2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2012 Expedition - Trunk Opens and closes on its own

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:02 PM
jlacro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Expedition - Trunk Opens and closes on its own

2012 Expedition
Trunk opens and closes on its own
Please advise

Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 PM
2011expedition
New User
I had a similar issue. It only happened when it rained. We had a water leak somewhere in the front firewall that leaked rain water into the passenger floorboard and would soak the carpet. The water/moisture caused a short and would open the lift gate. We had the leak sorted out by a body shop and the lift gate never opened on its own again. Not sure this is what’s happening in your situation, but maybe check the passenger floor for any water leaks.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Tocwby
New User
Me too

I am having this issue right now. It is raining but I have not found any water that breached the interior of the passenger compartment. Both driver and passenger side are dry.

The alarm is going off in the middle of the night because the back hatch is opening. I removed fuse 36 to get some sleep but cannot find the problem. I know it's not my fob because the alarm is triggered.

Suggestions?

Old 09-24-2018, 11:24 AM
2011expedition
New User
Originally Posted by Tocwby
I am having this issue right now. It is raining but I have not found any water that breached the interior of the passenger compartment. Both driver and passenger side are dry.

The alarm is going off in the middle of the night because the back hatch is opening. I removed fuse 36 to get some sleep but cannot find the problem. I know it's not my fob because the alarm is triggered.

Suggestions?
We had that exact issue! We were getting moisture that was triggering the hatch to open. It was wet under the carpet right by the passenger fuse box. Did you pull the panels and carpet back to confirm it’s dry there? We took ours to a body and collision shop. They found a leak under the hood near the passenger firewall that was leaking rain water into the passenger floorboard. Don’t know exactly where they found the leak, but they filled it with silicone (or something) that stopped the leak and the problem never returned. Definitely confirm under the carpet and insulation foam is dry.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Tocwby
New User
Originally Posted by 2011expedition

We had that exact issue! We were getting moisture that was triggering the hatch to open. It was wet under the carpet right by the passenger fuse box. Did you pull the panels and carpet back to confirm it’s dry there? We took ours to a body and collision shop. They found a leak under the hood near the passenger firewall that was leaking rain water into the passenger floorboard. Don’t know exactly where they found the leak, but they filled it with silicone (or something) that stopped the leak and the problem never returned. Definitely confirm under the carpet and insulation foam is dry.

I pulled the carpet and pad back today and nothing. Dry as a bone. I had the fuse plugged in while i checked and of course, nothing. It is not raining today. I did notice the windshield cowl has a crack in it on the passenger side. I could replace that side of the cowling but still there was no water inside the passenger compartment on either side. I even stuck my fingers down the low part behind the fuse box and nothing.

I am at a loss!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM
2011expedition
New User
Originally Posted by Tocwby
I pulled the carpet and pad back today and nothing. Dry as a bone. I had the fuse plugged in while i checked and of course, nothing. It is not raining today. I did notice the windshield cowl has a crack in it on the passenger side. I could replace that side of the cowling but still there was no water inside the passenger compartment on either side. I even stuck my fingers down the low part behind the fuse box and nothing.

I am at a loss!
I’d say it’s good news that there isn’t water inside the cabin! Another thing to check is the wiring that goes along the floorboards under the plastic panels at the door entry points. You might want to pull the panels back and check for any shorting out wires. Keep the tailgate closed and start gently wiggling any exposed wires and harness’ to see if that triggers the gate to open. The difficult part about this problem is that it’s hard to replicate and trace down. We at least had the leak that was most likely causing the gate to open. Once the water leak was fixed the door functioned normally and never set off the alarm again. Hope you figure out what’s causing it. Good luck!