2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Spare tire lock...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:31 AM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire lock...

Has anyone had issues with their spare tire lock? I bought new shoes for my truck and since they’re oversized (35x12.50x18), I opted for a matching spare. Lock was a tad dirty so I cleaned it up. Winch mechanism lowered fine, but noted another cable which is connected to a hole in the spare wheel & the other end to the frame; not sure of what it is (enlighten me). Maybe I’ll snap a pic before I slide the new spare underneath...

Back to why I posted... the locking mechanism. Yes, it came out easy, putting it back in, well let’s just say I had a few kind words for the Ford engineers. The lock allowed the whole barrel assembly to rotate and wouldn’t seat into the hole. The key (mind you I have a flip key) became stuck in the lock. I got it out after some more words for Ford’s goon squad! So here’s where Ford failed again; I appreciate the lock so nobody can steal your spare (highly unlikely) but why can’t they make something that isn’t junk? At least a different design...

Still under warranty, so I’m taking it to the dealer as it’s under warranty.

Just wanted to know if others have had the same/similar issues...

Last edited by AK-AlumADuty; 08-15-2018 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-15-2018, 01:42 AM
Dr Matt
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks. I took my spare out last weekend to wire my back up lights and noticed my lock was caked in mud. I bought the truck in Tulsa Ok. and apparently the original owner put mud tire on it for a reason. Cleaned it up and it worked fine, easy to install.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I had to lower my spare when I installed the trailer camera hardware. I don't recall a problem with removing the lock or running the spare tire "winch" but I do recall a small challenge when reinstalling the lock and thinking there was too much plastic.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 AM
lanman_cw
New User
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty
Has anyone had issues with their spare tire lock? I bought new shoes for my truck and since they’re oversized (35x12.50x18), I opted for a matching spare. Lock was a tad dirty so I cleaned it up. Winch mechanism lowered fine, but noted another cable which is connected to a hole in the spare wheel & the other end to the frame; not sure of what it is (enlighten me). Maybe I’ll snap a pic before I slide the new spare underneath...

Back to why I posted... the locking mechanism. Yes, it came out easy, putting it back in, well let’s just say I had a few kind words for the Ford engineers. The lock allowed the whole barrel assembly to rotate and wouldn’t seat into the hole. The key (mind you I have a flip key) became stuck in the lock. I got it out after some more words for Ford’s goon squad! So here’s where Ford failed again; I appreciate the lock so nobody can steal your spare (highly unlikely) but why can’t they make something that isn’t junk? At least a different design...

Still under warranty, so I’m taking it to the dealer as it’s under warranty.

Just wanted to know if others have had the same/similar issues...
I also have that cable lock on my spare, didn't look too closely as I was adding the bed lights and wanted to get that done. But to your main reason for posting, I also had an issue getting the lock back in. I ended up bending my key (also a flip key) and having to bend them back into shape with pliers. Poor engineering and I also had plenty of choice words trying to get it locked again. One thing I noticed is that the tumbler does spin and you have to align it just right for it to fit back in.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:51 PM
Familycrawler
1st Gear
Same Issue

I am having the same issue. I removed the lock fine but after it turned it would not go back in or turn again. Went to Ford and they said make an appt. and bring it in under warranty.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:00 PM
DeputyDiesel
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I have no concern of somebody stealing my spare tire, and in my 12 years of law enforcement I have never taken a report on a stolen spare tire. That being said, can I just leave it unlocked or will that cause an issue?

Old 01-06-2023, 08:04 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel
I have no concern of somebody stealing my spare tire, and in my 12 years of law enforcement I have never taken a report on a stolen spare tire. That being said, can I just leave it unlocked or will that cause an issue?
To get it to come down, you have to have the right tool. The tool used my one manufacturer won't work for another. What works for one model, may not work for another. So it's somewhat secure without the lock on the cover. If someone really wants your spare they would probably cut off the bracket holding the tire up.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:32 PM
trucker LOU
5th Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
The spare tire lock is "indexed" the lugs on the lock are two different sizes. I wish the bean counters would have allowed for a few more inches of cable so I could mount the spare with the valve stem down. While you have the spare out clean & Dielectric grease the wireing plugs .

Old 01-07-2023, 08:10 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by trucker LOU
I wish the bean counters would have allowed for a few more inches of cable so I could mount the spare with the valve stem down.
Huh? I had no problem flipping the spare over (valve stem down) on both my 2017 and 2022. As far as the lock goes, don't ever leave it laying on the bumper step ... ya' might drive off and lose it. DAMHIK! I had to employ a locksmith to assemble the new one matched to my key. I think it was around $150 total to get it replaced.

Old 01-07-2023, 08:48 AM
drj564
Cross-Country
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
I looked under my truck a week after I bought it and then realized someone had cut the cable and no spare. The truck was locked in my barn 90% of the time. The rest of the time it was always in my sight. Went to the dealer and they ordered up the new spare and winch. My truck was produced the last week in 2020 before the Louisville plant shut down for covid over the summer. It probably sat outside and this happened. I will say this though, it looks easier for a thief to get a battery powered grinder and cut the cable than it would be to use the winch. Just say’n.

Old 01-07-2023, 09:53 AM
Back2Gas?
More Turbo
Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts
When I dropped my spare recently and flipped the spare for access to air it up, I could not get the lock back in no matter how I tried. It is pretty weird but I got someone else to try and succeed. Not looking forward to doing that again...