Sponsored by:

Excursion spring swap VS thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Soa95yj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion spring swap VS thoughts

So I’m searching for a set of springs to swap into my 2004 excursion everything I read about it says the VB swap is the way to go. Having trouble turning up a set of the springs in my area. This morning I stumbled upon a set of springs out of an 03 F350. However they are marked on the door jam VS. would these work? I cannot find any reference to using that rear springs code on an excursion

Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Squirrel13
Laughing Gas
Received 248 Likes on 143 Posts
I was confused on the springs as well. I called Junior at ATS. He was very helpful in determining what I should get. Here is what I ordered

https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/

Replacement V code Leaf Spring Kit - FRONT
Kit Includes:
-Leaf Springs
-Spring Eye Bolts
-Replacement U-bolts
-Replacement Shackles

Replacement C code Leaf Spring Kit - REAR
-Leaf Springs
-Spring Eye Bolts
-Replacement U-bolts
-Replacement Shackles

Bilstein 4600 Series Front Shock (Blue and Yellow)

Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
loganj01
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
"The S code is almost identical to a B code with a helper on top. The B code has a 7/8" higher free arch than the S code. I don't think aftermarket even makes these springs because they are so close to the B codes.
-Junior"

Found this here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ar-spring.html

Old 09-18-2018, 02:34 PM
RCB1125
Freshman User
New to Excursions... what is the benefit of an "S" spring?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:44 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by RCB1125
New to Excursions... what is the benefit of an "S" spring?
Assuming S Rear spring. Need more info.
Compared to the stock Excursion? or
Compared to the B spring?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Soa95yj
New User
So I guess my question is should I try to pick up this VS set of springs? Will the s go in the back without having to make it a modified pack like the b? Should I grab the rear blocks to?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
I’d go for it if the price is right. Either way, modded S route or with the F350 blocks. Maybe get everything, takes some measurements of the 2 scenarios, order your u-bolts and sell off the blocks if you don’t use them.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:20 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Soa95yj
So I guess my question is should I try to pick up this VS set of springs? Will the s go in the back without having to make it a modified pack like the b? Should I grab the rear blocks to?
The original idea behind the "mod" to the B springs was to maintain the same amount of rake as factory, so with the taller front V codes the two shortest EX leaves were added to the Bs to make up that added height. They do also add a little to the modded springs rating.
What exactly is your goal? Looking for a little lift for looks? To mount taller tire's? Improved towing and hauling?
Where in PA are you? You can go to your "User CP" and add your location so it shows on each post like mine does.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 AM
RCB1125
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wpnaes

Assuming S Rear spring. Need more info.
Compared to the stock Excursion? or
Compared to the B spring?
I've read a few people talking about VS spring swaps but even in searches I can seem to find what the benefit of it is. I see the come from the regular truck line but does that give a lift, better capacity, both or some other aspect I don't know about?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
RCB, the main benefit is the added spring capacity/handling. The X was designed for soccer moms. The ride, however, is too soft...handling issues (steering wander), rear spring sag (single rate springs in the back).

When you go to V codes, you raise the front 2 inches. It also stiffens the ride considerably, and helps with wander on the highway.
When you go to a B,C or S code rear, you are going from a single rate spring to a dual rate spring...just like a pickup. You increase your load carrying capacity, and that eliminates some sag when towing a trailer. It also raises the rear 2 inches or so if you modify the spring per the instructions in the tech folder. You cannot use the helper spring on top, as it will interfere with the A/C lines running under the passenger side along the frame.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:09 AM
RCB1125
Freshman User
Ok. Thanks! Mine rides like a log truck as it is. I wonder if someone may have swapped springs already as it has a brake controller as well. I'll have to do more reading.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
The ride, however, is too soft...handling issues (steering wander),

When you go to V codes, you raise the front 2 inches. It also stiffens the ride considerably, and helps with wander on the highway.
just to be clear on how and why that is.

the factory ride being soft was a function of the shock package they used and not the springs. The factory spring rates are the correct spring rate and putting a higher rate doesn’t really increase the GVWR much because the limiting factor is the GAWR. The real reason people do the whole Ford Spring code swap is because in the beginning people were pulling them out of junk yards and it was a way to identify what springs to get. The whole basis of the swap is the f250 spring has a taller Arch and gives 8” of travel and the Ex spring has 5.5”

when people switch to a taller arched spring like the V up front the reason they think it is stiff is because they usually switch to a shock with more compression dampening at the same time. If they choose a shock with less compression dampening they would still have a softer ride.

As for wander, replacing a sagged front spring back to factory height or higher will restore the axles correct orientation which will put the caster back to around 3* which is the point at which the Ex begins to track straight with no wander

Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Soa95yj
New User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS

The original idea behind the "mod" to the B springs was to maintain the same amount of rake as factory, so with the taller front V codes the two shortest EX leaves were added to the Bs to make up that added height. They do also add a little to the modded springs rating.
What exactly is your goal? Looking for a little lift for looks? To mount taller tire's? Improved towing and hauling?
Where in PA are you? You can go to your "User CP" and add your location so it shows on each post like mine does.
Goal is I need to mount my Meyers plow upfront so I need to upgrade springs. Also looking to tow better. Don’t car about looks for to about performance to me. Sold my 6.0 F250 so the x is now my do it all vehicle.

btw in Pocono lake pa

Old 09-21-2018, 12:29 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Back when my knees allowed for skiing we used to stay in Pocono Lake at a rental for long weekends with a group.
Just as point of reference, the Super Duty pickups with the snow plow prep package got the heavier duty X code front leaf springs, something you may want to consider if mounting a plow on the EX.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 AM
Soa95yj
New User
Tom correct me if I’m wrong but the x springs bring even more lift correct? I don’t want to go to high as I want it to stay at a reasonable tire size. Already have two jeeps on 35s and want to avoid all that comes with running tires that size.

Quick Reply: Excursion spring swap VS thoughts