6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen issues, jackhammering.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Cooperman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen issues, jackhammering.

I am looking at a used 2015 6.7 with 36,xxx miles. My question is does anybody know what percentage of the production run is affected by this condition? The truck has a Carfax that shows a program #17mo4, crankcase ventilation oil separator assembly. I know those are two different things, my point being wouldn't the Carfax also show the regen issues had the truck been taken to a dealer for service?

Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
It is my understanding that the jackhammering issues were resolved by the '15 model year.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
No, the carfax will not show anything to do with the TSB that covered the Jackhammering. It is possible that an OASIS report might show the ECM was updated to the latest software that coffects any problems along with jackhammering and egt sensors.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
With a '15, just take it to a good dealer and pay +/-$100 to get the latest flash, get the 4th %dpf screen, and turn on driving lights. Good to go for a long time!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Cooperman
New User
I guess my question should have been are there good ones and bad ones in regards to the 2015 model year as far as jackhammering is concerned. I have 2011 and a 2012 with the only issues being egts's and a reduct heater, all of which Ford fixed free of charge. It is my understand that Ford has increased the warranty on these items to 10 years,100,000 miles. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OP what is your concern with that issue?

Mine had it and I got it fixed, no problems since other than a DEF level error because a dealer topped off the fluid and confused the system.

Others have had the same issue and had it corrected, and reading these forums I have not seen any problems crop up once these trucks were repaired and/or updated. In fact the issue came and went pretty quick and is rarely discussed anymore.

You can't tell which trucks had it and which ones didn't unless you pull Oasis to see if it had the repair or at the very least had the calibration updated.

Engine warranty hasn't changed on these trucks.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:19 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My '16 just starting doing this, if you're referring to the shudder during light throttle in 6th gear. What's the fix? My dealership was deer in headlights.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
My '16 just starting doing this, if you're referring to the shudder during light throttle in 6th gear. What's the fix? My dealership was deer in headlights.
The trucks for the most part were 2011-2015. TSB 15-0088 covered the 2011-2015's. Check the TSB 16-0041 to see it this might cover your condition.

More reading

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...-power-38.html

Google TSB 16-0041 will bring up the actual TSB.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mechelement
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
The trucks for the most part were 2011-2015. TSB 15-0088 covered the 2011-2015's. Check the TSB 16-0041 to see it this might cover your condition.

More reading

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...-power-38.html

Google TSB 16-0041 will bring up the actual TSB.
Early 16's were also part of this.

But the problem was far more prominent in the 15-early 16 models than it was in the 11-14's. It's a shudder that only happens during regen, and typically early in the regen. Easiest fix is a calibration update that will solve most issues. A more intrusive fix if the problem has been going on for a while is to replace the exhaust valves on the driver's side head along with the calibration update.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:17 AM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooperman
I am looking at a used 2015 6.7 with 36,xxx miles. My question is does anybody know what percentage of the production run is affected by this condition? The truck has a Carfax that shows a program #17mo4, crankcase ventilation oil separator assembly. I know those are two different things, my point being wouldn't the Carfax also show the regen issues had the truck been taken to a dealer for service?
My 2015 had the "jackhammer" issue. A simple dealer computer reflash solved the issue. The crankcase oil seperator assembly has a TSB on it, and Ford replaced mine under powertrain warranty.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Sader
Senior User
I have a 16 and have experienced the jackhammer issue. The TSB states it is possible on vehicles built before Feb. 16.

My dealer was the same deer in the headlights. Show them the TSB and ask for the reflash.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Sader
My dealer was the same deer in the headlights. Show them the TSB and ask for the reflash.
Just my $.02 all dealers should know about this issue and TSB. Anyone that gives you the "deer in the headlight" look probably shouldn't be wrenching in your $70K truck.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Boaterguy
Just my $.02 all dealers should know about this issue and TSB. Anyone that gives you the "deer in the headlight" look probably shouldn't be wrenching in your $70K truck.
I'll play devil's advocate here.....

Dealers get new TSB's..... DAILY.

There are thousands and thousands of them posted across all model lines. This particular issue was one that came and went quickly. Mainly because it was a very noticeable issue by the customer, and a very precise and rapid fix.

The issue died quickly and moved out of dealer's minds. Since then they've been bombarded with other TSB's, recalls, etc. Even more is not all dealers had customers come in for this issue. Some never once saw a single recall for this issue. So it's not surprising that some dealers have forgotten or never knew about it in the first place.

And please don't take this as a slam against Ford or questioning quality concerns, etc. This happens across all vehicle makes.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:32 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I’m not surprised they were deer in the headlights. I’m at the dealer now waiting for a ride out of here. They jotted down the TSB #s and will look into it. I believe the last TSB pertaining to the issue was listed in October of 2016.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1146/runs-ro...50-f-350-f-450

Check that out.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Just got the call from the service manager. This guy knows his stuff for sure. He said he’s dealt with this on a lot of trucks and will not bother trying the PCM flash first because it’s a complete waste of time. Ford used this dealership, plus two others in the US as R&D hamsters to figure out the best permanent solution.

Pull head and upgrade to new design exhaust valves. Reinstall head and everything else. Use the Ford Motorcraft Cetane in your fuel. This dealership was able to eliminate the bucking with the old valve design just by using the Cetane. The Service Manager told me that he recommends it for the new design valves as well.

I asked about reprogramming to use both heads for regen and he said that’s not a viable option. He said all work on any diesel brought into their shop is done by their master tech. I met the master tech before and the guy is legit. The service manager told me when I call in to get my truck maintained and/or serviced, to speak with him directly moving forward. He said his writers are struggling and he doesn’t want me to deal with them anymore.

Quick Reply: Regen issues, jackhammering.