Sponsored by: DP Tuner

need advise on vehicle involved in "fender bender""

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:18 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
need advise on vehicle involved in "fender bender""

so my daughter was involved in a fender bender last fri in Boone nc where she goes to school at App State. It was raining, there was a couple cars in front of her and the guy in front of the guy slammed on brakes to make a right turn, she was looking at a truck on the front right side that as in odd place. they stopped and she slammed on brakes and slid into at honda pilot doing damage to teh front of a 2005 hyundai elantra.

I had gotten picture of the car adn though it might be repairable but in getting it home it appears more damage than suspected so now i am trying to figure out how to dispose of the car.

back story.. this is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT that is a dream to drive and with 123K miles would have NO problem going to Florida and back from NC or more.. the motor and trans are in top shape so not wanting to just junk it for 200 buck as the motor and trans are worth at least 600 i believe.

Was wonder if the salvage yards buy cars?? We have a big insurance salvage place here and guy buy the wrecks, fix them up and resale as salvage or rebuild titles.

just asking for advise on what might be good way to go about this.. ( cancelled comp and collision last year as its a 2500 car but now wish i had keep it costing only some 150buck for 6 months) I have taken picture and listed on craigs list. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...671291500.html

Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
This is really an off topic post!

Don't expect much money from either way.
The amount of work necessary to get the car ready to sell again will not make it worth it for, as you put, it's a $2500 car.
My thinking is $500 if you find someone needing the engine and tranny to repair another car. Other than that, it will be scrap metal.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I think you are taking the best route possible in order to see any sort of money out of it. Perhaps list it on Ebay as well as a parts only car.

Facebook Marketplace (my wife listed it) worked well for us when we were selling our 5th wheel a few months back. It is free and local shoppers can see what you have listed.

If worst comes to worst, you can scrap it. In 2011 we were paid $330 for a 1993 Toyota Tercel that had no compression in 3 out of the 4 cylinders. The car had no A/C either. I limped it to a local metal recycling/salvage yard and parked it on the scale. Walked over to the weigh station controller and handed them the title, they handed me the check and that was that.

We had paid $600 for the car 7 years before that...

Old 08-15-2018, 01:26 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
yeah hate to do that to him.. the motor and trans are in great shape. doors etc all good front out of wack is issue. hope someone will need a motor for car in good shape. the sad part is this was/is my favorite car of the three other Hyundai we have.. dude was a beast with torque adn hp for a 2.0L that was awesome. going to miss him

I can park in my drive way and be patient for the right buyer.. as well. time is no my side. plus at scrap yard they bring like 200 bucks..

Originally Posted by Sous
I think you are taking the best route possible in order to see any sort of money out of it. Perhaps list it on Ebay as well as a parts only car.

Facebook Marketplace (my wife listed it) worked well for us when we were selling our 5th wheel a few months back. It is free and local shoppers can see what you have listed.

If worst comes to worst, you can scrap it. In 2011 we were paid $330 for a 1993 Toyota Tercel that had no compression in 3 out of the 4 cylinders. The car had no A/C either. I limped it to a local metal recycling/salvage yard and parked it on the scale. Walked over to the weigh station controller and handed them the title, they handed me the check and that was that.

We had paid $600 for the car 7 years before that...