2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone ceramic coat their trucks???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 01:43 PM
banditg2000
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ceramic coat their trucks???

I'm scheduled to have my 2019 ceramic coated on Tuesday. Has anyone here had theirs done and can share some pictures of the glossiness? Has anyone regretted doing it? I can't think of any reasons not to do it except for the cost. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:04 PM
motocamper
Senior User
I have thought about it. I asked a friend who has a body shop and builds nationally known hot rods, and he said that he wasn't sold on it yet. He said to keep it clean and keep a good wax on it. I do like the idea of a tougher sealant than a wax. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on it, which make it look great. I was quoted about $3k to do a coat and ppf the leading edges of the hood, front fenders, and dually fenders. Definitely report back once it is done...subscribed.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:25 PM
banditg2000
Junior User
Originally Posted by motocamper
I have thought about it. I asked a friend who has a body shop and builds nationally known hot rods, and he said that he wasn't sold on it yet. He said to keep it clean and keep a good wax on it. I do like the idea of a tougher sealant than a wax. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on it, which make it look great. I was quoted about $3k to do a coat and ppf the leading edges of the hood, front fenders, and dually fenders. Definitely report back once it is done...subscribed.
My quote was 3k as well. It will be a clear "bra" covering the hood, fenders, fog lights and those fancy/expensive LED headlights and a "double coat" of ceramic coating on paint alone. The prep work sounds intense. They will have my truck for at least two days to get it done. I'll report back once it's done.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It’s all about the prep work. And it’s all labourious step after step of cleaning and prep. A new truck probably a bit better. The material itself isn’t that expensive, but it’s the time. I am watching too. I have been waxing my truck as well, but am thinking this might be longer lasting between washes. The wax is mostly gone after 3-4 washes.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by motocamper
I am very serious about the external surfaces of my vehicles and have a substantial amount of $$$$$ in equipment, car care products, Big Foot and Little Foot Rupes polisher's, water filtration CR Spotless DIC-20A Large Capacity De-Ionizer, Yamaha Professional 4000 PSI Pressure Washer w/ CAT Pump, Stihl BR700 Blower has a 65cc engine that blows air at such volume and speed can dry (bone dry) a car or truck in 2 or 3 minutes as a few examples.

If the ceramic coating was that good I would have it on my vehicles period end of story..... It is not for me...

Old 08-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CQuartz ceramic cote. ‘18 F350 Lariat Stone Gray.
Florida heat and dust. It gives me a head start keeping up with this big azz truck.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
I’m scheduled for Ziebart ceramic when my truck comes in. Haven’t seen as many reviews of the Ziebart product and process as other systems... fingers crossed

Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 PM
banditg2000
Junior User
Originally Posted by Larrymac52
Florida heat and dust. It gives me a head start keeping up with this big azz truck.

NOW THAT'S GLOSSY!!! NICE TRUCK!!

Old 08-26-2018, 06:06 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
But how long will it stay like that, how many months, how many washes. Because it looks awesome, what I am wanting is something that’s good for a few years. Ideally more than a few, but it would be nice to see some product recommendations from folks on their experience.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:15 PM
banditg2000
Junior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
But how long will it stay like that, how many months, how many washes. Because it looks awesome, what I am wanting is something that’s good for a few years. Ideally more than a few, but it would be nice to see some product recommendations from folks on their experience.
My coating will have a 5 year warranty, but will require a yearly visit (included in the price) for inspection/touch ups. If I would have done the single coat it would have been a 3 year warranty. As a side note, the shop I'm going to had a McLaren 720S in the shop and had just finished another McLaren. I saw pictures of their work on a few Ford GT's. These guys know what they are doing.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Larrymac52

This perfectly shows the coating and some people like the look and the not having to polish, seal and wax their paint on a regular basis. Personally it looks like shellac to me seen dozens of vehicles done with several manufacturers. If you like the look and are not into taking care of your paint I will agree that this is a good solution.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by banditg2000
My coating will have a 5 year warranty, but will require a yearly visit (included in the price) for inspection/touch ups. If I would have done the single coat it would have been a 3 year warranty. As a side note, the shop I'm going to had a McLaren 720S in the shop and had just finished another McLaren. I saw pictures of their work on a few Ford GT's. These guys know what they are doing.
What brand coating are you getting?

I had my black 2017 done just a little less than a month after purchase and it just went in for it's yearly inspection. The only downside to a ceramic coating, is if you want to keep it spotless and pristine, automatic car washes are out. Your gonna have to hand wash it with the two bucket method for best results.

My truck was in the shop about a week for prep and multiple layers of coating including all glass, plastic and wheels. I can tell you that when I hit the wheels with a pressure washer you can see the brake dust run down the driveway and the wheels require no special cleaning after that. I did invest in a water deionizer which allows me to wash the truck more often even in the sun as it does not dry with any water spots what so ever. This was my first coating and I'll have everything coated from here on out. My installer uses Ceramic Pro and I paid just over 1K. I sometimes go a month between washes and unless you get up close you can barely tell it's dirty.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:13 PM
mwardncsu
New User
Very nice truck @Larrymac52

I also did CQuartz on my 2016 F150 - Honestly I don't know if it held up as well as another product I used previously on a car of ours - Optimax Pro or something like that - but you can't get that specific forumla now without an official installer doing the install - which I was not going to spend the $$ on.

It is all about prep - getting ALL the Swirls out with a good compound then polish using a DA machine - and then applying the coating

Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 PM
2manyrides
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my own a week after owning it. Used the carbonflex c9 from chemical guys. I washed the truck , claybared it and then coated it. That was in April, and it still beads water like crazy. For washing, I just use the waterless car wash stuff. Takes me 10 min to wash the truck. I’ll be plowing snow with this truck, so anything I can do to protect the paint more is worth it to me. I’ll be paying on this rig for a long time.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM
brentadams646
Tuned
Received 89 Likes on 41 Posts
Had mine done back in June of 2017. I've had it done to every single vehicle I've owned and can say its well worth the money, especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term. Here are some pictures from the original paint correction and coating, done in June 2017.

Quick Reply: Anyone ceramic coat their trucks???