find a place to store it..

Old 09-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had the B&W in the last truck - self installed. Have the OEM Reese in this one. I prefer the Reese. But I live in NY and have yet to give my 2 yr old truck a single bath. I always had to keep the B&W lubed up, or I couldn't get the ball back out when it was in storage mode. Also, the retaining rod would mud/rust up in the spring and I'd have to bang on it a touch to get it to be free so that I knew it was engaging.

That said, the B&W was definitely well built. And the instructions couldn't be beat for installation. And if I lived somewhere without the salt, it may be perfectly fine.

Oh - and my plastic caps for the Reese - after 2 years of throwing sliding crap in the bed - they don't have a mark on them, and still require a screwdriver to pry them out.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If all you ever need is the Gooseneck ball, then hands down B&W. Had the turnover ball setup on my last truck and works great. The Ford OEM solution is the Reese underbed system - very little to no difference between the two. I have the OEM on this truck - works great, but would only recommend going that route if you think you may need for a 5er hitch. If you do go with the Reese or OEM solution... skip the Ford hitch ball - it is just a rebranded Reese ball & anchor kit (albeit in a box instead of a bag) and get the B&W ball for the Ford OEM solution - much better design IMO.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:34 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I have installed both and the the OEM ford system is MUCH heavier. Set them side by side and you will see. B&W is heavy flat bar and angle iron. FORD is heavy wall tube and cast steel
To remove the ball the B&W needs to pull a lever in the wheel well and climb in the bed to pull the ball. Been a few times that the latch reliesed on its own and had to climb back out of the truck to reset it.
Ford is all done in the bed.
I know some have said the ford system is the same as the Reese. It might be made by reese, but it is different.
what I really like is the 5th wheel mount. The B&W puth all the pin weight onto the bed. Ford all the weight is loaded directly to the frame by the picks.
last, B&W paint sucks now. I have not seen one that the paint hasn't peeled off and started to rust.
Buy the kit from ford, it about the same price as the Reese, but the Ford is better.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:35 PM
N2dunz
Senior User
OEM in my current truck.
B&W in my last 2.
OEM electrical hook up is hands down far superior to anything aftermarket.
I don't use a GN, so doesn't matter to me.
The Companion Base for the OEM setup is much smaller than the unit that comes with the B&W turnover ball hitch.
Easier to move around.
Maybe an extra 3 min to install since you have to rotate 4 cams instead of dropping 1 shank into the hitch and inserting the pin.
The electrical hook up is what sold me on the OEM.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:15 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by N2dunz
OEM in my current truck.
B&W in my last 2.
The Companion Base for the OEM setup is much smaller than the unit that comes with the B&W turnover ball hitch.
Easier to move around.
Maybe an extra 3 min to install since you have to rotate 4 cams instead of dropping 1 shank into the hitch and inserting the pin.
the companion hitch takes a lot longer to hook up. First the adapter needs to go where the turn over ball was. Then set the companion base in place. Then torque down the draw bar bolt, then torque down the 2 u bolts (4 nuts).

Old 09-19-2018, 06:46 AM
N2dunz
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobv60
the companion hitch takes a lot longer to hook up. First the adapter needs to go where the turn over ball was. Then set the companion base in place. Then torque down the draw bar bolt, then torque down the 2 u bolts (4 nuts).
huh?

if u r telling me like I don’t know, I used one for 10+ years.

What u r describing is not every time.
Especially if u don’t take the base out.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
OEM in my current truck.
B&W in my last 2.
Easier to move around.

huh?

if u r telling me like I don’t know, I used one for 10+ years.

What u r describing is not every time.
Especially if u don’t take the base out.
you said the OEM takes longer to completly remove, I pointed out it doesn't. I am sorry if you took it wrong.
either way, I will stand buy my opinion that the OEM is better than the B&W.
and, in response to an earlier post. The Dodge/Ram OEM prep kit is not the same as the Ford.
same principle, but different style and different mounting dimensions to the 5th wheel mount.
I do not know if the gooseneck ***** are interchangeable, but the 5th wheel hitches are not.