1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2000 Ranger will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ranger will not start

2.5L 2WD automatic - Went to work this morning no problems, at the end of the day ready to leave and truck would not start. Appears battery is fine all accessories radio lights working etc.. turn ignition and and one click but engine does not turn over. First thought is starter solenoid. Does that sound right? Is there anything I should do before I pull the starter? Thanks

Old 09-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
Where is the starter solenoid/relay? I know what it looks like or I think I know what it looks like but cannot see it on the fender or firewall?

Old 09-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass

this is what I am looking for right?

Old 09-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You should check all fuses/relays associated with the starting system and ignition system first. Look in your 2000 Ranger Owners Manual under the "Roadside Emergencies" section for diagrams and descriptions of the fuse/relays in the Passenger Compartment fuse panel, as well as the Power Distribution Box located under the hood.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
I checked all fuses that have to do with the starting system and they are good but the relays, how do you check the relays?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If you want the long version of testing automotive relays, then do an internet search, there are some very good videos on that subject. My way of testing them is to swap in another relay that is known to be good.

You mentioned you checked the starting system fuses, how about those associated with the ignition system?

Another thing to think about is the ignition switch itself...sometimes they can fail at the key/column area. Have you tried starting it in neutral?

Somewhat related to that, does your Ranger have PATS ("passive anti-theft system")? They are usually quite reliable but problems can occur. See for example https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t1359_ds35945

I can't recall right now if our vintage Rangers have a stand-alone starter solenoid, or if the solenoid is integral to the starter itself...hopefully someone will chime in and confirm.

Some food for thought, hope it helps.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
I tried to start in neutral and no dice. Assume same result in neutral means ignition switch is ok (switch in column)?
I am leaning towards pulling starter and taking to Advanced Auto. Any reason it could not be the starter? The single click is still there.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
Rockledge I appreciate your help.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:09 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I would recommend the long, lost art of troubleshooting. In this case, with a $5 test light.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
Assume multi-meter will work and will be looking for 12VDC? Where do I start? Where can I find a schematic of the start/Ignition circuit?

Old 09-13-2018, 08:25 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Plug in your ELM scantool into the in cabin DLC port & running FORScan diagnostic freeware on the viewing device of your choice as discussed here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html, as its tweaked for Fords & can scan All of the onboard computer/controllers, including the PATS anti-theft system for trouble code clues that can help focus a trouble shoot, then post All code Numbers.
For no cost Wiring & TSB info, enter your vehicle particulars & click on wiring diagrams here BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams
As Rockledge suggested, check the starter relay as they are a common problem part. It's in the under hood battery junction box, driver side, back against the firewall/fender location. Give the relay a wiggle/thump test to see if it'll wake up, or swap it with a known good relay as Rockledge suggested.
If still no joy, perform a wiggle test on the wiring to the starter motor & or give it a thump test with a piece of wood & see if it'll wake up.
More trouble shooting thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
Thank you Pawpaw - BBB Industries wiring diagrams are very helpful! Fuses checked SAT (Starter), don't know how to check the starter relay, but power must be getting down to the starter (assuming the click that I hear is the starter engaging just not turning).

Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
If you can feel the starter solenoid pulling in, then thump the starter motor with a piece of wood & see if it'll wake up & run. If so, suspect the solenoid high amp contacts that run the starter motor are eroded & making poor contact, or maybe worn starter motor brushes, or starter motor commutator is worn, if a thump will make it wake up & run.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
I will give the starter motor a thump after work and let you know if that works. Thank you

Old 09-13-2018, 01:17 PM
Caldwell F150
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Plug in your ELM scantool into the in cabin DLC port & running FORScan diagnostic freeware on the viewing device of your choice as discussed here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html, as its tweaked for Fords & can scan All of the onboard computer/controllers, including the PATS anti-theft system for trouble code clues that can help focus a trouble shoot, then post All code Numbers.
For no cost Wiring & TSB info, enter your vehicle particulars & click on wiring diagrams here BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams
As Rockledge suggested, check the starter relay as they are common problem parts. It's in the under hood battery junction box, driver side, back against the firewall/fender location. Give the relay a wiggle/thump test to see if it'll wake up, or swap it with a known good relay as Rockledge suggested.
If still no joy, perform a wiggle test on the wiring to the starter motor & or give it a thump test with a piece of wood & see if it'll wake up.
More trouble shooting thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.
I found the starter relay yesterday and pulled it out and put it back in, wiggled it and still no crank. Also it is not like what I remember it looking like (pic above) In reference to what Rockledge said about swapping with a known good relay are there any other relays in the battery junction box that are identical to this one that I can swap? I thought there was another relay that looked like the starter relay?

Quick Reply: 2000 Ranger will not start