1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Go figure
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Wobble

I have a 2014 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, going over bridge decks or pot holes at 65-70 noticed wobble in the front end. Researching this blew my mind. I know guys out there are have had this issue. It's been going on for years. My Question for you guys is do you have it and what did you do to correct it. I wrote to William Ford and the NHTSA haven't heard back from either one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys. .

Old 09-15-2018, 01:39 PM
NoelCT
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mr figure,

Interesting. In my F-250 full bed super cab I had weird control loss once or twice. On a slow (35-40 mph) country road I went through a series of patched and un-patched potholes, on a slight turn. The front end felt like it was hydroplaning. It was kind of like I was riding on marbles instead of dry bumpy asphalt. I thought that maybe shocks (vibration dampers) may need replacement. I've never experienced that in any other vehicle I've driven.

Is my description close or different to what you experienced?

,Noel.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Go figure
New User
You didn't specify what year ur truck was. Mines a 2014 super duty 51000 miles on it. I put new shocks, sway bar and steering stabalizer on it along with a new set of destination a/t's on it and it still feels loose. That's the best way i can describe it. Reading some info i gathered they say it's more likely with 20 inch tires. I googled (2014 F250 super duty front end issues), and i was floored!

Old 09-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I would suggest adding some castor to the truck.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:33 PM
NoelCT
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Go figure
You didn't specify what year ur truck was.
'06 Gasser, bone stock, 135,000 m, I assume stock (original) stabilizers and shocks. I do not see this as a big problem to me-it only happened once, maybe trice. But I'm aware and keeping an eye out for more instances. What bothers me is having my boys take truck out and experience it. I'm not sure if their reaction/skill would pull them out of trouble, should there be any.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2006 F350 diesel has done it twice to me at low speeds.
Last time it shook so hard my wrists hurt from hanging on to it.
I let other people that work for me drive this truck, its a worry everytime it goes out.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Go figure
New User
What do u mean, adding some castor to it. Not sure what that is.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Caster angle. Google it. I lifted my truck 2.5 in the front and used 4" radius arm drop brackets to increase Caster. It fell in spec on the high side which is what you want. Steering feels solid but also returns to center nicely

Old 09-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Go figure
New User
10-4 i'll do that. Thanks man

Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do a search on "Death Wobble". I put together a thread on what folks have done to solve the problem. In doing the research for the thread it seems that for some there's not 1 silver bullet, usually a combination of things that solve the issue. I approached my issue with the most common fixes 1st, the trackbar ball joint and bushing fixed my 2013.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:37 PM
TXKR
Senior User
I recently traded a 2015 CCSB 6.7L that was a flawless truck until a month before I sold it and a bridge caused the DW. The local dealer wanted to argue that the dry tie rod ends I found were not worn and sent me on my way telling me there was no wear or misalignment. I then installed new Rancho 9000s and a steering stabilizer and that helped, but it then happened again a month later. That time it was far worse and my wife was driving (literally to the dealership to trade it for the new '18.) She wound up in the center grass median at 70mph and us both trying to wrestle 6500lbs to a halt. It could have been a disaster. I am convinced that problem was steering component wear but I can't be sure. The truck never ever one time ever exhibited such behavior in 82k miles, much less even a hint of road surface input into the steering wheel. Sadly, my brand new '18 feels far looser than that '15, I can feel and see every bump in the road in the steering wheel. I have been doing some homework and have found my '15 had 5600 front springs and the stiffer Rancho-branded shocks as part of the trailer towing and FX4 packages. It had race car-like steering which always amazed me for such a big truck. This new truck has 5200 lb front coils and what feels like much softer shocks. So I am going to upgrade coils to the 5600 lbs to start and add Fox shocks and stabilizer and see if I can replicate the handling and feel of the '15 as a starting point. But if I had kept that '15, I would have looked really hard at tie rod ends, drag link joints, bushings and then finally shocks and stabilizer. Given this DW issue has plagued these trucks for a decade +, I think just replacing shocks or installing a stiffer stabilizer is just masking a bigger problem. Just my 2 cents....

Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Go figure
New User
Good stuff guy's, thank you. Ya what a shame, Pay all that money for these damn trucks and then this happens, I've wrote to William Ford, and the NTSB about this issue and haven't heard back from either. Something really needs to be done about this. I'm going to install 5100 bilsteins along with a steering stabalizer on mine, iv'e read that helps. We'll see.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Add 2.5 degrees caster bushings and be done, as long as all your other components are not worn out. My truck drives like a dream with 37's. Stock shocks(with extensions), stock trac bar(with drop bracket), stock steering stabilizer.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:50 PM
mayday713
New User
myFIGURE...

2018??? AND YOUR GONNA HAVE TO ALREADY BE TWEAKING ON FRONT END??? I AGREE THE RESULTS AFTER SEARCHING "DEATH WOBBLE" ARE QUITE AMAZING. I WAS PASSENGER WITH MY BROTHER FIRST TIME HIS 06 4x4 MEGACAB(Dodge) DEATH WOBBLED, I BOUGHT A 2005 F350 SUPER DUTY 4x4 CREW CAB LIFTED, VERY SHARP LOOKING TRUCK!!! GUESS WHAT, I HIT 65MPH ON DALLAS TOLL ROAD, HEADING HOME, AND IT'S A DAM WONDER SUMONE DIDN'T GET HURT, SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME, AND I WAS SO PISSED. Ford should really be ashamed to have not improved by now.
WE ARE BOUT TO START ON FRONT END. JUST GOT DUNN REPLACING FAN CLUTCH AND WATER PUMP, NO DOUBT THE WATER PUMP WAS CULPRIT FOR OVERHEATING, PLASTIC FAN WAS COMPLETELY BROKE LOOSE SO NO WATER WAS MOVING!!! WE DID REPLACE WITH METAL (ALUMINUM, I THINK)

Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM
TXKR
Senior User
Originally Posted by mayday713
2018??? AND YOUR GONNA HAVE TO ALREADY BE TWEAKING ON FRONT END???
I was in the car business for many years and learned that it's going to take a death or two and a lawsuit suit to remedy this problem on a larger scale. For my sanity its easier to spend a few hundred bucks beefing up the front coils and adding some better shocks and then just keep an eye on it. If it was a multi-thousand dollar issue that I could prove with data, I'd be all over Ford via my dealer. But I am not going to go sit in a service drive with folks tha have, after a decade, been unable to positively resolve this. If Ford knew how to resolve this, all dealerships would have that knowledge. Even the TSB from a few years back wasn't a conclusive repair, it was just a series of dart-throws to try and remedy the issue. I do agree incorrect caster is likely a big contributor to the issue, and once I decide on final ride height based on spring changes, I will align it to the caster values most guys here are noting as working best.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble