Sponsored by:

1990 351w Bronco Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:57 AM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1990 351w Bronco Questions

Hey all, I just recently acquired a 1990 Eddie Bauer edition Bronco with the 351w in it, and I have a few questions about it.

I'm looking to slowly build up the engine as I daily drive it, and looking for some suggestions. I have a shop, and am mechanically competent, although I am not very familiar with the 351w engines. A few things I am thinking about doing so far are: Headers + exhaust, advance timing to 12*, deleting smog + egr systems, upgrade ignition system and injectors. So here are my questions.

Where would the best place to start be? I have read that advancing the timing to 12* is a good first step.

I plan on getting some long tube headers (most seem to recommend these over shortys) and building a free flowing exhaust / deleting the CAT. is there any advantage over true duals versus converging to 1?

I read that deleting the smog pump and the egr system can be beneficial. Any truth in this? (Have no emissions where I live.)

I have seen the subject of cams pop up over and over, but am unfamiliar with how big of a job it would be. Can it be done with the engine in the vehicle? And how big of a job is it? 1 day, 2 days? Also, when doing a cam, is there anything else that should be done at the same time, or perhaps is there a kit that one could suggest?

Any other upgrades / ideas are welcome.

My goal is to get over 300HP.

Thanks in advance!

-Zach

Old 09-16-2018, 11:53 AM
BigBlue 94
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990FRANKENTRUCK
Hey all, I just recently acquired a 1990 Eddie Bauer edition Bronco with the 351w in it, and I have a few questions about it.

I'm looking to slowly build up the engine as I daily drive it, and looking for some suggestions. I have a shop, and am mechanically competent, although I am not very familiar with the 351w engines. A few things I am thinking about doing so far are: Headers + exhaust, advance timing to 12*, deleting smog + egr systems, upgrade ignition system and injectors. So here are my questions.

Where would the best place to start be? I have read that advancing the timing to 12* is a good first step.

I plan on getting some long tube headers (most seem to recommend these over shortys) and building a free flowing exhaust / deleting the CAT. is there any advantage over true duals versus converging to 1?

I read that deleting the smog pump and the egr system can be beneficial. Any truth in this? (Have no emissions where I live.)

I have seen the subject of cams pop up over and over, but am unfamiliar with how big of a job it would be. Can it be done with the engine in the vehicle? And how big of a job is it? 1 day, 2 days? Also, when doing a cam, is there anything else that should be done at the same time, or perhaps is there a kit that one could suggest?

Any other upgrades / ideas are welcome.

My goal is to get over 300HP.

Thanks in advance!

-Zach
You will never get 300 HP on the factory speed density computer. It limits you to factory injectors, a cam with an LSA of 114 or more, and a few other things.

long tubes and shorties are comparable until you reach 400 HP or so, then long tubes take over.

The 90 still used a flat tappet cam as well.

Ignition can be upgraded slightly with a hotter coil and better wires. Timing can be adjusted slightly, but you need to do so with the SPOUT connector removed.

smog stuff is good if it's all functioning correctly, but not necessary. It doesn't really rob much power either.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
What transmission does the truck have? If it's a manual, C6 or AOD you have the option of doing a MAF conversion using a Mustang PCM which is tunable and that will accomodate adding as much power as you want.

As the truck stands now you do a cam upgrade(Crane 444232) add exhaust and bump the timing but that is about it, this will wake it up quite nicely though.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 PM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hey guys, sorry for the long period between post and reply, life sucked me in for a while. So here's an update.

I changed the plugs and wires, and noticed a 20-25% increase in fuel mileage, as well as a significant increase in power and smoother shifting. I believe that one or more of the plugs had gone bad and that the truck was not running on all cylinders. One came out in pieces, the plugs / wires were all motorcraft, and the once black spark plug boots had turned white with age and countless heat cycles. I wouldn't be surprised if they were original, the plugs had enough corrosion on them to strengthen my suspicion.

I have a new high output coil, cap and rotor on the way, and my next plan will be to get a set of long tube headers to replace the stock manifolds and then build a more free flowing exhaust system with no CATS and one muffler, 3" all the way through.

To be honest, after seeing how much the engine woke up from just the plugs and wires, I don't feel as if I will need to do too much more to the engine before moving on to other things (manual swap, body and paint, etc). Once I finish the exhaust system, and maybe add a cam down the road, I will probably be quite content with the power under my foot.

@BigBlue 94 regarding

<<You will never get 300 HP on the factory speed density computer. It limits you to factory injectors, a cam with an LSA of 114 or more, and a few other things.

long tubes and shorties are comparable until you reach 400 HP or so, then long tubes take over. >>

Well then, what is the sound difference between long tubes and shorties? And if I don't plan on going much over 300HP, then what would be the difference between which one I choose?

And @Conanski It has an E40D in it currently, but it is sitting on my shop floor out of the truck at the moment due to a seal blowing last Friday, and after some research and consideration, I am deadset on a manual swap down the road. For now, the seal will be replaced, filter changed, lines flushed, etc, but you can be sure that I'll be hunting through my local junkyards and used ads for a donor truck. (Too bad all my parts trucks are diesels..)

Can you tell me more about the mustang MAF conversion that you mentioned though? Even a link would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Zach