2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Front spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 AM
Dr Matt
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front spoiler

I hated the look of the rediculously tall chin spoiler on the front of my truck, so I took it off & tucked the fog light wiring out of sight. Still didn’t care for the look of the bottom of the bumper and exposed bolts so I planned on just painting it black so it wouldn’t be so noticeable, but decided to cut the spoiler down instead. Bad pic here because it was starting to get dark when I finished, but you can see how much I cut off from one of the remnants below it. Looks much better, at least to me, and now I won’t be afraid to pull all the way up to a tall curb in my 4x4, LOL.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:36 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if your MPG suffered from this modification but that looks pretty cool.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:38 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
I wonder if your MPG suffered from this modification but that looks pretty cool.
There have been a number of threads about replacing or trimming the front spoiler with a shorter one. What I don't recall is, any definitive claims of changes to mileage (MPG). I would also like to hear from someone who tracked any changes to their mileage after changing the height of their front spoiler.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You would have to work very diligently with mileage calcs to determine mpg differences from that mod...probably not possible due to too many variables in driving conditions.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:00 AM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
You'd think the shorter it is the less wind resistance it would have but I'm not sure what it's function is anyway other than to deflect air to the sides on the truck?

Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Dr Matt
Junior User
Spoilers usually reduce wind resistance so if anything it might reduce mileage, but I seriously doubt much for my driving. I’m either in town almost always below 55 mph, or towing my 40’ triple axle trailer so I’m willing to give up whatever this mod costs in mileage for the cleaner look. Maybe my Amp Research folding running boards will add the same amount of mileage this cost, lol.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:59 AM
MPawelek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you use to make a clean cut?

Old 08-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
You would have to work very diligently with mileage calcs to determine mpg differences from that mod...probably not possible due to too many variables in driving conditions.
Well not really possible to do without a wind tunnel lol or computer modeling that has the data for the actual tests and the specific data from the changed part. In military aerospace and you cannot believe what small to most people insignificant changes can make to aerodynamics. May not be but a mph or so but it all depends on speed which means resistance... 55mph = who really cares 80 mph = huge do the math you will see.

For those who do not know the reason for the air dam having more depth than the 2wd is to divert and keep air away from the components on the 4wd that are as aerodynamic as a brick.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:03 PM
skoryd
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good, much cleaner than the big air dam that Ford builds the truck with. I was thinking of going with the 2wd one myself. As far as the fuel mileage comments go, I'm certain there will be a drop. It's designed to cut down on the air turbulence underneath of the truck. On my '12 F150 I removed the spoiler for a better look and I definitely took a hit on mpg.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts
Who the F buys a f250 or any truck for fuel mileage.

Looks good, i cut mine as well.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Dr Matt
Junior User
I used1.5” masking tape on the back to get a line I liked, then cut it with my band saw. A little clean up with my palm finish sander and you would need to get on your hands & kneesto tell it didn’t come that way.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:10 PM
brentadams646
Tuned
Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Or you could just replace it with the OEM part for a cleaner, less "homemade" look..

Old 08-20-2018, 12:25 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
That is not a chin spoiler. That is an air dam. Chin spoilers are installed at the edge of the bodywork, creating a "skirt" of sorts. These air dams are (obviously) installed under the vehicle.

An air dam actually helps to improve fuel economy by diverting the air away from the underside of your vehicle, thus reducing the multiple friction points (all the various components under your vehicle).

It's the same reason that race cars (e.g., NASCAR) have absolute minimal ground clearance.

Have you noticed the air dams underneath the sides of semi trailers that run from front to back and from the bottom of the trailer down to near the ground? Yup. Same science.

Now THIS is a chin spoiler:

Old 08-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Dr Matt
Junior User
Originally Posted by brentadams646
Or you could just replace it with the OEM part for a cleaner, less "homemade" look..

Yeah, that was an option, but took me less time to modify mine than it would have to drive to the dealer and pick up a 2wd "air dam" and this cost $0.... Only reason mine looks "home made" is because it's even shorter than the 2WD version. I actually like the shorter one better. My cut was near perfect and after sanding it looks as good as the factory cut line. You would have to get under the truck looking up at the bottom edge to see any flaw at all. Just thought I'd post it up as another option for those a little more handy and have skills to do this rather than the option we all knew about already, buying a 2WD air dam...

Old 08-20-2018, 01:45 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Just thought I'd post it up as another option for those a little more handy and have skills to do this rather than the option we all knew about already, buying a 2WD air dam...
Well, there have been a number of guys who have already cut theirs down (instead of buying the 2WD version) already, too, so ...

If you can do it for no dollars, why not?

Looks good!

Quick Reply: Front spoiler